Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Prayer in school?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
  • 53 Replies
2 moms liked this
I am agnostic, but, I respect everyone's religious freedom and everyone's freedom from religion. My husband and his family think we should have prayer in school and I think they are so wrong. It's not particularly because it's school. It's because they want CHRISTIAN prayer in school and I'm thinking what about all the other faiths represented by the many other children there? How fair is that? How offensive would that be to only let the Christian prayers be said every day! It doesn't belong there. It belongs in a church where everyone there shares the same faith or in your home or in a group gathering of like minded people. Religion needs to be seperate from school, unless of course it's a private religious school. Why are Christians always trying to force their beliefs on everyone? You never hear about Jews or Muslims fighting for prayer in school. I wish they would just stop already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We did some when I was in school. Before our band concerts. I think before some games, athletes did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Yeah, we live in a small town and they do that here.

Quoting atlmom2:

We did some when I was in school. Before our band concerts. I think before some games, athletes did.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this
You apparently didn't go to school where I did... the muslims thought they owned the place and wanted their belief as the only belief! That being said I don't think prayer should be required nor should it be banned in schools. In other words let kids choose for themselves if they wish to pray.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peggy_sue82
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Religion needs to be seperate from school.Unless its a private school.It goes with a division of God and state.Especially since not all Christians pray the same.If they do prayer,they need to do it for all denominations.Since they won't they shouldn't have it at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twistandshout
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that America can use every prayer that is uttered. Those that don't want to just don't have too. Just be silent while others do. I believe that every one has the right to chose but, in the same breath you don't have the right to take my privilege to pray.

nodramamama311
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't want to take anything from you but prayer doesn't belong forced in school. If kids want to pray at school they can do so quietly to themselves. Some kids don't wan to hear it, maybe that's why they don't go to church. School is for academics not for religion. I wouldn't go to church and complain about my freedom to not practice religion because that's what church is for, school is not.

I would also add what about eating out? Are restaurants going to start requiring people to pray before they eat? No way that would happen but people still pray among themselves while out to eat and that's fine because they aren't forcing it on anyone. It just shouldn't be forced on anyone anywhere.

Quoting twistandshout:

I think that America can use every prayer that is uttered. Those that don't want to just don't have too. Just be silent while others do. I believe that every one has the right to chose but, in the same breath you don't have the right to take my privilege to pray.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM
So should you never be allowed to state or do anything you believe in while on school property? Don't do drugs... that's your opinion... get it off school property it has nothing to do with academics!!

Quoting nodramamama311:

I don't want to take anything from you but prayer doesn't belong forced in school. If kids want to pray at school they can do so quietly to themselves. Some kids don't wan to hear it, maybe that's why they don't go to church. School is for academics not for religion. I wouldn't go to church and complain about my freedom to not practice religion because that's what church is for, school is not.

I would also add what about eating out? Are restaurants going to start requiring people to pray before they eat? No way that would happen but people still pray among themselves while out to eat and that's fine because they aren't forcing it on anyone. It just shouldn't be forced on anyone anywhere.

Quoting twistandshout:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn355
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this
You arent in school to learn about religion. The same ppl who say that CHRISTIAN prayer should be in schools would be singing an entirely different tune if there children were told that there was going to be a different God prayed to or a different religious format used and if they didnt agree to just stay silent. That would go over like a lead weight!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:25 PM
No no, I said it shouldn't be forced on ALL the kids. If some kids want to pray then they should have their own group or pray to themselves in class. It shouldn't be a requirement is what I am saying. If they want to wear god shirts or whatever then more power to them, I'm just saying its not fair to have an organized set prayer time involving a whole classroom. Lots of schools do a moment of silence in the mornings, students that want to pray can use that time.

Quoting Punkie74:

So should you never be allowed to state or do anything you believe in while on school property? Don't do drugs... that's your opinion... get it off school property it has nothing to do with academics!!

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting twistandshout:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carter210
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
When I lived in my small hometown prayer, church, God was often in school.

Now that we live in a bigger city its not.

While I don't care either way I do think, no matter what religion you are, you should be allowed to pray in school if you choose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN