Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think Lindsey Stone deserves to be fired over this photograph?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 119 Replies
1 mom liked this

Woman Posts Stunningly Disrespectful Photo of Herself at Arlington Cemetery

Posted by Adriana Velez on November 20, 2012

lindsey stoneEver regret posting a photo to Facebook? Not STFU-Parents-mock-you regret, I mean OMG, this may have ruined my life regret? Well, consider poor Lindsey Stone. She just might have sunk her whole professional and social life with one incredibly foolish photo.

It all started one day when Lindsay took an employee trip to Arlington National Cemetery (she works for LIFE, a nonprofit that houses adults with disabilities). She saw a sign requesting "Silence and Respect" and just couldn't resist poking a little fun at it. So she had a co-worker photograph her next to the sign, pretending to yell and flip the bird at the sign. And the rest, my friends, is tragic Internet history.

Of course Lindsey posted the photo on Facebook because she thought her friends would appreciate the joke. Instead she got a lot of outraged comments. So she tried to difuse the situation by posting an explanation.

Whoa whoa whoa... wait. This is just us, being the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general. Much like the pic posted the night before, of me smoking right next to a no smoking sign. OBVIOUSLY we meant NO disrespect to people that serve or have served our country.

And her friends were like, what do you mean, "us douchebags?!?" (Inching away from Lindsey like she just farted.) Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey. SIGH.

Her little "hey, I was just joking!" came too late. A former service-member grabbed the photo and started a "Fire Lindsey Stone" Facebook page. The page has 7,521 "likes" as of this writing. Gulp. This morning a representative of LIFE released a statement saying that Leslie and her photographing colleague have been put on unpaid leave

Now the question: Does Lindsey deserve to be fired over this? Should this dumbfoundingly foolish act turn her life upside-down? I don't think we know enough about Lindsey and the kind of work she did for LIFE to pass that judgement. It's up to LIFE to make that decision -- and they certainly wouldn't want to appear to be bending to the will of people who know her only by this one incredibly stupid, ill-advised photograph.

But let this be a lesson to you kids! Post shit like this and it could bite you in the ass. The age of privacy is over. It's sad, but true. But you know what? The people who most need this warning are the foolish ones who come up with flipping-off-Arlington-Cemetery ideas in the first place. I'd like to think someone out there is going to learn something from this, but it'll happen again I'm sure.

Do you think Lindsey Stone deserves to be fired over this photograph?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnapIt
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM
If it was a joke and shes a joker than no. It was of course wrong of her, but if there was someone there to witness it i think the backlash she nas gotten from the public is her punishment. This will go on for a while more for her. It was a stupid prank.

If she really went on a yelling rampage than of course

If she really were actually yelling, im sure she wouldve been arrested or something. She wouldnt have gotten away with it, if it were true

She now considered a disgrace so thats her punishment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
IMHO YES SHE SHOULD BE FIRED
LClark1973
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this

No. I get that vets fight for freedom of speech, but is it only when they agree with what is being said. She has the right to post this picture without being fired for it. Westborough Baptist Church is the biggest bunch of douche bags, and they are protected by the first amendment as nauseating as they are....

sarah.xo
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM
5 moms liked this

No! I think people are to uptight nowadays it was only a joke.

sherry132
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Showed DH this picture, he is a vet, we have friends buried there, and we both agree... lighten up America. She was trying to be funny, a complete fail, but still it was an innoncent stupid act. 

I don't think she should be fired. Now if she were my friend I would delete her, but I really don't see how being stupid and silly affects her job. 

This country has lost the true meaning of freedom of speech. 

nodramamama311
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
No way should she be fired. People need to get over it. She was only trying to be funny, FAIL, but harmless nonetheless.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EarlGrayHot
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

There can be consequences for being a disrespectful idiot.  Free speech is guaranteed-but only from the government and there are exceptions even then.  In other words, the government cannot stop you from saying things but that doesn't mean your employer can't fire you for being a jerk.  I would also ask why is it so important for this grown woman to make a point of disrespecting authority to the point she offends others?  True adults accept that there are reasons for many rules and among them, is to show respect for those servicemen who've died in service of our freedoms.  Her employer has every right to toss her butt out the door if he or she doesn't like her childish behavior.  There is also nothing funny about making a point of disrespecting rules in a cemetary.  Not funny and she deserves it.

JoyfulinSD
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Ironically, the people that she is disrespecting are the ones that fought and died for her right to do that. Fired for it, YES. There is such things as standards of conduct while on a work outing. If she did this on her own time, no. Sadly.
jillbailey26
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM
10 moms liked this

She was on an employee trip.  She was representing the company she works for when she took this picture.  So, I believe she should be fired.

If it were on her own personal time and had nothing to do with work, no.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

smurfy88
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

eh I think people should get over it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)