Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family suffering from itchy bumps all over body

Posted by   + Show Post

It started with my husband who this summer started getting very itchy and it didn't pass on to me till we moved into our new house this September. The bumps on both of us didn't appear till about that time as well and they've only escalated since then. I went to the doctor and he said no sign of any type of bug/mites but thought it might be PUPP since i'm pregnant. Well I used the cream he gave me and it had no effect. 

I've started noticing small little bumps on my three year olds back but he doesn't ever complain that it itches so I don't know if that's just coincidence. All three of us do suffer from eczema and i'm wondering if maybe something at our new house has flared the eczema. Just don't know what on earth could have done that.

We have been using the same soaps as we always have and our water doesn't smell very strong of chlorine or anything. 

My husband has it worse then I do but this constant itching and bumps has gone on long enough! We've tried so many different things to help ease the itching:

-vaseline

-aloe

-oatmeal baths

-bath oils

-changing laundry detergent to hypo-allergenic 

-my husband has started benedryl which seems to kind of be working but leaves me SOL with being pregnant

We're just at a loss and having to spend money on the doctor for them to not know what it is seems silly. Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe a stronger method of relieving itching? It would be SO appreciated! I don't think we can stand it much longer!

pregnancy calendar

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Replies (11-17):
Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Well i'm going to make my husband go to the dermatoglist this week then since he has it worse then i do. Here's the kicker though... wouldn't other people that we've been in contact with and that have come over to our house have the same symptoms by now? It would have been over 6 weeks by now.

Quoting woodit2u:

I automatically thought scabies when I read your post. I worked for a dermatologist for two years. Scabies doesn't always present itself in a typical fashion especially once an infestation gets out of control. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I can tell you about our bout with it. It never appeared to be scabies. Not one picture or description appeared to be what I had. The only thing that was right on was the increase of itching after 6pm. My primary said he thought it maybe scabies but wasn't sure at all. I saw 3 different extremely good dermatologist. I had slivers of skin taken on numerous occasions. I went to the top allergist thinking maybe that was it. I went threw over 100 different shots. I was on a prescription strength benedryl taking pills constantly. Then after 6 months DS & DH started showing symptoms. DH's primary swore that it wasn't scabies. I took DS to his primary, crying telling my story. They had 4 doctors in and decided scabies. After spending well over $800 on new bedding, steam cleaning, new towels, etc., cleaning the house and cars, staying in a hotel for 3 days after applying the ointment (for the 4th time) so that the bugs could die off. We were cured. This all took 8 months. It was the most horrible experience ever. Moral of my story .. Keep pushing and try the meds again but with extensive cleaning. I finally figured out I got the scabies from a rental car. I will never rent a car again!.

pregnancy calendar

robyann
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Does the itching increase at night? Sounds exactly like scabies. Many times doctors can not give you a definite or are wrong. Also it may take repeated use of the cream before you are cured. It would also include an immense amount of cleaning.

This is exactly what I thought as I read your post. Try getting some of that RID stuff for head lice and washing your body in it. Well I don't think you should use this when pregnant, but have dh use it and see if it helps him. This is contagous but it can take awhile to spread to another person. Usually if you sleep in the same bed it'll spread quicker.

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

woodit2u
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Not necessarily, but it depends on the type of contact. If it's someone you have had over to dinner or a neighbor's hand you shook then it's unlikely as scabies tends to spread from direct, prolonged contact.

You will need to wash your clothes, bedding, and towels in hot water and dry on the hot cycle. Scabies only lives for about 3 days without human contact so if you can't wash it remove it from an area ya'll have contact with. It is VERY important to treat EVERYONE in the house!

Someone else mentioned RidX. Don't do that. OTC meds don't work on scabies. And ya know... now that I think about it... if your eczema is flaring when you go to the dermatologist make sure he/she is aware. It's possible that your skin may be thicker which would make it harder for the medicine to get in in the amount of time you have it on your skin before you need to wash it off.

Quoting Keatonzmom:

Well i'm going to make my husband go to the dermatoglist this week then since he has it worse then i do. Here's the kicker though... wouldn't other people that we've been in contact with and that have come over to our house have the same symptoms by now? It would have been over 6 weeks by now.

Quoting woodit2u:

I automatically thought scabies when I read your post. I worked for a dermatologist for two years. Scabies doesn't always present itself in a typical fashion especially once an infestation gets out of control. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I can tell you about our bout with it. It never appeared to be scabies. Not one picture or description appeared to be what I had. The only thing that was right on was the increase of itching after 6pm. My primary said he thought it maybe scabies but wasn't sure at all. I saw 3 different extremely good dermatologist. I had slivers of skin taken on numerous occasions. I went to the top allergist thinking maybe that was it. I went threw over 100 different shots. I was on a prescription strength benedryl taking pills constantly. Then after 6 months DS & DH started showing symptoms. DH's primary swore that it wasn't scabies. I took DS to his primary, crying telling my story. They had 4 doctors in and decided scabies. After spending well over $800 on new bedding, steam cleaning, new towels, etc., cleaning the house and cars, staying in a hotel for 3 days after applying the ointment (for the 4th time) so that the bugs could die off. We were cured. This all took 8 months. It was the most horrible experience ever. Moral of my story .. Keep pushing and try the meds again but with extensive cleaning. I finally figured out I got the scabies from a rental car. I will never rent a car again!.

sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Could be bed bugs.

aj_mom
by Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Actually it is perfectly okay to take benadryl while pregnant

Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Ya that's what I hear, I just assumed otherwise. Thanks!

Quoting aj_mom:

Actually it is perfectly okay to take benadryl while pregnant

pregnancy calendar

Keatonzmom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

So I started using my PUPP medication again and I am starting to notice the bumps are getting smaller and the itching is starting to become milder. My husbands dermatologist suggested certain body wash and lotion for him to use for his eczema so I used that too and it seems to be helping. He's starting to feel a little better too after taking some prescription stuff for eczema. If we both keep getting better than i'll definitely be relived to know it's not anything like scabies or mites. 

How funny, and what a coincidence. Two totally different issues but we both had the same symptoms (a little different in looks though). To think.. I've had that medication for a month and could have been better by now if I just didn't give up because I was convinced it was something else at first. Sheesh.. all this uncomfort for nothing. Oh, and my son is just showing signs of dry skin that's already clearing up with the lotion i've been putting on him. 

Thanks all so much for your ideas and thoughts, it's still good to know in case something like this happens again in the future! I'll still try out some of your suggestions for the eczema! 

pregnancy calendar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)