Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do if your daughters friend...***EDIT***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Absolutely stank of cigarette smoke and when she came over it literally made you ill?

My daughter is 10, this is a little girl. Its her parents.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Replies (31-36):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

OMG!  That's awful!  She could get sick from the 2nd hand smoke.  Sounds like she's surrounded by it! Probably not much you can do.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

She DOESN'T smoke it is her parents!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting buttersworth:

Did you ever stand next to an elderly person -in the grocery store or anywhere- I mean, in their 70s or 80s, and they smelled like they probably wear an adult diaper, or needed a wash?

Have you ever had to go down the detergent isle in the grocery store that wreaks of chemicals?

Did you ever hug somebody, work with somebody, whatever - that wore too much perfume>?

I think you need to be graceful and ignore it. It is not going to make you sick. If the smell is too much, chew some gum or a mint or something while she is near you.

To say anything would be so incredibly rude and hurtful to the girl and her parents.

I respectfully say, suck it up

I disagree! You've got to say something so she knows how bad it smells when she smokes. That 's what made me stop smoking when I was young. I was always self conscious that I stunk!

Sunshine257
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I agree I seriously doubt the little girl is smoking at ten! It could happen but I doubt it. I would gather her parents are smoking in the house with her. If that is the case my child would not go over there but I wouldn't not keep him from his friend.

Quoting buttersworth:

Did you ever stand next to an elderly person -in the grocery store or anywhere- I mean, in their 70s or 80s, and they smelled like they probably wear an adult diaper, or needed a wash?

Have you ever had to go down the detergent isle in the grocery store that wreaks of chemicals?

Did you ever hug somebody, work with somebody, whatever - that wore too much perfume>?

I think you need to be graceful and ignore it. It is not going to make you sick. If the smell is too much, chew some gum or a mint or something while she is near you.

To say anything would be so incredibly rude and hurtful to the girl and her parents.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buttersworth
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think an allergy to smoke would be rare or non-existant. Smoke is an irritant no different than if you stood in a stream of it coming from a campfire. If you're outside and a few feet away from a smoker, there shouldn't be any problem. People just come up with all kinds of bizarre, not-true-to-science-fact things because they are brainwashed with having to think like the group with special disregard for the individual. For instance, some people think you will actually make other people around you physically ill from the smell of cigarette smoke on your clothes, as if you were to inhale it. If that were true, we'd all be dead from gas fumes at the pumps, industrial air pollution, the smell of french fries wafted through the air from any nearby McDonald's, the air inside Hollister, or methane expelled from the human body (lol).  I don't see old bitty's like the one in your story up in arms over those air quality issues. Nor any nonsmokers. They are selective with what they think is unhealthy enough to bitch about, and that really infringes on my rights.

Quoting 2metalbabies:

I say this kind of thing everyday! A couple of weeks ago our town had our home oming parade and I was sitting in my friends front yard and smoking. Right as I was getting ready to put out my smoke, an old woman started in on me about how she was allergic to smoke and she was going to have a reaction and that I needed to put it out. I turned to my friend and asked her if her front yard was a no smoking area and she said my yard, my rules and lit up her own smoke. The old woman started in again and another one of my friends looked at her and told her to quit her bitching because she was upwind from our smoke and he could smell her cheap ass perfume from where he was sitting. That got a giggle from the woman's companions and she didn't say another word to us the rest of the parade.
I really don't understand why nonsmokers feel like they have the rights to dictate how we live out lives and feel that they can berate us and treat us like second class citizens! It's ok for me to break out in hives when someone wears a cheap purfume, but I can't complain about it, because that would make me a bitch. I can sympathize with people who have allergies, but there are allergy medications that can be taken. And I'm sorry, but if you're allergic to smoke, odds are that you're also allergic to other things. Have some tact and don't make the poor kid suffer because you can pick and choose your allergies!

Quoting buttersworth:

buttersworth
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:32 AM

The OP didn't seem to think the girl was smoking.

Maybe her parents smoked in the car with her, or maybe her coat hangs in their smokng area. If the OP is that sensitive to this issue, I wonder how strong the smell really is. Maybe some people wouldn't notice it.

Quoting Sunshine257:

I agree I seriously doubt the little girl is smoking at ten! It could happen but I doubt it. I would gather her parents are smoking in the house with her. If that is the case my child would not go over there but I wouldn't not keep him from his friend.

Quoting buttersworth:

2metalbabies
by Jene on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Don't you love it how nonsmokers will go above and beyond what is necessary to prove a point! Some people need to grow up and act like adults. I know several people with "severe" asthma, who should die immediately upon coming in contact with 3rd hand smoke, who are actually smokers and very much alive. I think I'm allergic to all these bullshit allergies!

Quoting buttersworth:

I think an allergy to smoke would be rare or non-existant. Smoke is an irritant no different than if you stood in a stream of it coming from a campfire. If you're outside and a few feet away from a smoker, there shouldn't be any problem. People just come up with all kinds of bizarre, not-true-to-science-fact things because they are brainwashed with having to think like the group with special disregard for the individual. For instance, some people think you will actually make other people around you physically ill from the smell of cigarette smoke on your clothes, as if you were to inhale it. If that were true, we'd all be dead from gas fumes at the pumps, industrial air pollution, the smell of french fries wafted through the air from any nearby McDonald's, the air inside Hollister, or methane expelled from the human body (lol).  I don't see old bitty's like the one in your story up in arms over those air quality issues. Nor any nonsmokers. They are selective with what they think is unhealthy enough to bitch about, and that really infringes on my rights.

Quoting 2metalbabies:

I say this kind of thing everyday! A couple of weeks ago our town had our home oming parade and I was sitting in my friends front yard and smoking. Right as I was getting ready to put out my smoke, an old woman started in on me about how she was allergic to smoke and she was going to have a reaction and that I needed to put it out. I turned to my friend and asked her if her front yard was a no smoking area and she said my yard, my rules and lit up her own smoke. The old woman started in again and another one of my friends looked at her and told her to quit her bitching because she was upwind from our smoke and he could smell her cheap ass perfume from where he was sitting. That got a giggle from the woman's companions and she didn't say another word to us the rest of the parade.
I really don't understand why nonsmokers feel like they have the rights to dictate how we live out lives and feel that they can berate us and treat us like second class citizens! It's ok for me to break out in hives when someone wears a cheap purfume, but I can't complain about it, because that would make me a bitch. I can sympathize with people who have allergies, but there are allergy medications that can be taken. And I'm sorry, but if you're allergic to smoke, odds are that you're also allergic to other things. Have some tact and don't make the poor kid suffer because you can pick and choose your allergies!

Quoting buttersworth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

My daughter has a friend like that, she lives 3 doors down. There is nothing I can do about it, it's their house. They just play upstairs or outside. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)