Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

have you ever had a parenting FAIL?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i have been a parent for a total of 3 years so far and while I definitely aim for an "A" every day, i know we all have our moments because we are human and it happens unfortunately.

To be specific, my little girl whose 5 months fell off the bed yesterday after a nap. shes been quite the wiggleworm lately and i feel tremendous amounts of guilt about it. but our bed is literally floor-box spring-mattress theres no frame so i knew she wasn't seriously injured. i know its a fairly common occurance as far as parenting fails go, but its just one of mine. i shuddered when i told my husband it happened. I know my mother isnt going to recant the stories of my falling out of the bed. so i am asking for any stories you would prefer to pretend that they never hapnd.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
Michellina11234
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:07 AM

with my oldest being 17 I have had a few. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:13 AM

DS1 is 4 years old now and for two weeks he'd come up saying "My *insert random body part here* hurts, I need medicine!"  Over and over, and there was NO reason for it to hurt.

2 nights ago he came up saying his ear hurt.  I was stressed out already and told him to go to bed then.  Within an hour he started screaming and screaming, holding his ear, and suddenly the screaming stopped and blood was pouring out!  I rushed him to the urgent care down the road, and they said he had a middle ear infection and his eardrum had ruptured from the pressure.

It will all heal and since I've gotten him some ear drops he hasn't been in too much pain.  BUT, I feel like I totally let him down.  I should have at least checked!  An ear hurting isn't the same as him demanding medicine for a bumped knee, ears can be more serious.  But I was distracted b/c the 6 month old has been sick (which is why DS1 wanted meds all week!) and I had just given up.

sweettigeress
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM

A few.

jerzeetomato
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM

all the time.  And trust me, the ones that hurt the worst are not when the baby takes a spill off the edge off the sofa.  My son is 18 and we had a whopping argument before he left for class this morning.  While I don't feel at fault, I certainly could have handled it better - so yea, parenting fail.  They never go away.

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I left my son at a gas station when he was 10. I filled up, then went in to pay. My other son, who was 13, and the baby that I used to babysit were also in the car. My 10 y/o had gotten out of the mini-van to wash the windows. I had no idea, so I drove off. I went down the street and parked at a restaurant for lunch, then realized he wasn't with us. That's when my 13 y/o told me that his brother had gotten out of the car. I went back and my son wasn't there. He had started walking-no idea where he thought he was going! Luckily, he came back to the gas station.

AubreeG16
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Yes Lol. The other day at the park. With my 2 year old twins. I was getting a phonecall so I answered it. I walked to the stroller and turned my back for FIVE seconds and what was my monkey girl doing? She was climbing the fence(maybe 4 or 5ft) on the other side of the park. I dropped my phone and sprinter across this park. Its about half the size of a football feild. And got to her just as she dropped over the other side onto the swamp. I looked back to see my son still playing on the swing and quickly swung myself over the fence to grab her. She almost drowned in the water and mud... I felt so bad.. I had to climb back over the fence with her and she was crying and soaking wet and cold. I stripped her down and wrapped her on my (fur lined) coat... I was SO scared... my poor baby..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WheelerWife
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My poor oldest DS was a "starter" baby too.

I forgot to buckle his car seat in at least once. It was before the infant cars seats had bases, so I needed to buckle the seat into the car. At least he was buckled into the car seat.

I also tucked his hands under his butt in the swing once too. He loved sleeping in it and I was desperate for rest, so I buckled him in it with a blanket and tucked those baby hands right under his butt (without knowing it.) He actually slept really well that time but I was horrified that I'd done that. I realize now that it was very similar to swaddling him but at the time I cried because I thought I was a horrible mommy.

I have 3 other kids so I'm sure the mommy fails are endless.
kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Hugs...

That's nothing! I was moderating Back to School Night a few years ago, when I worked as an administrator at my kiddos' charter school. The kids were in another room playing with parent volunteers watching them. My (crazy) 4-year-old was running around, tripped, fell into the frame of the glass and aluminum door, scraped literally half of her forehead off, and required 38 stitches  from a plastic surgeon in the ER. I heard a scream from the room and knew it was my kiddo. Really sucky mom moment.  I felt that she was injured because I was working. Of couse, that is silly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom is 52. She's got a lot of health issues. You wud think she would look to minimize her risk of death but nope, she's brazen. My sister adopted her ridiculous seat belt habit. I don't want to depend on luck to remain alive aftr an accident so I wear one, my kids wear one, my husband wears one. Its not negotiable to me. I think if u have kids shud wear one more just to teach good habits at least. My mom said it hurts her collar bone or something. I told her they have pads for that! I can make you one!

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

OMG my mom does the SAME thing lol...she says it hurts her to wear one...or something....I'm like wait til ur ass flies out the window and see wat hurts more!!! I shouldn't joke but she's sooo damn stubburn! How old is ur mom?

Quoting Anonymous:

I was born in 89 and I remembr being potty trained but I don't ever remember sitting in a car seat. . . I guess my mom had a fail! Lol but she also doesn't wear seat belts so maybe that's a different story for a different thread. And yes, I try to reason with her about wearing one. She even "pretends" to wear one while driving by cops. Good ol mama!

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

WAIT they had boosters back then?.... I was born in '83... I dont think i ever had one!

(lmao! just ask dh he said he did then we both had the same thought-- did my parents use  phonebooks! :-/ ... )

Quoting mommy2lexinmark:

Lol..i was born in 1984 and i still remember riding in the back of a pickup o_O and only being in a booster until about 5

Quoting SimpleComSense:

norwgnwood
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM
They probably cant remember bc of all the times we oopsed and they bonked their heads!

Quoting KRIZZ25:

it happeds..its life.. i have 3 kids..11 year old ,twins 7 ..and i cant tell u the numbers of times i have fucked up..but thar ok and so i am i ..good thing kids cant rember baby years .lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN