Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who circumcised their baby...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How many of you actually researched everything about it before making your choice and if you did research what was your reason for doing it after finding out it was not medically needed.

I am writing an article for the local birth network here and so far of moms I have interviewed who circ'd many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong so Id like to find some that actually did full research on it and ended up choosing to do it still.

Please feel free to share links to studys that helped you make your choice as I would like to include the top used resources in my article.

Those with intact babies please feel free to comment as well on how much you did or did not research.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (251-260):
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM
I'd say it's about 90% here. I've never met a parent of a boy here who did not circ. My sons pedi has 0 intact care knowledge and tried to retract him on the first visit ( I removed his hand gently) and the nurse that weighed him was really surprised that he was 'still' intact.

Quoting VanessaCB:

That's horrible. My son was born in Oregon and according to the nurse at the hospital tour, it was 50/50 when my son was born. They didn't push it on me thankfully.

Quoting norahsmommy:

I agree, I live in the midwest and its rare for a boy to be left intact. I have to sign paper after paper ( when I went for my first prenatal appointment, durring labor and after he was born) that I did NOT want it done. If I had wanted it done I would only have had to sign one paper. I was asked if I wanted him circumsized 8 times durring the 48 hour stay. A few hours before we got out of the hospital the nurse came in to take him to get a heel stick and a hearing test. She just happened to make the comment to my son " and then we just need get you circumsized and then you're ready to go!" in a cutie voice. I said " no, we aren't doing that." she looked confused and shocked and said " why?" I just said it wasn't neccisary and left it at that. I have had 4 kids in 2 different hospitals. Each time I had to sign oodles of paperwork saying I didn't want to circ ( all others were girls but I still had to fill out paperwork 'just in case'.) I was asked durring labor at least twice with each child if I wanted to circ. I was asked at my first prenatal appointment with each as well. If it wasn't routine, or being pushed, why was I asked so much?

Quoting VanessaCB:

Yes it is routine. In some places in the USA, the rates are still high. It is still routinely done in places such as the Midwest. Thankfully the rates are falling all over the rest of the USA .

Quoting EireLass:

I think you're confused, or over-reacting. This is not a routine surgery.

Quoting VanessaCB:

You are COMPLETELY missing the whole point. This is not about MEN's penises, don't you see. Men can do whatever they want with their penises. We are speaking about routine INFANT circumcision which is a human rights violation.

Quoting sweettigeress:

I don't think they are stupid. I simply said they do not care or worry about it. I think you need to worry about other things than men's penises. 

Quoting VanessaCB:

Give me a break. Again you think they are that stupid. Of course there is something wrong with their penis. A healthy and functional part of it was cut off a birth. They have an unnatural penis. Many men discover that something is wrong with their penis when they first start questioning the scar line and discoloration (the majority of cut men have this) . Then when they first hear and begin to understand what circumcision is , that's when they discover that THAT is why they have that scar line and discoloration. Many have sexual problems from being circumcised as infants, such as loss of sensitivity.  No one has to tell them that something is wrong with their penis.....they discover it by themselves. Oh you find it hilarious. The one that will be surprised is YOU because there are in fact thousands upon thousands of men who are angry. They are waking up to understand the ramifications of what was done to them. Thousands are seeking foreskin restorations. As we speak, the AAP, American Academy of Peditricians, is holding it's annual convention in New Orleans. There are men out there protesting who were cut at birth, holding signs such as "I did NOT consent" "My body belongs to me!" "Nobody asked me!". Those are just the brave and vocal ones. The majority are still in silence.  Sure many men prefer their circumcised penis because that's all they have ever known. How hard is that for you to understand?  Of course they are going to be happy with what they have no control over. It takes a special and brave man to admit they are not happy. Slowly they are coming out.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Again...how would they know anything was "wrong" with their penis? They wouldn't. There isn't anything wrong with their penis. I find it hilarious you actually think men worry about it. You'd be surprised to learn that they don't and that many men prefer their circed penis. 

Quoting VanessaCB:

You think boys and men are that stupid?? That someone has to tell them that something is wrong with their penis. All they have to do is stand there naked and look down to see something is wrong with their penis. Many men are angry just for the fact that a healthy and functional part of their penis was cut off like a piece of trash when they couldn't consent. They feel like they were violated.  So sad that you think your son is that stupid that he won't one day do his own research to see why his penis is different than other boys' penises and realize that he is missing something.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Ugh...I agree with this. Boys wouldn't know there was anything "wrong" with their penis if it weren't for crazy fanatic women rushing in to say so. 

Quoting Anonymous:

OMG!!! You said he was a happy circumcised boy. You mean she didn't fuck him up for life by making a decision for him??? They are perfectly happy children and men until a bunch of FEMALE google MD's decide that the parents of these children are evil being infringing on their rights. YOU are the one making a mountain out of a molehill. Trying to make parents feel they did something bad and that's about the shittiest thing you can do to someone especially when they have as you said "a perfectly happy child!!" Get off your high horse and stop worrying about the genitals of perfectly happy and well cared for children.

