Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

For those who circumcised their baby...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

How many of you actually researched everything about it before making your choice and if you did research what was your reason for doing it after finding out it was not medically needed.

I am writing an article for the local birth network here and so far of moms I have interviewed who circ'd many of them did it still believing old claims that have been proven wrong so Id like to find some that actually did full research on it and ended up choosing to do it still.

Please feel free to share links to studys that helped you make your choice as I would like to include the top used resources in my article.

Those with intact babies please feel free to comment as well on how much you did or did not research.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Replies (41-50):
Aamy
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM
We researched, and DH and I decided we wanted our son done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Quoting xoch86:

I call bs on this "article" you're writing.. But I guess that doesn't really matter..

I did plenty of research, based on old AND new claims.. And still found that the benefits outweighed the risks. I am on my 3rd son, and he will absolutely be circed.

Let me just say, that u are no one to be writing an article, because u obviously have a biase opinion here. U clearly don't believe in circing, so ur article will be a waste. For the record, for every "disproven" claim, there is another proven one.. So blah..

I agree with this (and I didn't read any further into the replies at this point), except we have one son.

Rooobeee
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You say you did research on this subject. Has it ever occurred to you that the people who wrote the articles that YOU read were probably also biased on the subject of circumcision? How do you know that the authors who wrote the articles didn't already have their own experiences with circumcision? It should be obvious that any one who writes a "yay" or "nay" article is totally biased as to why you should or shouldn't agree with them. OP is writing an article that covers BOTH sides of the argument, and as someone who works in the medical field, I'm sure she has seen both the advantages and disadvantages of having a boy circ'd or left natural.

In my opinion, OP's post does not have a biased opinion. She never said that SHE believed that the old claims were wrong, she said that the MOMS that she interviewed believed it. So, before you start bashing someone, why don't you take the time to actually read and understand what they are saying. As a matter of fact, read the post several times so that you can come up with an intelligent opinion.

Quoting xoch86:

I call bs on this "article" you're writing.. But I guess that doesn't really matter..

I did plenty of research, based on old AND new claims.. And still found that the benefits outweighed the risks. I am on my 3rd son, and he will absolutely be circed.

Let me just say, that u are no one to be writing an article, because u obviously have a biase opinion here. U clearly don't believe in circing, so ur article will be a waste. For the record, for every "disproven" claim, there is another proven one.. So blah..

Rooobeee
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM

My son isn't circumcised, even though I had originally wanted it done. However, my reason for wanting it done was because I thought that it was supposed to be done, so I didn't think to do any research on it. He didn't have it done because he was born sick and was in the NICU for 2 weeks. I did ask a doctor to perform the procedure after he was released, but the pediatrician said that it should have been done at birth and therefore wouldn't do it. Since I was a young single mom with very little family help, I took the doctor at her word. Unfortunately, my son did have an infection twice during his childhood, but he only told his father about it when he would visit, so his dad took him to the doctor. He's 18 now, and hasn't had any problems since then. According to his dad, during his last doctor visit, he was shown how to properly take care of himself.

Would I do it again? I don't know. I have two daughters so I never had to revisit that decision. But if I were to get pregnant again with a son, I would definitely do the research and try my best to make an educated decision. Either that, or leave it up to DH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I left my son intact. He can make the choice when he is older, if he wishes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Do I have your guys permission to quote you in this article? It will be seen by local birth network members and posted on a birth services business page at the end of next month to give you an idea of who will be seeing it.

TaraLani
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We had our son circumcised. I read a few books (what to expect, the free one that was given out by PUblix, state farm, and a few other companies, and I read magazines like American Baby and Parents, etc.) I also spoke with a couple of pediatricians about it. Ultimately we decided that for cleanliness and peace of mind, we would have it done. I have changed some smelly diapers of little boys, both circ'd and not, and it was a lot easier to get the circ'd ones clean. I'm sure some people disagree with me, that's fine, but we felt better getting it done.

finnbar
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

I did it for the simple fact it keeps him cleaner and that a DOCTOR told me that those that are circumcised have less risk of stds and yeast infections. I didn't do research just listend to the doctors that I asked about it.

so you implicity trusted the ones who stood to enjoy a monetary gain from the procedure?

TheMommaJessie
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM

no these doctors were asked long before i ever got pregnant or thought about having kids (i get yeast infections easily so i asked if my hubby then boyfriend could get them from me and how easy it would be since he is circumized) so they had no moneetary gain from my questions now did they

Quoting finnbar:

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

I did it for the simple fact it keeps him cleaner and that a DOCTOR told me that those that are circumcised have less risk of stds and yeast infections. I didn't do research just listend to the doctors that I asked about it.

so you implicity trusted the ones who stood to enjoy a monetary gain from the procedure?

finnbar
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM

They don't pick and choose who to tell the truth to. The medical community in this country has a party line and that party line says "we promote/support/encourage circumcision".   Your doctors knew you were a young woman with plenty of potential to bear children and therefore be a consumer of their circumcision service.

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

no these doctors were asked long before i ever got pregnant or thought about having kids (i get yeast infections easily so i asked if my hubby then boyfriend could get them from me and how easy it would be since he is circumized) so they had no moneetary gain from my questions now did they

Quoting finnbar:

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN