Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I think Ancestry.com is a ripoff!!

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM
  • 2 Replies

I gave all the info from birthdates and everything and they still didn't have correct info. I was just trying to research my family and the search results were dead. I just want to find out the names of my grandfather's parents, that info may be hard because my grandpa was born in 1890. Anyone have other suggestions other than state records that I wont have to shell out an arm or a leg for?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:53 AM

You should check out FamilySearch.  It's run by the Mormon church, and they have very extensive genealogical records.  I know that my aunt, who is a professional genealogist, uses it when she doesn't have the time to go to Salt Lake City.  Also, it's free to use.

Jambo4
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Quoting taniamorse85:

You should check out FamilySearch.  It's run by the Mormon church, and they have very extensive genealogical records.  I know that my aunt, who is a professional genealogist, uses it when she doesn't have the time to go to Salt Lake City.  Also, it's free to use.

That's what I use. =)

I also do indexing when I have time (name extracting).  It's when you get a batch of photocopied names from old ledgers, draft records, census.. etc.. and type up the names and dates to be added to the data base so even if you don't find everything you want first go around, new names are added all the time by volunteers. =)

(side note.. anybody can do this if they are interested)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)