Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

have you ever had a parenting FAIL?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i have been a parent for a total of 3 years so far and while I definitely aim for an "A" every day, i know we all have our moments because we are human and it happens unfortunately.

To be specific, my little girl whose 5 months fell off the bed yesterday after a nap. shes been quite the wiggleworm lately and i feel tremendous amounts of guilt about it. but our bed is literally floor-box spring-mattress theres no frame so i knew she wasn't seriously injured. i know its a fairly common occurance as far as parenting fails go, but its just one of mine. i shuddered when i told my husband it happened. I know my mother isnt going to recant the stories of my falling out of the bed. so i am asking for any stories you would prefer to pretend that they never hapnd.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
LavenderHeather
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

BUMP!

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM

when my daughter was 11 monthes old i had her in the umbrella stroller and grocerys  i pulled the stroller up 2 steps onto the deck and reached for the grocerys  down she went blood everywhere broke out her2 front teeth they were still attatched and i couldnt take her to the dentist till monday that was a long weekend

MommaTasha1003
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

WAIT they had boosters back then?.... I was born in '83... I dont think i ever had one!

(lmao! just ask dh he said he did then we both had the same thought-- did my parents use  phonebooks! :-/ ... )

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

Lol..i was born in 1984 and i still remember riding in the back of a pickup o_O and only being in a booster until about 5

Quoting SimpleComSense:
DannieLou
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Too many to count! Lol But they're 9, 11 and 13 now...they survived!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Oh yeah, just the other day. Ds is 5 and while walking to the bus with his friends he smacked his head on the metal door at school. He was fine, got ice and was fine, until he came home. I had a box of new shoes I bought, my purse and my tablet in my other hand and ds was walking next to me telling me about his day when I turned to look at him and smack him in the face with the shoe box, and as I'm turning around to put the stuff down to check if he's ok I hit my elbow right in the spot he hit the door with.

I'm one smooth mommy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM

my parenting fail is that i forgot to buckle my son into his carseat on day after we got done with his o/t it was only a few blocks and he just sat there so i didnt even know that he wasnt buckled in till we got to our next stop.

ack86
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I've loaded up groceries and not buckled my son a couple times. It actually happened today. He yells at me when I start driving, and I stop and buckle him in and then keep going. Once my son's window was down, and I went to put it up, and forgot to tell him not to have his hand there, and his finger got caught. It was bleeding for a minute, but he was fine after I gave him a snack and drink for the rest of the car ride.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetlePea
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I was born in 1983 and dont EVER remember riding in a booster seat, or any other kind of seat except for the cars and occasionally the floor in the back of the station wagon

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

Lol..i was born in 1984 and i still remember riding in the back of a pickup o_O and only being in a booster until about 5

Quoting SimpleComSense:

Yup...but, in my defense...it's was 1981.  We were lucky we HAD carseats and no one had actually "told" us that a child should be in a backward position until 1. The thing was a big, white, plastic thing and it was impossible to get in and out of the car.  It was also pretty impossible to get the baby into it facing backward.  You have to understand...I come from the "what's a seatbelt, bike helmet, drink from the hose and be home by the time the streetlights come on" generation. We sat in cars with parents that smoked with the windows up, let us stick our heads out the windows, go to the store a mile away by ourselves, etc.

Parents are far more "enlightened" now...sometimes TOO enlightened, lol.

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

Most epic.... ur 9 month old in a ff car seat....ur gonna ger REAMED for that

Quoting SimpleComSense:

Oh, any mom who says they "haven't" had an epic fail...is either lying or hasn't actually taken her child home yet! Fails teach us the lessons we need to raise kids, lol

My son was my "tester' baby. He taught me a lot...

At 1wk...I walked into change him when he woke up and noticed there were only a thumb, the index finger and the little finger peaking out of his little sleeper...Where was his other two fingers!  Answer...bent backwards in the cuff...Lesson, make sure all body parts are through cuff and sleeves.  Little people are very "bendy"

At 6wks...I left him for the first time at my sister-in-laws and picked him up after it was dark.  I used cloth and she apparently didn't like to change them...so, in the back hatch of the car, with my husband holding a flachlight, I changed his diaper.  When I got home and went to change him again...I realized that I had pinned the diaper to him but, he never made a sound...hmmm. What did it teach me...always put your finger between the baby and the diaper.  That way you "poke" yourself and not the baby.

At almost 6mnth, I let a "wackadoodle" change my uncircumcised son.  She forced the foreskin over the head and strangulated it. What did I learn? First, don't let a "wackadoodle" anywhere near your child and second...there is such a thing as an "emergency" circumcision.

At 9mnths, I put my son in the backseat of a two door car in his forward facing carseat.  Five miles down the road, I noticed in the rearview mirror that he looked "pale".  I turned around in the front passenger seat and found four of his fingers firmly in the door jam. I screamed, my husband pulled over on the freeway and I openned the door.  His fingers were purple and we rushed him directly to the hospital...still, he never uttered a peep.  What did I take from "THIS" epic fail...first, my son has a condition where he doesn't feel pain like other people. Second, CPS can get to the hospital VERY quickly when they want to. Third, a nurse who listens to a parent and puts the puzzle together is a godsend. Fourth, children need to face backwards until they are one.  He apparently had grabbed the doorjam and was trying to pull himself "up".

My daughter had a baby four years ago.  She was very ill and had an emergency C-section.  The first time she was alone with the baby was about 2wks old.  I called about 30min after I left to check on them and I got a sobbing, hysterical mom.  "I hurt the baby mom!...I'm a terrible mom" "Please come home"...she was 25 but at that moment...she was my baby again.  I came home to a perfectly health, sleeping baby...and a red-eyed, snatty nosed mom.  She had put the baby in this little "cradle" seat and didn't secure the straps. He wiggled out of it and fell about two feet to the very carpeted floor.  I asked her "Okay, what did we learn from this?" she said "That I am a BAD mom!"  I told her "no, what we learned is even newborns can squirm enough to fall out of things.  That is why they provide those cute, padded straps!"

So, everyone has those "epic" fails.  It's okay...just learn a lesson from it!

in love         toddler boytoddler girl
Jacob and Pamela              Logan                  Kassy
      1-8-05                            6-7-04                 3-13-06                

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I was born in 89 and I remembr being potty trained but I don't ever remember sitting in a car seat. . . I guess my mom had a fail! Lol but she also doesn't wear seat belts so maybe that's a different story for a different thread. And yes, I try to reason with her about wearing one. She even "pretends" to wear one while driving by cops. Good ol mama!

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

WAIT they had boosters back then?.... I was born in '83... I dont think i ever had one!

(lmao! just ask dh he said he did then we both had the same thought-- did my parents use  phonebooks! :-/ ... )

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

Quoting SimpleComSense:

mommy2lexinmark
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM
OMG my mom does the SAME thing lol...she says it hurts her to wear one...or something....I'm like wait til ur ass flies out the window and see wat hurts more!!! I shouldn't joke but she's sooo damn stubburn! How old is ur mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was born in 89 and I remembr being potty trained but I don't ever remember sitting in a car seat. . . I guess my mom had a fail! Lol but she also doesn't wear seat belts so maybe that's a different story for a different thread. And yes, I try to reason with her about wearing one. She even "pretends" to wear one while driving by cops. Good ol mama!

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

Quoting SimpleComSense:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)