Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I'll tell if you will, I think my husband's family has the worst Thanksgivings.........yours?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:13 AM
  • 14 Replies

I know it isn't nice but after 20 plus years I am convinced my husband's family has the worst Thanksgivings in the world and yet we continue to go year after year.  Hostess is my sister in law, dirtiest, most fur filled house in the world, bad attitude, sailor level curser and hates her husband.  She always wants to "make money" off of hosting so I bring all the potatoes, wine, butter, coffee, milk, water, rolls, cranberries, vegetables, salad, napkins, sparkling cider, whipped cream, half and half and whatever else.  She has the well to do aunt buy a free range turkey for her to cook but is so afraid of undercooked turkey that we have turkey char.  She always serves as little as possible so she can have the leftovers for her family (1 kid and they are financially well off).  We have to go every year, tried to break away a few times and it was awful!  Everyone bitched all year about how bad it was without us (no food for starters I would guess) and the whole family lives in the same town as we do.

If I didn't laugh I would cry.  Our tradition is to go to the mess and then I do "Thanksgiving Again" the SAturday after Thanksgiving so my kids can actually enjoy all the food, all they want and have a lovely Thanksgiving they are comfortable inviting friends to attend. 

Good news though, this is the last year!  (no really).  My son is off to college next fall and I have already told everyone that I will be having Thanksgiving at our home for him and anyone else who wants to come.  Probably will eventually end up with all the rude people at my house but it's got to be better than this mess!

So,does anyone else have crazy Thanksgivings because they are being nice to hubbies clan?

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
givenshl
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 3:51 AM
Nope, nothing like this but it is funny seeing my FIL get beside himself when my MIL gets a little tipsy and starts taking a little dirty to him..they are divorced so he gets uncomfortable but it cracks me up.
Momsalawyer
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:25 AM

That does sound funny!  Happy Thanksgiving!

dinc
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I think I would have been hosting all these years instead of dragging all that stuff somewhere else.  We do ours at home and the rest of the family goes to SIL.  It is nice but 5 hours away.  There is no room for us to spend the night and we end up leaving early to back to MIL and FIL's house.  I refuse to do it anymore because it is such a hassle.  We also have to board our animals and it is too expensive. 

Good luck with hosting it yourself and Happy Thanksgiving.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Not anymore but once when I was a teenager I went with my dad to my aunt's (instead of my grandma's good old fashion southern Thanksgiving). The stuffing was soupy, yes soupy stuffing, ICK! and that's my favorite part!! I was very upset and that was the last year I did that!!

I make the whole meal all over again the day after, usually. We now go to my sister's in-laws. She is a good cook but she doesn't cook enough for leftovers. I LOVE the leftovers.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

My MIL was exstatic when I first said that I would host Thanksgiving 19 years ago. It meant that she didn't have to cook and she sucks at cooking anyway. Not to mention she get mad if it seems like my growing kids eat more than she deems acceptable.

I also got tired of cooking all day for her and SIL (and my mom and DH and kids) but it was food I wouldn't eat. So this year we decided to have brunch. We also invited some friends who were hugely thankful (unlike our family.) It was nice to have people we like because we like them over instead of the usual suspects.

Litlmama87
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao @ Thanksgiving sucks when you're not there because there's no food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM
My husband's side of the family has an awesome Thanksgiving. I don't refer to them as his family though because they are just as much my family as they are his. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM
My step dad has health issues so we had a salt free thanksgiving. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM

We went to the in-laws as well. DH's family is actaully very nice to be around. So we had a nice time today. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM
No thanksgiving for us...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)