Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School asks parents to keep hot Cheetos at home

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM
  • 75 Replies

An Albuquerque school is asking parents leave popular snack Flamin' Hot Cheetos out of the children's packed lunches and snacks.

This week, a note went home to Lyndon B. Johnson Middle School parents, explaining how unhealthy the cheese-flavored snacks are. According to the letter, the snack has poor nutritional value, and students eat Cheetos instead of a good snack. Plus, they share the snack, spreading germs.

"My daughter brings Snack Packs to school. I don’t have her bringing a family-size pack of Cheetos to school, just because I know my child and I know she would eat the whole bag in one day," said parent Chante Coleman.

A bag of Cheetos has four servings, but administrators are concerned many students will eat the whole thing, which is equivalent to 44 grams of fat and nearly 700 calories at once.

"I do appreciate that the school is trying to take charge in that way to keep the kids healthy and active," Coleman said.

School administrators said they are encouraging students and parents to pick up a healthier snack.

What are your kids no longer allowed to bring to school?
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThreeTimesThePi
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM

My kid's schools require a healthy snack be sent. Fruit, veggies, crackers, etc. For lunch though, they can bring whatever you pack

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Geez, stay outta packed lunches.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM
No nuts/peanuts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM
6 moms liked this

The school controls the food in the cafeteria and the food that can be brought in for parties. They DO NOT control the food that I provide for my child. When they start paying my grocery bill then maybe they can have a say in it. I don't send unhealthy snack with my kids anyway, but if for some reason they want to bring in Cheetos or cookies it's no one business.  My kids are healthy eaters and rarely eat sweets and candy. So I don't see a big deal with them having them every so often. I'm tired of the parents who are doing their job being punished because other parents are dropping the ball on healthy eating.

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM

My boys' school asks you to send in something under a certain amount of calories if you send in something to pass out at a party.

Aphrodisiac
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

No soda pop

sweettigeress
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd's school doesn't care what they pack for lunch. Just no soda. 

TaraLani
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, mine are homeschooled now, so it's just a matter of what I am willing to let them eat, but there is no way that I would be ok with the school telling me what I can't feed my children for lunch. I mean, it's not even a real reason- "Oh, it's unhealthy." Well, yeah, but so are plain old potato chips! It's not like they are having mulitple allergic reactions, like could happen with peanuts (which by the way, I haven't heard of schools NOT allowing kids to have pb&j for lunch.) I think that if the parents are packing the meals, then they should be able to pack whatever they feel is ok for their children, within reason. I'm fine with the snack being requested to be something healthy, but if it isn't required to be anything special (i.e., potato chips are ok) then they can get over whatever is packed. Just my two cents, although they aren't important anymore, since my kids eat at home every day. :)

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM
No nuts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM
None of the schools my girls ever went to banned peanuts. They had one peanut banned lunch table. A small one. They went to different schools in different states too.

Quoting LyTe684:

No nuts/peanuts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)