Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should I feed their kids??

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughters birthday party is this Saturday at 1pm. Of course we'll have cake and ice cream and other sweet treats. I was wondering if I should set out other food too since its around lunch time? If so what should I make?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
hopefulmom789
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I always buy a pre-made oven pizzas with just cheese. Everyone can have a little slice, and the cake and ice cream will be very filling served along with that. I also serve white milk and yahoo chocolate mini boxes. ( I crringe when I see Mom's serve kool- aid or pop with cake.Yuk!) Too much sweet! Mini- grill cheese sandwhich platter with chips would be a hit With the kids also. Good Luck and have fun!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I know plenty of people who would be quite upset they showed up for a lunch time party and the kids had nothing to eat but cake. I personally would never assume the kids were getting fed unless the invitation specified so, like "pizza and sandwiches will be served before cake", but plenty of people would assume there will be food. A party at 2pm or 3 is "in between" lunch and dinner. But Even a party scheduled at 4 would have people thinking there will be food soon and cake for dessert.

Order a half sheet pizza, cut the pieces in half. Let people nibble on them like appetizers or actual lunch.
1likeme
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM
For a 1PM party I would set out a few things to eat. Chips, dip, wrap sandwiches cut into portions, veggie tray, fruit tray.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

all offices ive worked in on this side of the country prefer to have someone working and keeping the office running during all business hours, which is why the staggered lunch breaks.  the break will be taken regardless, so it doesnt really matter when it is taken. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

That's my experience. Most offices that ive worked with and called on in NYC like people to take lunch at the same time (1pm) so everyone's avail for meetings when needed. I would think it was odd if my staff were taking off for lunch everyday at 11am when there's work to do.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM
If its around lunch, definitely!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mizhoward
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Finger foods.

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM

have chees,buns and lunchmeat on plates they can build sandwiches

annie2244
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Starting a party at 1pm I think is code for 'eat before you come, I'm under no obligation to be serving real food.'.  In fact, unless you get the word out that you will be serving lunch, a lot of kids will have eaten lunch, since their mom's understand the code.

But - it's hard to eat before you come because the noon hour will half be spent getting ready and driving over, so I would serve something real if I were you.

If you want to do lunch, that'd be great, especially if it's a 3 or 4 hour party. Lots of kids like those little hotdogs with the bisquit dough around them, or corn dogs, carrots and dip, and grapes. Finger food, not too messy, but as healthy as your kid will let you serve, (like not pizza), since the rest of the party is junk food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Yes,  you need to serve lunch at a 1pm party!!!

No question.

robyann
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Yes if the party is at 1 I'd expect there to be some type of food served. If it were at 2 then I would assume there would be no food, just the cake and icecream.

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)