Quoting VanessaCB:

Vaccines and what you feed your child is not the same as cutting off healthy and functional parts of your child's body.  He is the one with A penis, but your son's penis does not belong to him.  It doesn't matter if he's never complained.  His cut penis is all he has ever known. Most cut men don't question it because it will mean they have to admit that there might be something wrong with his manhood.  If he grew up in a cutting culture such as the USA, then it's not surprising he would be happy to be like the majority of boys/men and of course it's not surprising that an intact man would want to be circumcised when all he sees and hears is how there is something wrong with his natural penis.  The tides are turning though as more and more boys are being left intact  so whole boys in the future will be proud of their natural penises.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM

did it so to keep cleaner

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM

It's part of our religion (Islam) for males to be circumcised. Same with Judaism.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Actually egg yolks are very beneficial to infants and can be started at 4 months. And heck, if she's giving her chocolate milk....milk from a store?....the egg is not the worry.

Quoting Quatrekins:

I totally agree with you here! And that's terrible that she slipped the raw eggs in your daughter's chocolate milk :( My mil gave my son 50/50 rice milk/raw milk and didn't say anything to me. I asked her the next day when the tell-tale mucus/blood doodie showed up in the diaper and she 'fessed up.

Quoting xoch86:

Either way though WE are the parents, why should someone else dictate to us what needs to be done for our children..
Quatrekins
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I don't think they were very beneficial in the case of this woman's DD.

Quoting EireLass:

Actually egg yolks are very beneficial to infants and can be started at 4 months. And heck, if she's giving her chocolate milk....milk from a store?....the egg is not the worry.

Quoting Quatrekins:

I totally agree with you here! And that's terrible that she slipped the raw eggs in your daughter's chocolate milk :( My mil gave my son 50/50 rice milk/raw milk and didn't say anything to me. I asked her the next day when the tell-tale mucus/blood doodie showed up in the diaper and she 'fessed up.

CafeMom Tickers
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Why weren't you able to make the decision? You are his birth mother?

Quoting Anonymous:

The fact it was botched and they wont reconstruct it and now he's stuck with a deformity that he'll have to deal with for the rest of his life. Unless I tell him that for 4500 dollars they might be able to fix it.
Quoting EireLass:

Your child, but you couldn't make a medical decision for him? What has happened since, that makes you regret having it done?

Quoting Anonymous:

It wasn't my place to decide.
Quoting EireLass:

Why do you regret it?

Quoting Anonymous:

I circumcised. And I regret it.
mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The more I looked into, the more I decided it was the right decision FOR US. For medical and religious reasons :) Our midwife agrees, so did every doctor we had ever seen. I am so tired of this debate! I don't go around bashing mothers for not doing it despite hearing testimony from both men and woman that say they wish it had been done to themselves or their spouse...

From Mercola.com: As pointed out by one Mercola reader, it is interesting to note that a newborn’s natural prothrombin levels reach normal levels between days 5 and 7, peaking around the eighth day of life, related to the buildup of bacteria in the baby’s digestive tract to produce the vitamin K that is necessary to form this clotting factor. Day 8 is said to be the only time in a baby’s life when his prothrombin level will naturally exceed 100 percent of normal.

As it turns out, Genesis 17:12 of the Bible mandates the circumcision of infant boys on the eighth day after birth—a recommendation pronounced long before we had the science to back it up. 

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord and this baby boy as well as any other baby boys born to us in the future will be circ'd on the 8th day.  

Pinkee82
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 7:41 PM

For us it was a non issue. Circumcision is rare here. I am amazed at how common it is in some countries and some of the reasons for doing it leave me dumb founded. 

MusicMuse1991
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mnmo3bb:

The more I looked into, the more I decided it was the right decision FOR US. For medical and religious reasons :) Our midwife agrees, so did every doctor we had ever seen. I am so tired of this debate! I don't go around bashing mothers for not doing it despite hearing testimony from both men and woman that say they wish it had been done to themselves or their spouse...

From Mercola.com: As pointed out by one Mercola reader, it is interesting to note that a newborn’s natural prothrombin levels reach normal levels between days 5 and 7, peaking around the eighth day of life, related to the buildup of bacteria in the baby’s digestive tract to produce the vitamin K that is necessary to form this clotting factor. Day 8 is said to be the only time in a baby’s life when his prothrombin level will naturally exceed 100 percent of normal.

As it turns out, Genesis 17:12 of the Bible mandates the circumcision of infant boys on the eighth day after birth—a recommendation pronounced long before we had the science to back it up. 

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord and this baby boy as well as any other baby boys born to us in the future will be circ'd on the 8th day.  

same for us. i have a girl but hubby and i decided that we will be circing our boys should we have any

alc4evermom
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

my son is intact because God made him the way he is for God's reason.  I also do not believe in mutilating someone's genitals, especially when they are too young to consent.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)