Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

At what age do you teach your children to be self sufficient?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 12 Replies

is 7 years old too young?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MicheleJM
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
To do what exactly? I dont think its too young but it depends on what you are talking about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Always. Life is teaching more and more starting with toddler age. Parents don't seem to be doing it today though. Coping skills are lacking in young adults today also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids have been responsible for getting themselves up in the morning since their first days of school. It is their responsibility to see their alarms, get up, get dressed and ask for breakfast. I pack lunches, but it is their responsibility to make sure their backpacks are all put together.

After school, they know that homework comes before play. (I'm the only mean mom in the neighborhood. All of the neighbor kids don't). It's their responsibility to keep their rooms clean, etc.

I start teaching responsibility early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimpleComSense
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think there is a "too early".  What you specifically make them self-sufficient about varies from child to child.  My son was pouring cereal and milk at 3, my daughter was closer to 5.  Both kids picked out thier clothes and got dressed unassisted by around 3.  By kindergarten, they got themselves up, dressed, teeth brushed and at the breakfast table each morning. By 1st grade, they knew what they needed to do when they got home from school, homework, chores, etc. before the day was theirs.  Of course there were "slips" and that's why they keep us around but, all in all, they were pretty self-sufficient by 6yrs old.  They could make mac and cheese, oatmeal, etc in the microwave.  Again, it depends on the child but, I think you aren't doing your child any good by not try to give them as much opportunity to "do" for themselves as possible.

My husband's niece moved in 4yrs ago with her then 9yr old daughter.  The daoughter had to be gotten out of bed each morning, couldn't make her own breakfast, had to have her clothes chosen, taken to the bathroom and make sure she went to the bathroom and brushed her teeth.  Her mom had to hold her hand when she got in the shower, washed her hair for her, etc.

I considered it "child abuse" I fought with her for three years.  The first thing I put an end to was her taking her daughter to the bathroom and wiping for her.  Next, it was the "showering".  This was a very "sick" relationship which ended in the mom being involutarily committed and the child, now 13 being placed with her grandparents.  They got a 12yr old that could do almost NOTHING for herself.

I agree with Courtney610,,,start teaching responsibilty EARLY...your doing your child a huge favor.

jerzeetomato
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The sooner the better.  

she_walk_softly
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM
My 3yr old is pretty good at it ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Depnds on what??
My kid have chores and things they have to do arund the house. But they are not making ther own meals...doing their own laundry... I'm the mom..I do most everything...and they help out I guess.

Mine are 10 and 7. I get them up in the mornings...make beakfast before I go to work. They pack their lunch for school.. I pick their clothes out usually...they can..and do on the weekends. But..I want them to dress how I want them to for school. I'm up getting ready when they re..so were all brushing our teeth...doing our hair..together.

I make and serve all meals at home...sometimes they make snacks...usually I do..I'm OCD...so I like things done a certain way. They pick up aftre themselves...but I do all the dishes andand main cleaning stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM
I HAVE BEEN TEACHING MINE SEND THY COULD WALK..
IF THY WONT SOMETHING I TELL EM U GET IT ..THY KNOW IF THY WONT SOMETHING ASK FOR IT AND IF I SAY OK GET IT ..NOW GETTING THEM TO CLEAN UP AFTER THEM SELF IS DIFFERENT..I TELL EM UR SCHOOL BAD ,SHOES,WHAT EVER ELSE IS UR RESPONSIBILITY NOT MINE..
stephy_85
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM
It is never to early to teach them to be self sufficient. My three year old knows how to get water for himself and a few other simple task. My 7 yr old can typically fix drinks for himself, can fix a sandwich if he wants one, a bowl of cereal and other small task. Teaching children to be self sufficient is a very important life skill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Quoting MicheleJM:

To do what exactly? I dont think its too young but it depends on what you are talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN