Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Should I be alarmed

Posted by   + Show Post

My son was born 10-18 and he still has his cord stub. It has a smell so called doc have to go in at 9am about. Did I do the right thing? There been many times I thought something went then nothing.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
LivinDeadGurl
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The doctor had to cut one of my boy's stubs off because it wouldn't fall off on it's own.

Conner_Ian
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

The doctor had to cut one of my boy's stub off because it wouldn't fall off on it's own.

What is it like? How old was he

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM
My dd's took a month to fall off. It really started to stink and I took her in. The doc said it wasn't infected but it was headed that way and to start swabbing it with rubbing alcohol 3 times a day. It fell off about a week later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Quoting Conner_Ian:

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

The doctor had to cut one of my boy's stub off because it wouldn't fall off on it's own.

I think he was about a month old. It was coming off, but wasn't fully detaching. The doctor just took out these tiny scissors and gently cut it off. There was a little bit of bleeding and I just had to clean it well daily until it healed.

sweetcat
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM
My younger sons didn't fall off for like a month and it kinda smelled and stuck to the skin too so I called the doctors office and they told me to wipe it and around it with alcohol twice a day, a week later it fell off. My first child it fell off within 7-10 days.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Conner_Ian
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Ouch I don't want them to cut his

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

Quoting Conner_Ian:

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I think he was about a month old. It was coming off, but wasn't fully detaching. The doctor just took out these tiny scissors and gently cut it off. There was a little bit of bleeding and I just had to clean it well daily until it healed.

tarakay0417
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM
It should have fallen off by now. I would take him to the pedi.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM
If you are a first time mom (or any mom) and you're worried than call. It'4 better safe than sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Conner_Ian
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM

They won't do nothing they said wait til he's 5-6 weeks. They said it smells bc it jus rotten flesh but won't take it off. Really getting feed up. :/ and this is my second born.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It is just staying too moist.  It needs to be dry to fall off.  Depending on how long it is, you can trim part of the dead part off yourself.  I am a midwife, and don't use cord clamps, but a small rubber band made just for umbelical cords.  I trim it very short, and it is common to fall off in 3-5 days.  You can use alcohol, or if you are willing to try it, powdered Golden Seal is a very powerful anti-microbial and very astringent (drying).  You can get it from a health food store or you can get the capsules at Walmart.  If you get the capsules, just open one up and sprinkle it all the way around the base of the cord stump.  Make sure you keep it clean and dry, and it will be off before you know it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN