Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Atheists and Christmas

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just thinking about the holidays and was wondering who celebrates it. My question is for those of you who do not believe in God: do you celebrate Christmas? If yes, Why and how do you celebrate it? 

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Replies (11-19):
mybabybugssmile
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM
This.

Quoting danie24:

We are an Atheist family.. we celebrate Xmas the same way most Xians do.. using the Pagan traditions :)

Putting up and decorating a tree, singing songs, giving gifts, playing Santa with our children, making lots of great food and spending time with family and friends.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinaNicu
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I don't believe in God, but I am also not Atheist. I am Pagan.

I celebrate Yule (Winter Solstice), but celebrate on Christmas Day since the kids are out of school and my husband doesn't work.

I thought that if someone does not believe in god then they are an atheist. What is a pagan if you do not mind me asking?

do11face
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM
I'm atheist and its pretty much just a repeat of thanksgiving with decorations and presents, lol. It's bonding time with family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivinDeadGurl
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Quoting TinaNicu:

Quoting LivinDeadGurl:

I don't believe in God, but I am also not Atheist. I am Pagan.

I celebrate Yule (Winter Solstice), but celebrate on Christmas Day since the kids are out of school and my husband doesn't work.

I thought that if someone does not believe in god then they are an atheist. What is a pagan if you do not mind me asking?

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in ANY gods. 

I don't believe in the Christian god, but I do believe in the pagan god and goddess.

LivinDeadGurl
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Oh and this helps with understanding paganism:

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/what_is_a_pagan.htm

Elyssa414
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Same here. :)

Quoting danie24:

We are an Atheist family.. we celebrate Xmas the same way most Xians do.. using the Pagan traditions :)

Putting up and decorating a tree, singing songs, giving gifts, playing Santa with our children, making lots of great food and spending time with family and friends.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queencreekmom
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I'm Christian, but since I don't believe Jesus was born on Christmas, we celebrate the pagan way with the tree, gifts, the secular Santa, etc.

ballerina18
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Yes, we are atheist and we do celebrate Christmas.

To us, Christmas is about celebrating family. We put up a tree, give gifts, do the Santa thing (but we don't tell dd that Santa is real.. we tell the story of St. Nick). We enjoy Christmas music and holiday shopping as well. We simply make the holiday about family rather than religion.

Paperfishies
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 3:12 AM
We're atheists...we celebrate as a family, giving presents, having fun, all the festivities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)