Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Conventional or natural?? (edit)

Posted by   + Show Post
Parenting styles which one are you and why did you choose it.

CONVENTIONAL (previously 'traditional')= typically uses formula (possibly breast fed). Uses disposible diapers, vaccinates, uses stroller/babyswing/bouncers, baby sleeps in own room, circumsizes(if boys), uses many commercial products(laundry soap/tampons/hand sanitizer, ect), traditional hospital birth with meds, ect...

Natural=breastfeed/pump/donor milk, cloth diaper, wear baby, no/delay vaccines, no circ(if boys), more holistic health care, more homeade(mama cloth/laundry detergent/essential oils, ect), home birth/birthing center/no meds, homeschool, co sleep/bedshare, ect

just go with which ever catagory you MOSTLY fit. I know some might have alittle of both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Replies (51-60):
mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I don't fit in with either and really IRL it isn't an issue... on Cafemom on the other hand it is the end of the world! 

So let's see... I breastfed my last two babies well past a year, 3rd only had formula in the NICU, 4th never had a drop. 3rd nursed for 23 months, 4th for 2.5 years. 

I use disposable, tried cloth but probably not very hard... I do like to get "natural" diapers though that supposedly break down faster... 

We stopped vaccinating when I was pregnant with our 3rd so the younger two haven't had ANY and won't... 

I wear the baby AND use a stroller, etc... I really don't see the issue when the baby is content, if the baby wants to be held, I hold them. If not, there is nothing wrong in riding or sitting in a baby safe place. 

co slept with the first until 6 weeks, not at all with the 2nd :( but third and fourth past two years. Youngest still co-sleeps part of the night. Will co-sleep with the next. The kids are welcome to sleep in our room when they want but the older three sleep really well in their rooms at this point. 

We do circumcise because we are Christians that respect the Torah. 

Completely do not trust traditional medicine at all. Most of the time I feel like they do more harm than good or end up causing other issues... Focus on chiro care, holistic/homeopathic, etc...

I do buy the majority of our products but most of them are natural/organic/better for the environment. I clean with Norwex clothes or baking soda & vinegar. 

Hospital birth with the first three, limited meds. Had a water birth with the fourth in a midwife unit (next best thing to home IMO) 

We do home school. 

I would say that is pretty divided 50/50... I feel like I "fit in" better with the non-mainstream but got tired of being harassed for our choice to circ so I gave up on those groups on here... 

Mistygirl
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

traditional and natural I use organic and all natural products but I follow predominantly traditional.

pittymama
by Holly on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

wait how does baby swing/bouncers equal traditional parenting? do women who babywear and breastfeed NOT use swings and bouncers? and i know a lot of natural mama's who didn't have a homebirth. i know it says go with what fits you MOST but this post is a little.. confusing for me. i formula feed, she naps in her swing, LOVES her bouncer, i use tampons (why that is considered a "traditional" thing i'm not sure because i feel like all natural mama's would want to use tampons too), i babywear, i am more into holistic care. 

AprilC35
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM

when i first started having kids, i was more traditional. Now im really really natural. 

SarahsAMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I'm a mix. But if I'd have to choose I'd say natural.

sarahbell811
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Well, I guess I would be more traditional but not completely. I breastfed. I use disposables, I used a stroller/swing/bouncer, my babies have never slept with me(although they did sleep in my room till about 7-8 months, but in their own bed. My son is circumsized. I vaccinate. I use commercial products. I have had 4 different births. One with an epi, an emergency c-section, an all natural VBAC, and a scheduled c-section.

pasteeater
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Traditional but no circ. There's a few other natural things but mostly traditional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM
I don't fit solely in either category.

I breastfeed, use disposable diapers, use natural products that I purchase at the store, babywear and use a stroller, I vaccinate, I won't circumsize a boy if I ever have one, I bedshare with my DD, I will send my daughter to a private school, I had her in a hospital with drugs (but I won't use drugs next time).
alibrezzy154
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:36 AM

natural

Shermy
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

We tend to fall in to natural parenting when it comes to how we roll in our house - although I have never felt like I "fit in" with the "natural" community.

We....
Breastfeed
Baby Wear
Hand/homemade products
Co-sleep
Prefer natural remedies to ailments 
Considering homeschooling (I don't think I would ever do it though)
Used disposable diapers
Circumcised  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)