Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

For those who circumcised their baby...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How many of you actually researched everything about it before making your choice and if you did research what was your reason for doing it after finding out it was not medically needed.

I am writing an article for the local birth network here and so far of moms I have interviewed who circ'd many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong so Id like to find some that actually did full research on it and ended up choosing to do it still.

Please feel free to share links to studys that helped you make your choice as I would like to include the top used resources in my article.

Those with intact babies please feel free to comment as well on how much you did or did not research.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (231-240):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I researched with my first.  Did the risk/benefit analysis, realized that it didn't matter much to me, either way.  DH insisted on having it done, so we did.  With our second, DH had done more research himself on it, and wasn't sure if he wanted it done.  I said, tough shit, the boys are going to look the same.  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Well, it's never been 'routine' on the East Coast.

Quoting VanessaCB:

Yes it is routine. In some places in the USA, the rates are still high. It is still routinely done in places such as the Midwest. Thankfully the rates are falling all over the rest of the USA .

Quoting EireLass:

I think you're confused, or over-reacting. This is not a routine surgery.

Quoting VanessaCB:

You are COMPLETELY missing the whole point. This is not about MEN's penises, don't you see. Men can do whatever they want with their penises. We are speaking about routine INFANT circumcision which is a human rights violation.

Quoting sweettigeress:

I don't think they are stupid. I simply said they do not care or worry about it. I think you need to worry about other things than men's penises. 

Quoting VanessaCB:

Give me a break. Again you think they are that stupid. Of course there is something wrong with their penis. A healthy and functional part of it was cut off a birth. They have an unnatural penis. Many men discover that something is wrong with their penis when they first start questioning the scar line and discoloration (the majority of cut men have this) . Then when they first hear and begin to understand what circumcision is , that's when they discover that THAT is why they have that scar line and discoloration. Many have sexual problems from being circumcised as infants, such as loss of sensitivity.  No one has to tell them that something is wrong with their penis.....they discover it by themselves. Oh you find it hilarious. The one that will be surprised is YOU because there are in fact thousands upon thousands of men who are angry. They are waking up to understand the ramifications of what was done to them. Thousands are seeking foreskin restorations. As we speak, the AAP, American Academy of Peditricians, is holding it's annual convention in New Orleans. There are men out there protesting who were cut at birth, holding signs such as "I did NOT consent" "My body belongs to me!" "Nobody asked me!". Those are just the brave and vocal ones. The majority are still in silence.  Sure many men prefer their circumcised penis because that's all they have ever known. How hard is that for you to understand?  Of course they are going to be happy with what they have no control over. It takes a special and brave man to admit they are not happy. Slowly they are coming out.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Again...how would they know anything was "wrong" with their penis? They wouldn't. There isn't anything wrong with their penis. I find it hilarious you actually think men worry about it. You'd be surprised to learn that they don't and that many men prefer their circed penis. 

Quoting VanessaCB:

You think boys and men are that stupid?? That someone has to tell them that something is wrong with their penis. All they have to do is stand there naked and look down to see something is wrong with their penis. Many men are angry just for the fact that a healthy and functional part of their penis was cut off like a piece of trash when they couldn't consent. They feel like they were violated.  So sad that you think your son is that stupid that he won't one day do his own research to see why his penis is different than other boys' penises and realize that he is missing something.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Ugh...I agree with this. Boys wouldn't know there was anything "wrong" with their penis if it weren't for crazy fanatic women rushing in to say so. 

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG!!! You said he was a happy circumcised boy. You mean she didn't fuck him up for life by making a decision for him??? They are perfectly happy children and men until a bunch of FEMALE google MD's decide that the parents of these children are evil being infringing on their rights. YOU are the one making a mountain out of a molehill. Trying to make parents feel they did something bad and that's about the shittiest thing you can do to someone especially when they have as you said "a perfectly happy child!!" Get off your high horse and stop worrying about the genitals of perfectly happy and well cared for children.
Quoting VanessaCB:

Vaccines and what you feed your child is not the same as cutting off healthy and functional parts of your child's body.  He is the one with A penis, but your son's penis does not belong to him.  It doesn't matter if he's never complained.  His cut penis is all he has ever known. Most cut men don't question it because it will mean they have to admit that there might be something wrong with his manhood.  If he grew up in a cutting culture such as the USA, then it's not surprising he would be happy to be like the majority of boys/men and of course it's not surprising that an intact man would want to be circumcised when all he sees and hears is how there is something wrong with his natural penis.  The tides are turning though as more and more boys are being left intact  so whole boys in the future will be proud of their natural penises.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Yup.....but they do every day, and on multiple body parts every day.

