Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it ok to lie to kids about Santa?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

is it ok to tell them there is a Santa Clause when really there isn't? And trying to justify a lie would show them it is ok to do that as long as they get something out of it wouldn't it? What are  your thoughts on it

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

do you buy those things for family and tell them santa brought it or go into debt for those things? where is santa to pay off my credit cards now

robyann
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

That's a decision each mom has to make. Can you justify the lie somehow? Or do you take it as make-believe, like fairey's or princess's? Is Santa a real live person, or is he the spirit of Christmas. It is fun to have that spirit of mystery and excitement with your little ones. If you look at it as black and white with no grey area, then it is lying, so you decide if it's ok or not.

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

Moms_Angels1960
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I think that's taking the magic out of Christmas but each parent has to do what they have to do. I wished I could find that saying about it all being about the Magic and Santa used to be real. I don't see it about being a lie as much as keeping the magic alive.

EarlGrayHot
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM

But you're not teaching them it's ok to lie as long as they get something out of it.  You're teaching them that a PARENT saying Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, or whomever, are ways loving parents use to add a sense of wonder and surprse to a child's life.  The person telling a little white lie (admittedly propped up by a large portion of society when you tell them Santa will bring a gift to a child) is the one who gets something out of it-the joy on a child's face on Christmas morning when he sees a special gift hiding under the tree that wasn't there when he went to bed.  It adds a sense of wonder and delight and mystery to a small child's life.  It teaches them about giving with no expectation of reward save brightening another person's day. 

jillbailey26
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Eh, we like the fun it brings.  Even though we don't make a big deal out of Santa, we don't say "he's not real."  We allow them to believe what they want to believe.  We're not lying to them.  We're allowing them to have imagination while they're young.  

*ETA*  As a child, my parents did the whole Santa thing.  I never felt crushed or lied to by them.  They never even told me he wasn't real, I just grew up and figured it out for myself.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Euphorikmomma
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I wouldn't trade the looks on my kids faces when they ask about Santa for the world, so no I don't feel bad about telling them there is a Santa when he really does not exsist.

danie24
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

When I found out Santa wasn't real I never felt like I was lied to.. or felt sad at all.

I thought my parents were so fun, selfless and thoughtful.. instead of taking credit for so many amazing gifts, they led us to believe that magic was real and wishes really could come true.

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM
We don't do Santa. There's the allowing my kids to believe something is real when it's not, the fact that Santa would be bringing their friends more and better gifts, the fact that we want to keep the focus off of the presents at Christmas time and on the real reason, the fact that I want to teach them the real story of St. Nicholas... We don't judge others who tell their kids Santa is real, and we will be teaching our kids not to spoil it. But Santa is not part of our family Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The way I see it...My parents lied to me,I lied to my kids, and they lie to their kids. It's just the way it works. 

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM

The truth about the magic legend of a man in a red and white fur coat flying through the air to give presents on a sleigh drawn by reindeer is:

1. There is no supernatural magic

2. The iconography mainly comes from a Coca Cola advert

3. The name comes, via Sinter Klaus, from a Christian bishop who lived a long time ago, called Nicholas.  He was bishop of Smyrna in Turkey, and he was a real man, and he was later made a Saint by the Catholic church.   However, he wasn't a very nice man, and he didn't give presents.   He did punch another bishop full in the face, in the middle of an important theological meeting, because he disagreed with him on a point of theology, and led he followers in such a brutal fight that the streets in Rome afterwards were described as running with blood.

4. The legend of gift giving in fact came from an earlier Turkish legend attached to the deity, Veles, and was appropriated by St. Nick as a bit of propaganda.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)