Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

my mother called me a bad mother *piog*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had my kids christmas toys in layaway. As I was looking at my receipt I realized I went completely overboard. So I started looking on ebay, craigslist, and amazon. I found everything I had in layaway, for really cheaper. So I talked to my mother, and told her I was going to walmart today to pay on their layaway, then return everything and just get their things from where I found them.

She went nuts, told me we never had a christmas with used toys. Why am I wanting to do it to my kids just to be cheap?! I'm going to be spending the same amount anyway once I buy the boxes to put the used toys in. So why not stop being a cheap ass and give my kids the toys.

Every year I shop big for my kids, I save all year for christmas toys. But now I just feel silly paying so much for 10 toys per kid($400, 2 kids). When I can spend less money and maybe get more toys and clothes. I havent even bought them any winter/spring clothes yet. Which will most likely be another $200-$300 mainly because of my dd and all her accessories. My sons easier to shop for except for shoes. So my question is. Do you think its wrong for a mother to give her kids used toys and clothes for christmas? Would you ever do it? Money isn't tight for me, but my ex doesn't help with our kids financially so im on my own. I like to have a house full of toys and clothes for them each year mainly for my own selfishness. So thats why I'm asking.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:08 PM
My parents spent within their means. We could spend a ton but we would never spend $400 on Christmas.
barefootmommi
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM
As long as theyr in good condition n ur saving money that u need nothing wrong with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zeesmuse
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:28 AM

you do what you have to do. As long as they are in really good condition... I buy my son used video games for his birthday and Christmas.... so....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM
I live with my mother and am a single mom of 2. I absolutely think my mom should but out of my life i hate the constant criticism and since I've slept with more than one man
In my life shd has put me down when all I need is support i have a newborn and she's always telling me I was never like that with my kids ,. Just feel like she doesn't understand me ur drives me insane I just want to get out of her house so I could live comfortably
ssenter
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I bought my son a rocking horse that naas and the tail wags and it rocks on his own normally 2 a 3 hundred dollars at a yard sale last year for his birthday for 20 dollars it was still in its box looks brand new the grandparents said there granddaughter was scared of it so no you are not a bad mom actually in my opinion you are a better mom because you are being frugal to ensure your kids get everything!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sklw78
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I don't think it is a big deal at all. Do what you feel comfortable with. I bought my oldest a refurbished tablet for Christmas, and I bought my other son a refurbished Ipod for his b-day.

ingrid198
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM

There is no shame in ebay shopping, not everything is necessarily "used" and if it is its used gently. personally i don't buy used especially for toys because some people have bad expriences with purchasing toys that no longer work properly and if I can afford to buy new than I would rather. But again, personal preference. It certainly doesn't qualify you as a "bad mother" :p

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Sorry, but as long as you are living with your mom raising your kids, IMO she has the right to be a little critical.  She is probably worried about it eventually turning into you living with her with many more children.  If you don't like it, move out and support your own kids, don't make her support your family and then bitch about her doing it.  I'm sure she will be much more comfortable when you have moved out also. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I live with my mother and am a single mom of 2. I absolutely think my mom should but out of my life i hate the constant criticism and since I've slept with more than one man
In my life shd has put me down when all I need is support i have a newborn and she's always telling me I was never like that with my kids ,. Just feel like she doesn't understand me ur drives me insane I just want to get out of her house so I could live comfortably

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 24, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I think it is fine to get used toys, clothes, etc Kids dont care if they are new like others have said its better for the kids to have something on christmas then nothing. I would feel like a low piece of shit if i couldnt get my children anything for christmas that is just not right at all. And also most kids will only play with toys for a little while then forget them so its great to buy used instead of new. Dont let your mom get to you. You are a good mom and doing what you should for your kids. They are lucky to have a mom like you keep up the good job dont let anyone get you down.

kaitybird
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I would have just never said anything to your mom.  Why didn't you just cancel the laway instead of paying and then returning???  Do they charge a fee.  I am sure that shopping online you can find some great deals on new toys even cheaper than at Wally world.  Ebay is a great place to shop.  People are going to have to realize that not everyone can afford to always buy new.  You do what you feel is right and to heck with what everyone else thinks.  I am a bargain shopper.  My shopping is usually always done online.  Your best bet, start shopping throughout the year on clearance racks and stuff like that.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)