Quoting VanessaCB:

It's a cosmetic, not medical, procedure since they are cutting off a healthy body part with issues. Parents should not be allowed to cosmetically alter their children in any way for no medical reason.

Quoting EireLass:

It's the parents choice. Just as your choice to do anything medically with your child.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Are people fighting to prevent female genital mutilation ' too intersted in others genitals' also? This is about human rights violation. It's not petty and it's not strange to want every child ( male and female) to keep the healthy body parts they were born with. As adults we can decide to do pretty much anything we want to our bodies, but parents should not be allowed to surgically alter children when there is nothing wrong with them.
Quoting EireLass:

Yes, I'm sure I sound insane. But that aside, why/how do you know so much about these men. These guys are either attention whores, or they really do need counseling. They are carrying this burden for 40 years? Most psych's would wonder why they haven't committed suicide. You are just a little toooooo interested in everyones genitals.

Quoting VanessaCB:

And what makes you think they didn't take this up to their parents. Many have. If the parent was apologetic then many forgive them, but there are some parents who are unsympathetic and bellitle their son's feelings. Some have filled lawsuits against their parents and doctors who circumcised them. YOu think it's a lame attempt at a circ'd dating site????? WTH.  I guess those victims of FGM are speaking out against it as a lame attempt at a female genital mutilation dating site?? Do you even realize you insane you sound?

Quoting EireLass:

Rather then telling the world their penis woes, shouldn't they be taking this up with their parents, and perhaps have family counseling? After all, it must have a very negative affect on his relationship with his parents. If he even speaks to them anymore. I wonder if they've considered lawsuits against their parents. Personally? I think this is a lame attempt at a circ'd dating site.

Quoting sweettigeress:

No doubt. It's a petty thing to be angry about. How do they know they'd like an intact penis any better? 

Quoting EireLass:

They need counseling.

Quoting VanessaCB:

All these men were cut at birth and are brave enough to admit that they are angry. These are just the vocal ones. The number of men coming out to say they are pissed off is growing everyday. Times are changing ladies.  If you want to be on the right side of history, then you will be against routine infant genital mutilation because more and more people are fighting to end it.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Okay, see, once you start calling names, your opinion starts to lose validity. You start acting childish, nobody will take you seriously. With such a strong stance on this, I would have thought you'd learn some public speaking etiquette.

You didn't vax your unknowing child did you? You certainly didn't give them formula or boxed baby food?

Quoting VanessaCB:

Are you that dense? A newborn can't tell the mutilators to stop. It's the grown men they become who are angry because of what was done to them.  Free choice? That is what we are  fighting for. It should be the choice of the one who owns the penis, not the parents.

Quoting EireLass:

You're comparing an adult having that done to a baby having it done? You really think a newborn is angry about it? They're fighting a rediculous fight. Don't they know about free choice? They don't throw it in the trash either.

Quoting VanessaCB:

Let's see someone chop off your clitoral hood without your consent , and see how you feel when someone says it's a "petty thing" to be  angry about.  "How do they know they'd like an intact penise any better?"......they don't and will never know because that choice was taken away from them. That's what they are fighting for. The choice belongs to the owner of the penis. Whether they would be happy with an intact penis or not does NOT matter. It's the fact that someone else decided that that part of their body was worthless and thrown away like it was a piece of trash.  It should have been up to THEM to decide whether their foreskin was worthless and THAT's what they are fighting for.

Quoting sweettigeress:

No doubt. It's a petty thing to be angry about. How do they know they'd like an intact penis any better? 

Quoting EireLass:

They need counseling.

Quoting VanessaCB:

All these men were cut at birth and are brave enough to admit that they are angry. These are just the vocal ones. The number of men coming out to say they are pissed off is growing everyday. Times are changing ladies.  If you want to be on the right side of history, then you will be against routine infant genital mutilation because more and more people are fighting to end it.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I think you have me confused with someone else.

