Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman Who Got Stuck Between Buildings Surely Feels Dumb Enough Without Your Bullying (VIDEO) Did this story make you laugh? Do you feel bad?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM
  • 5 Replies

Woman Who Got Stuck Between Buildings Surely Feels Dumb Enough Without Your Bullying (VIDEO)

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on November 15, 2012

girl stuck in alleyAn apparently drunk girl in Providence, Rhode Island somehow managed to get herself wedged between two buildings to such a severe degree that she had to be rescued by the fire department. Fifteen years ago, it would have been an embarrassing tale she told for years. Now, it's an Internet sensation, a viral video she'll never live down.

Ouch.

No doubt the decision to walk in such a tiny crevice/alley as a "shortcut" was silly. She was silly. She will regret it. But this is bad. And kind of unfair. She is hardly the first drunk girl to do something dumb and now the whole Internet is laughing at her. See below:

Unlike most stories of viral videos, this wasn't something that was recorded by an amateur and placed on YouTube. But it's something that might have been a local story had the Internet not existed. 

This isn't a major thing. It won't keep her from getting jobs or ruin her life. But it's pretty humiliating. We have seen the way viral humiliation can go from funny to not-so-funny really quickly. There is a fine line between bullying someone and sharing something amusing.

Things are really funny unless you're laughing at someone's expense. And sure, we could say she "deserves" it. After all, she made the poor choice to walk in that alley. And she probably even owes money to the business owners whose stores were ruined by the fire department in an attempt to reach her.

But think about ALL the times you have been drunk and then drop the judgement. This could have been any one of us. Also, have some compassion. Instead of laughing at her, think about this: That must have been TERRIFYING. As someone with mild claustrophobia, I can't even imagine.

So stop laughing, people. This could have been any one of us.

Did this story make you laugh? Do you feel bad?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BL2010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Wow, it didn't make me laugh but I also didn't feel bad for her. Good grief. Hopefully she won't get drunk again and try to do something so stupid.

4flowers4ever
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I agree with you. I didn't find it funny but I don't feel bad for her either.

Quoting BL2010:

Wow, it didn't make me laugh but I also didn't feel bad for her. Good grief. Hopefully she won't get drunk again and try to do something so stupid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It made me snicker and no I didn't feel bad. There are plenty of people out there who get drunk and don't get stuck between two buildings. I also think it's funny that the guy on the right who was being interviewed was trying the whole time not to laugh but failed a few times at grinning.

lga1965
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM
OMG. I have never been THAT drunk. How embarsssing but stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM
WOW
I've heard of people doing dumb stuff sober! Dumb things are not limited!! LOL Getting bit by a snake while trying to get it out of the street!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)