Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Screw this, I'M DONE!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 23 Replies
4 moms liked this
Today it happened, my MIL an I got into a discussion about god ad I wasn't going to lie to her. I told I didn't really believe in god but honestly I didn't know what was out there. She about had a heart attack, said it scared her because I have her grand kids. WTF does that mean? I am a good mother, AND, I will NEVER force my children to share my beliefs. They have their own minds and they can believe whatever they want. It just makes me sick how some so-called Christians act. I was sort of on a spiritual journey but you know what, IM A GOOD PERSON AND A GOOD MOTHER AND I DON'T NEED GOD OR THE BIBLE TO TELL ME TO BE ONE. F*ck that. I'm not going to let anyone anymore, make me feel that way. And her and my husband and the rest of then can bite me if they can't accept me. I accept them, my daughter goes to church on Wednesday nights, and I'm open to my kids learning about religion and all kinds of things. I'm so pissed right now. I'll get over it but I had to vent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

clapping  I agree with what you are saying.  It's good to think and not feel forced to believe what others tell you to believe in.  Good for you!

Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
((Hugs))

I'm agnostic. My inlaws don't like it, but luckily, they aren't mean about it. Although it helps that my husband doesn't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Lol my MIL flipped as well. I am Pagan and she threw a fit saying I was taking her grandchild to Hell. My DH put his foot down on that one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM
I wish my husband would, he says he doesn't want to get in the middle of it. That pissed me off!

Quoting Aamy:

Lol my MIL flipped as well. I am Pagan and she threw a fit saying I was taking her grandchild to Hell. My DH put his foot down on that one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aamy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Sorry. To bad he wouldn't.

Quoting nodramamama311:

I wish my husband would, he says he doesn't want to get in the middle of it. That pissed me off!

Quoting Aamy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

clapping  I agree with what you are saying.  It's good to think and not feel forced to believe what others tell you to believe in.  Good for you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Stop, take a step back, and breath. Now look at this from her point of view. She raised her son to believe in God and he holds that belief. Due to this I'm sure she was anticipating his children to receive some sort of a religious upbringing/background. That doesn't mean "forcing" them or never allowing them to have an opinion but providing something for them to base their opinions on. Also being that in a sense you have "hidden" your beliefs from her for however many years I'm sure this has come as quite a shock to her. I don't think she was implying you were a bad mother but concerned about them learning about something she obviously values as important that until this point you allowed her to believe you agreed with. Take some time and cool down then talk to her again. What does your husband want the children taught?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM
My ex is pulling similar shit right now. I love how freaked out the boys are about me and everyone else "going to hell". Smdh makes it even better that the main one telling them this is a damn sexual deviant.
nodramamama311
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM
He would love if I were christian too and to raise our kids like that, but, he's at least glad I'm so open to them learning about everything.

Quoting Punkie74:

Stop, take a step back, and breath. Now look at this from her point of view. She raised her son to believe in God and he holds that belief. Due to this I'm sure she was anticipating his children to receive some sort of a religious upbringing/background. That doesn't mean "forcing" them or never allowing them to have an opinion but providing something for them to base their opinions on. Also being that in a sense you have "hidden" your beliefs from her for however many years I'm sure this has come as quite a shock to her. I don't think she was implying you were a bad mother but concerned about them learning about something she obviously values as important that until this point you allowed her to believe you agreed with. Take some time and cool down then talk to her again. What does your husband want the children taught?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Then I think that's fair and something you can tell your MIL. She has the option to share her beliefs with your children. You have the ability to say "Yes this is what Grandma and daddy believe, now here's what mommy believes." It's a great way for your children to learn to respect everyone's belief and make decisions on their own. It would hopefully also make your MIL feel better that she can still share her beliefs with them.

Quoting nodramamama311:

He would love if I were christian too and to raise our kids like that, but, he's at least glad I'm so open to them learning about everything.

Quoting Punkie74:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)