Quoting VanessaCB:

What a cold-hearted person you are. Take your comment below but instead of men/guys, put in WOMEN as in female victims of FGM. Read it again. That's how cruel and heartless you sound. In a way you have been brainwashed by society to believe that a foreskin is a throw away body part therefore you are so callous to these men who feel  like they have been violated because you think "why would they want that.  I had my son/s cut off. It's just a piece of skin."  You don't understand why they would feel like this since to you the foreskin belongs in the trash.  It has no value to you. Well it does to them because it was a part of THEIR body.

I am not interested in everyone's genitals. The parts being chopped off from babies is not the point. If there were other healthy and functional body parts being routinely removed from babies, I would be speaking out against those too.

Quoting EireLass:

Yes, I'm sure I sound insane. But that aside, why/how do you know so much about these men. These guys are either attention whores, or they really do need counseling. They are carrying this burden for 40 years? Most psych's would wonder why they haven't committed suicide. You are just a little toooooo interested in everyones genitals.

Quoting VanessaCB:

And what makes you think they didn't take this up to their parents. Many have. If the parent was apologetic then many forgive them, but there are some parents who are unsympathetic and bellitle their son's feelings. Some have filled lawsuits against their parents and doctors who circumcised them. YOu think it's a lame attempt at a circ'd dating site????? WTH.  I guess those victims of FGM are speaking out against it as a lame attempt at a female genital mutilation dating site?? Do you even realize you insane you sound?

Quoting EireLass:

Rather then telling the world their penis woes, shouldn't they be taking this up with their parents, and perhaps have family counseling? After all, it must have a very negative affect on his relationship with his parents. If he even speaks to them anymore. I wonder if they've considered lawsuits against their parents. Personally? I think this is a lame attempt at a circ'd dating site.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Quoting EireLass:

They need counseling.

Quoting VanessaCB:

AdellesMom
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM
My son was circumcised for religious reasons. I had done some research. But. I didn't know all that I know now. I've talked to my husband, and decided that since he has the penis, he can decide whether or not any future sons are circumcised. He wants his boys to be circumcised. I don't have a problem with it.

I have done the research, and if I hadn't left the decision up to my husband, I'd still circumcise. The benefits outweigh the risks in my opinion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM
You're wasting your time with her.

She only seems to post in circumcision posts. lol

Quoting EireLass:

I think you have me confused with someone else.

Quoting VanessaCB:

What a cold-hearted person you are. Take your comment below but instead of men/guys, put in WOMEN as in female victims of FGM. Read it again. That's how cruel and heartless you sound. In a way you have been brainwashed by society to believe that a foreskin is a throw away body part therefore you are so callous to these men who feel  like they have been violated because you think "why would they want that.  I had my son/s cut off. It's just a piece of skin."  You don't understand why they would feel like this since to you the foreskin belongs in the trash.  It has no value to you. Well it does to them because it was a part of THEIR body.

I am not interested in everyone's genitals. The parts being chopped off from babies is not the point. If there were other healthy and functional body parts being routinely removed from babies, I would be speaking out against those too.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting VanessaCB:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting sweettigeress:

Quoting EireLass:

They need counseling.

Quoting VanessaCB:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM
The fact it was botched and they wont reconstruct it and now he's stuck with a deformity that he'll have to deal with for the rest of his life. Unless I tell him that for 4500 dollars they might be able to fix it.

Quoting EireLass:

Your child, but you couldn't make a medical decision for him?

What has happened since, that makes you regret having it done?

Quoting Anonymous:

It wasn't my place to decide.

Quoting EireLass:

Why do you regret it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I circumcised. And I regret it.
xoch86
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Quoting suziSunshine678:

I agree. I don't think there is a right or wrong opinion here, cause there are clear benefits on both sides. I don't agree that the doctor sould have said, he was gonna do it, and that was that... Ecuador this is your child, and YOUR decision but its a decision I would have made anyway..
mariscilla
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I researched but not as much as I did after it was done. I regret it immensely. Till this day it brings tears and aching to my heart to think I did this to my baby,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)