Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

have you ever had a parenting FAIL?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i have been a parent for a total of 3 years so far and while I definitely aim for an "A" every day, i know we all have our moments because we are human and it happens unfortunately.

To be specific, my little girl whose 5 months fell off the bed yesterday after a nap. shes been quite the wiggleworm lately and i feel tremendous amounts of guilt about it. but our bed is literally floor-box spring-mattress theres no frame so i knew she wasn't seriously injured. i know its a fairly common occurance as far as parenting fails go, but its just one of mine. i shuddered when i told my husband it happened. I know my mother isnt going to recant the stories of my falling out of the bed. so i am asking for any stories you would prefer to pretend that they never hapnd.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM
I completely understand! Its difficult knowing whether things are legitamate with a child. Whenevr we go to the store my son hunts for candy cakes and cookies and begs for each one. I have to remind myself that my poor child is probably hungry. Not just a sweets monster! I'm glad your little boy is all healed up.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

DS1 is 4 years old now and for two weeks he'd come up saying "My *insert random body part here* hurts, I need medicine!"  Over and over, and there was NO reason for it to hurt.

2 nights ago he came up saying his ear hurt.  I was stressed out already and told him to go to bed then.  Within an hour he started screaming and screaming, holding his ear, and suddenly the screaming stopped and blood was pouring out!  I rushed him to the urgent care down the road, and they said he had a middle ear infection and his eardrum had ruptured from the pressure.

It will all heal and since I've gotten him some ear drops he hasn't been in too much pain.  BUT, I feel like I totally let him down.  I should have at least checked!  An ear hurting isn't the same as him demanding medicine for a bumped knee, ears can be more serious.  But I was distracted b/c the 6 month old has been sick (which is why DS1 wanted meds all week!) and I had just given up.

KRIZZ25
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:56 PM
HAVING FUP DOES NOT MEAN UR A BAD PARENT..IT MEANS UR HUMAN..AND WE ALL FUP.
KDouglas2
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM

My, my I can say I have had MANY!  But the one that sticks out in my mind as the funniest (now) is when I had borrowed my mothers carseat (since my hubby had the other) and just put it iun the car.....welll about an hour later I go and put my 18 mth old DD in her seat, strap her in and take off.  Well after turning left onto another street, my daughter, carseat and all, just tip right over in the back seat.  LOL  I didnt strap the car seat itself in.....felt HORRIBLE.....but thinking back now its just funny......we are parents, we will never be perfect.

jujubear1
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I taught my 7 y/o the term "skanky ho" when I thought she wasn't listening.  You shoulda heard that girl giggle. "Skanky Ho! That's a funny name!" hee hee hee hee hee hee

Meanwhile, dh is grinning and pointing at me while I hang my head in shame.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM
I'm so sorry that hapnd to you! You hear about that hapning to ppl but u don't think it'll be u! At least u weren't like one woman I heard about left one kid at chuck e cheeses and didn't realize she did until she saw her kids face on the news that evening!

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

I left my son at a gas station when he was 10. I filled up, then went in to pay. My other son, who was 13, and the baby that I used to babysit were also in the car. My 10 y/o had gotten out of the mini-van to wash the windows. I had no idea, so I drove off. I went down the street and parked at a restaurant for lunch, then realized he wasn't with us. That's when my 13 y/o told me that his brother had gotten out of the car. I went back and my son wasn't there. He had started walking-no idea where he thought he was going! Luckily, he came back to the gas station.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Wow! I can't imagine how you mustve felt! I swear where do these kids get off taking months to learn how to effectively move, then taking fractions of minutes to potentially hurt kill themeselves. I'm glad u got to yur baby in time. I'm sure u were more traumatized than she was!

Quoting AubreeG16:

Yes Lol. The other day at the park. With my 2 year old twins. I was getting a phonecall so I answered it. I walked to the stroller and turned my back for FIVE seconds and what was my monkey girl doing? She was climbing the fence(maybe 4 or 5ft) on the other side of the park. I dropped my phone and sprinter across this park. Its about half the size of a football feild. And got to her just as she dropped over the other side onto the swamp. I looked back to see my son still playing on the swing and quickly swung myself over the fence to grab her. She almost drowned in the water and mud... I felt so bad.. I had to climb back over the fence with her and she was crying and soaking wet and cold. I stripped her down and wrapped her on my (fur lined) coat... I was SO scared... my poor baby..

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:06 PM
I forgot my youngest in the car last yr. Thats my biggest parenting fail so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:08 PM
This hapnd to me at least twice. It stopped when my son would call for me and tell me the seat is falling! And the first time it hapnd he didn't say a thing. I found out when I reached my destination he was in a fixed sideways slant. Lol

Quoting KDouglas2:

My, my I can say I have had MANY!  But the one that sticks out in my mind as the funniest (now) is when I had borrowed my mothers carseat (since my hubby had the other) and just put it iun the car.....welll about an hour later I go and put my 18 mth old DD in her seat, strap her in and take off.  Well after turning left onto another street, my daughter, carseat and all, just tip right over in the back seat.  LOL  I didnt strap the car seat itself in.....felt HORRIBLE.....but thinking back now its just funny......we are parents, we will never be perfect.

janel09
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I've dropped my oldest 2. The first one, I don't remember well, but the second one, I fell down the stairs with her in my arms and broke my foot. She was okay though.

buttersworth
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:51 AM

I just want to comment on the fact that sometimes parenting mistakes can actually be an advantage to the child. Your kid gets to experience something, which is a learning experience, which is invaluable. Even if that learning experience is finding out that there are physical parameters to the bed that when you cross those, the consequence is to fall. Now he knows. And thank goodness he wasn't hurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)