Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

For those who circumcised their baby...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How many of you actually researched everything about it before making your choice and if you did research what was your reason for doing it after finding out it was not medically needed.

I am writing an article for the local birth network here and so far of moms I have interviewed who circ'd many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong so Id like to find some that actually did full research on it and ended up choosing to do it still.

Please feel free to share links to studys that helped you make your choice as I would like to include the top used resources in my article.

Those with intact babies please feel free to comment as well on how much you did or did not research.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
AllofFive19
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I researched, along with my husband. In our case we felt it was medically necessary. 

queencreekmom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM
We did. I researched everything to do with my babies to make informed decisions. My main influence though was my dad. He is NOT circumcised and has had issues with it, plus issues with self esteem. He begged me not to do the same to my sons. He said it is harder to go back as an adult. We circumcised both boys and had not one problem. We are very happy with the decision.
katamike
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
2 moms liked this

You know what? I like you... LOL True True. Anon is just an easy way to start drama for some...

Quoting Punkie74:

What a big shock!! An anonymous poster asking about circumcision!! Gee anyone else think drama is trying to be created??

Nathans_mom0612
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I have a legit reason. Although all my boys are cicrcumsized for preference my last had a condition called hypospadias and if we didnt have it fixed he would pee out the bottom of his penis. They needed the extra skin to form his "new" penis which meant he had to be circumsized.
Bellarose0212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Did she say why?

Quoting balagan_imma:

We circ'd our sons. There was no way that we would not. We are Jewish and it is our belief that this is what one does to bring a boy into the Jewish community. In fact, men are commanded to do so.

I knew that there were people who didn't circumcise their boys, but never thought much of it until my cousin's girlfriend, now wife, tried to make me feel like the biggest jerk in the world for having this done to my child. She was just awful and I was a hormonal first time mom, it was not pretty. Funny thing, 3 years later, she had her son circ'd, despite all of the research that she threw at me.

Trinity0820
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:10 AM
I did research and even though these studies that were proven wrong they still have a bit of truth. I circd my son for my own reasons. One of which his fathers are circed. I dont want him to feel he doesn't fit with his dads
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vermontmoms
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM
I did full research on it and was still on the fence. My SO had a cousin that was un'circd and had to have it done as an adult which was terrible. We decided to do it but it was mainly b/c my spouse was so head-strong about it. I made my spouse go in with our kids while itwas being done and comfort them b/c I did not want them left alone during the procedure. I was definitely leaning against it but gave this decision to SO in the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimpleComSense
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I did the research 30yrs ago and chose NOT to have it done.  The Dr. explained how to clean it, not to force the foreskin back etc.  We went along hoppily unti he was almost 6mnth old...Then, a "person" who shall remain nameless (another story entirely) decided she knew better than I about cleaning my son.  She forced the foreskin up over the head and strangulated his penis.  Yup...I tried for several hours to fix the issue and finally, rushed him to the hospital where they had no choice but to circumcise him.

The question next came up 4yrs ago when my grandson was born.  My daughter did the research, was aware of the pros and cons and decided to circumcise her son.  Her reason?  Because children have enough issues with other children and the vast majority of young men are circumcised.  She didn't want to give anyone a reason to tease or bully.  It is easier to keep clean.  Are these good reasons?  Maybe yes, maybe no but, it is why she did it.  All the men in his life are circumcised...so, he is too.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Nope. I never asked either as I like to keep our conversations to a very simplistic subjects.

Quoting Bellarose0212:

Did she say why?

Quoting balagan_imma:

We circ'd our sons. There was no way that we would not. We are Jewish and it is our belief that this is what one does to bring a boy into the Jewish community. In fact, men are commanded to do so.

I knew that there were people who didn't circumcise their boys, but never thought much of it until my cousin's girlfriend, now wife, tried to make me feel like the biggest jerk in the world for having this done to my child. She was just awful and I was a hormonal first time mom, it was not pretty. Funny thing, 3 years later, she had her son circ'd, despite all of the research that she threw at me.

SimpleComSense
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this

In regards to your opinion...I would disagree.  Other than you and one other person, there is no drama.  I'm not sure why you have such an issue here but, I'm sure you have your own personal reasons. 

Regarding the person's ability to write a credible paper regarding this matter...I'm not sure were you are getting your belief that she can't write because she may have an opinion regarding the issue.  She stated that she has one boy who is and one who is not.  That in itself makes her vastly qualified on the subject.  I have written many papers and articles and I, like vertually everyone else who writes, has an opinion regarding what they are writing about.  There is a reason that people who write have a "passion" for it.

Your basis for your opinion I find rather faulty.  The drama created is entirely yours and the other "drama" instigator.

Quoting xoch86:

Quoting Anonymous:

I already have information on intact children and I have information on women who chose it without researching. I have also done research myself. It doesnt matter what my personal belief is the article will show examples on both moms who did and did not do it on moms who chose it for religious reasons and I want to know if women chose it still knowing it is cosmetic and what were their reasons for doing it. If I wanted it to be just an anti circ paper I wouldnt need anyone elses input on it. I will be asking people for permission to quote them if I am going to use their input. I am a childbirth educator and a doula my job is to give parents information not make choices for them and I have had clients who choose to circ. I have one boy who is and one boy who isnt which is why I was asked to write the article. You dont know me so I do not see how you can judge if I am qualified to write it or not and how you would know if any bias i would have will come in it or not

It is OBVIOUS u are bias because in ur OP it says, "many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong". It being cosmetic has nothing to do with the fact that its medically beneficial. As a childbirth educator, u should be giving facts on BOTH sides, Not telling people that the information they are getting is outdated and has been proven wrong.

I don't have to know u, to know that your research has lead u to believe that circing is medically unnecessary, and purely cosmetic because you just told us! And hey, thats ok! BUT that is what discredits YOU from being able to write anything worth while..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)