Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Bil and SIl are so upset ******UPDATe******2nd UPDATE***Final UPDATE*****

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 204 Replies
1 mom liked this

Their youngest son married in June after college. They are 22. So they live 2 hours away from their parents., 4 hours from her parents. They found out they do not plan on visiting our side of the family at all during the holidays. They will visit her family for Thanksgiving as her bday is that week. They want to be alone at Christmas. Issue is on our side his grandpa is sicker and probably will be our last holidays with him. Also his aunt is dying and is 51. To blow off the holidays is a huge blow to Bil and sil and will be for the whole family. He told his mom and dad to NOT lay a guilt trip on them. I told Sil they can just let them do their thing. It will be them who let's down family and may or may not have regrets when their aunt and grandpa dies. 

Update, so now they just may come to get the wedding album I made on Sunday the 23rd, BUT, they do NOT want other family members to come over and to have Christmas on that day.  It can only be a couple hours.  Just another rude thing they are pulling to us.  Can come over but only on their terms.  FYI, MIL thinks they are coming at Christmas.  She assumed and assumed wrong.  IF you can come for a couple hours on the 23rd why can't we just have our Christmas celebration?  You can go home and have your little Christmas Eve and Christmas Day all alone if ya want.  They are bring bratty 2 year olds in all this. 

BIL talked to their son and all the sudden they are coming for not one but 2 nights, the 22nd and 23rd.  Also say if MIL wants to have Christmas on the 23rd they will attend.  Wonder what happened?  BIL got them to come to their senses. 

FIL passed away early this morning.  The newlyweds drove up to say goodbye yesterday, are coming to the funeral and staying all weekend for our Christmas on the 23rd.  FIL couldn't talk but he was coherent and could shake his head yes or no if asked questions yesterday.  He really suffered a lot in his last days. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Let them be. It's their first Christmas together as a married couple, I'd want to be alone too. Just because it may be someone's last Christmas doesn't mean it's the last time they'll see them.

Wanna join? Click the pic!

redwoodlaurie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

They have to learn the hard way. You do what is best and let them be. God knows their heart.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM
So you didn't visit any family at Christmas? We flew from NY to be there for our first Christmas. Isn't the holidays for family?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Let them be. It's their first Christmas together as a married couple, I'd want to be alone too. Just because it may be someone's last Christmas doesn't mean it's the last time they'll see them.

huntersmama711
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM
They are a family now. You can't force them to do something they don't want to. They are adults and will have to live with their choices

Quoting Anonymous:

So you didn't visit any family at Christmas? We flew from NY to be there for our first Christmas. Isn't the holidays for family?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:24 PM

We spent our first Christmas together alone. 

We live 2000 from any family in either direction, we haven't spent an actual Christmas with any family in years. Doesn't bother me. We love our families, but it's a hassle to try to get together on either side.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Wanna join? Click the pic!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Yep, they will have to live with their decision with blowing off dying relatives. Also upsetting grandma. She is under tremendous stress and this will just compound it.

Quoting huntersmama711:

They are a family now. You can't force them to do something they don't want to. They are adults and will have to live with their choices

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Would you though if you lived 2 hours away? I understand 2000 miles. This is a tight knit Italian family also.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

We spent our first Christmas together alone. 

We live 2000 from any family in either direction, we haven't spent an actual Christmas with any family in years. Doesn't bother me. We love our families, but it's a hassle to try to get together on either side.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, I'm not in those shoes. But *I* wouldn't make a big deal of it, even if it was 2 minutes away. They want to establish their own family and their own traditions. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would you though if you lived 2 hours away? I understand 2000 miles. This is a tight knit Italian family also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL, sitting staring at eacb other all Christmas day. Ok

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I can't speak for anyone else, I'm not in those shoes. But *I* wouldn't make a big deal of it, even if it was 2 minutes away. They want to establish their own family and their own traditions. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM
2 moms liked this

LMAO, if they are still in their first year of marriage I highly doubt staring at each other all day is all they will be doing. Bom chicka wow owwwwwwwwww. They'll be rocking around the Christmas tree.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL, sitting staring at eacb other all Christmas day. Ok

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)