Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

For those who circumcised their baby...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How many of you actually researched everything about it before making your choice and if you did research what was your reason for doing it after finding out it was not medically needed.

I am writing an article for the local birth network here and so far of moms I have interviewed who circ'd many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong so Id like to find some that actually did full research on it and ended up choosing to do it still.

Please feel free to share links to studys that helped you make your choice as I would like to include the top used resources in my article.

Those with intact babies please feel free to comment as well on how much you did or did not research.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (241-250):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I didn't want to circ my son. His father did. But I have a friend who didn't circ her son, he got an infection that wouldn't have happened if he had been circed and to fix it, she had to get him circed at 2 years old which was much worse. I also had a friend in high school that got it done at 16. Same thing, he had something happen to where he needed to be circed.

SimpleComSense
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I know...it's been going on for days.  The OP has been attacked and credibility called into question because she shouldn't write an article if she has an opinion...People are attacking each other because they should or shouldn't have done this or that...Men are committing suicide because they "lost" their foreskin...

The question was:  Did you do any research before you did or didn't choose to circumcise your child...and if you did, why did you make the choice that you did.

It's like wispering a sentence in a child's ear at a party...by the time it gets to the other side of the circle...it shows very little resemblence to the original sentence! lol

Quoting Anonymous:

These post are always sooooo full if melodrama.

Quatrekins
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Lol, "full research" in her case means, "research until you agree with my point of view".

OP, I researched it on the web and decided to have my son circ-ed because I didn't want him to have to get it done later in life, just in case. Also, DH is cut, so he wanted the LO to be cut as well. And for the record, my son didn't make a peep or shed a tear for the whole procedure.

Quoting xoch86:

Question... What do u believe is considered FULL research?

CafeMom Tickers
xoch86
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Quoting Quatrekins:

That's the thing that annoyed me.. The assumption that is If I had my sons circed I couldn't possibly have done "full" research.. * sigh*
Quatrekins
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, my MIL always makes me feel that way when I turn down her pleas for me to NOT vax my son and feed him RAW milk. She'll beat me over the head with a couple articles or studies that say "raw milk cures everything and absolutely everyone can drink it!" and then tell me I'm wrong or getting my information from teh wrong place when I tell her that hundreds of people get sick every year from raw milk, and the results can be devastating for an infant, and my son is ALLERGIC to milk, so all the enzymes in the world won't keep his intestinal lining from getting irritated and causing him to pass blood and mucus. She also told me that by getting my son vaccinated, I was playing a dangerous game of russian roulette, and my son will SURELY get AUTISM and then my husband won't love him anymore. Because according to HER research, all vaccines cause autism, and they provide no benefit whatsoever in preventing diseases, because nobody gets sick anymore and when they do, they can just take some antibiotics and be all better!

Quoting xoch86:

That's the thing that annoyed me.. The assumption that is If I had my sons circed I couldn't possibly have done "full" research.. * sigh*

CafeMom Tickers
paige8608
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I did do some research when I was pregnant. I decided to circumsize. It was more of a cultural thing & what I'm used to. I could not justify doing anything else. It was just normal form me. 

A few months after my son was born, I took him to his ped (this was his 2nd ped. I left the 1st ped he had that actually did his circ.) & asked her if his penis looked like a normal circumsized penis. She said that she did not think that my son had ever been circumsized! I guess because it looked like a normal uncircumsized penis to her, it was never brought up as a topic of discussion. (Hell...I didn't know what a baby's penis was supposed to look like! Not until I started working in childcare & seeing other baby boys' penised did I notice a difference.) She gave me an Rx and told me to put it on the bit of skin that was still attached. It did not work in separating it.

His ped called in another doc & they told me that my son has a penile adhesion. She gave me a referal to a urologist. The doc there told me that there's nothing really wrong with my son & that he did not recommend re-circumsizing him. At this point I also felt as though I could not/should not put my son through any unneccessary pain or surgery. He would have to be put so sleep. I did not see this as a life or death situation, so I couldn't imagine making my son go through surgery he did not really need.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have my son circumsized....for the simple fact that I would not have to worry so much about my son & his penis and if it's normal or healthy or okay or if it looks right or how he may feel about it as he gets older. After all, I never had plans on not circumcising my son.

xoch86
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Quoting Quatrekins:

Which is why I don't get into vaxing either.. That is a personal decision that every mom should make.. No one is right or wrong, it's about what's right or wrong for each individual family. Two of my 3 kids( almost 4, 4th will not be vaxed)are vaxed.. Research did play a huge part in the change of decision to not vax, but that is and always will be in the end MY decision until they can make it on their own.
As for the mll this.. I personally think that's gross too. Raw milk is just not for us... My mom swears eating raw eggs is so wonderful.. Yah, not gonna happen. She gave them to my daughter in chocolate milk once without telling me, and it gave her diarrhea!i was pissed. Lets say,that never happened again..
Either way though WE are the parents, why should someone else dictate to us what needs to be done for our children..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I didn't research anything. It's a personal preference for me. My kid...my choice.
clippingmom
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I had my son circed because his dad wanted it done and because of a few men whom came into the doctors office ( where I worked) and had to be circed as adults due to infections bladder yeast ect......

Quatrekins
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I totally agree with you here! And that's terrible that she slipped the raw eggs in your daughter's chocolate milk :( My mil gave my son 50/50 rice milk/raw milk and didn't say anything to me. I asked her the next day when the tell-tale mucus/blood doodie showed up in the diaper and she 'fessed up.

Quoting xoch86:

Either way though WE are the parents, why should someone else dictate to us what needs to be done for our children..

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)