Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

my mother called me a bad mother *piog*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I had my kids christmas toys in layaway. As I was looking at my receipt I realized I went completely overboard. So I started looking on ebay, craigslist, and amazon. I found everything I had in layaway, for really cheaper. So I talked to my mother, and told her I was going to walmart today to pay on their layaway, then return everything and just get their things from where I found them.

She went nuts, told me we never had a christmas with used toys. Why am I wanting to do it to my kids just to be cheap?! I'm going to be spending the same amount anyway once I buy the boxes to put the used toys in. So why not stop being a cheap ass and give my kids the toys.

Every year I shop big for my kids, I save all year for christmas toys. But now I just feel silly paying so much for 10 toys per kid($400, 2 kids). When I can spend less money and maybe get more toys and clothes. I havent even bought them any winter/spring clothes yet. Which will most likely be another $200-$300 mainly because of my dd and all her accessories. My sons easier to shop for except for shoes. So my question is. Do you think its wrong for a mother to give her kids used toys and clothes for christmas? Would you ever do it? Money isn't tight for me, but my ex doesn't help with our kids financially so im on my own. I like to have a house full of toys and clothes for them each year mainly for my own selfishness. So thats why I'm asking.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Replies (31-33):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

As long as the toys are in good condition, why not get them used at a better price?!  It shouldn't matter as long as your kids will be able to enjoy them.  Besides, a lot of kids just play with a toy for a short period, then move on to something else.  If a kid is not going to use a toy for that long, it makes since to not overspend on it.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

She went nuts, told me we never had a christmas with used toys.

Surely what matters is how much the child will enjoy the toy, not where it came from or how much was paid for it?

My first thought on your mother's reaction was "Tool of the corporations!  Boy have they manipulated people over the years."

kbpegasus
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM

No, I don't think it is wrong at all!  My kids when they were little used to love to go to the local flea market and buy from there.  We didn't have a lot of money so we used to go to yardsales and flea markets and buy their Christmas, birthday toys and clothes from there.  Good bargains!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN