Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

For those who circumcised their baby...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How many of you actually researched everything about it before making your choice and if you did research what was your reason for doing it after finding out it was not medically needed.

I am writing an article for the local birth network here and so far of moms I have interviewed who circ'd many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong so Id like to find some that actually did full research on it and ended up choosing to do it still.

Please feel free to share links to studys that helped you make your choice as I would like to include the top used resources in my article.

Those with intact babies please feel free to comment as well on how much you did or did not research.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't have a penis, so I let my husband make the decision. He is uncirc'd, he chose for his son to be circ'd. That was good enough for me. It really was only our business, so we alone made the decision.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I already have information on intact children and I have information on women who chose it without researching. I have also done research myself. It doesnt matter what my personal belief is the article will show examples on both moms who did and did not do it on moms who chose it for religious reasons and I want to know if women chose it still knowing it is cosmetic and what were their reasons for doing it. If I wanted it to be just an anti circ paper I wouldnt need anyone elses input on it. I will be asking people for permission to quote them if I am going to use their input. I am a childbirth educator and a doula my job is to give parents information not make choices for them and I have had clients who choose to circ. I have one boy who is and one boy who isnt which is why I was asked to write the article. You dont know me so I do not see how you can judge if I am qualified to write it or not and how you would know if any bias i would have will come in it or not

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM

"full research" in the sense that I am looking for would be more than a couple credible sources. Not just one or two articles on one or two aspects of the procedure or benefits/risks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Yes I researched it. I decided to still do it even after the research because DH and I felt it was the best choice for our son.
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Forgot to mention that I did research on both sides of the fence and decided not to do it. Couldn't be happier with that decision!! Dh is very pleased we left ds natural, he himself is circ'd.

My cousin circ'd her son. She did not research, she asked her pedi and did what he reccomended.

Quoting norahsmommy:

My mother did it 38 years ago because her mother pitched a fit when she said she wasn't going to because her husband was not. So the doc told her he'd 'take a little but not everything' to make grandma happy. Mom did no research.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I will send out a couple messages to some moms I want to quote by tomorrow night if I message you please just let me know if I have your permission and if you would like your screen name in the article or your actual names. Thanks in advance for any input ladies : )

3gr8tKids
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Carmel Please..

Quoting dommad2:

I'll get the popcorn...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.thatsme.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

I did it for the simple fact it keeps him cleaner and that a DOCTOR told me that those that are circumcised have less risk of stds and yeast infections. I didn't do research just listend to the doctors that I asked about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I am confused as to why there needs to be drama involved? we are adults and no one has caused problems so far I would hope it would stay that way.

xoch86
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I already have information on intact children and I have information on women who chose it without researching. I have also done research myself. It doesnt matter what my personal belief is the article will show examples on both moms who did and did not do it on moms who chose it for religious reasons and I want to know if women chose it still knowing it is cosmetic and what were their reasons for doing it. If I wanted it to be just an anti circ paper I wouldnt need anyone elses input on it. I will be asking people for permission to quote them if I am going to use their input. I am a childbirth educator and a doula my job is to give parents information not make choices for them and I have had clients who choose to circ. I have one boy who is and one boy who isnt which is why I was asked to write the article. You dont know me so I do not see how you can judge if I am qualified to write it or not and how you would know if any bias i would have will come in it or not

It is OBVIOUS u are bias because in ur OP it says, "many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong". It being cosmetic has nothing to do with the fact that its medically beneficial. As a childbirth educator, u should be giving facts on BOTH sides, Not telling people that the information they are getting is outdated and has been proven wrong.

I don't have to know u, to know that your research has lead u to believe that circing is medically unnecessary, and purely cosmetic because you just told us! And hey, thats ok! BUT that is what discredits YOU from being able to write anything worth while..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)