Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My Son's Teacher Fed Him Something He's Allergic To!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM
  • 23 Replies
Both of my kids have SPD (sensory processing disorder) and my younger son has had severe bowel problems since he was born. Both boys also had runny noses that were linked to allergies, and my youngest's nose was almost completely swollen shut and he didn't even notice since he doesn't feel things as well as he should.

Anyway, all of this led to both of my boys being tested for sensitivities to food/environment and both boys had a TON of sensitivities, including gluten and dairy. This happened right before Thanksgiving.

My oldest is 4 and in preschool on Mondays, Wedbesdays, and Fridays. Three days before Thanksgiving break I explained to both of his teachers that he had a bunch of allergies that I was previously unaware of and I would be providing his snack from now on. I also told them I would bring in a list of allergens for them as soon as possible. Monday went fine, but Wednesday one of the teachers was gone. I picked my son up and he said "guess what I had for snack!" and I guessed the foods he had in his backpack. He said "nope! I had regular snack!" I immediately went back into the school and asked his teacher, who confirmed he had regular snack. She claimed she forgot and since I hadn't brought the allergen list she thought it was okay. I told her I had said I'd provide his snacks and he had one in his backpack, and she said "yes I saw that but I only noticed when we were packing up to go home." - even if she had forgotten before, she noticed at the end of the day! It upsets me a lot that she didn't say anything!

My son doesn't have physical symptoms, although the gluten allergy has him underweight and his skin color is off since it was blocking nutrients. He withdrawled for a few days because it was acting like a drug to his body. An allergic reaction lasts up to 4 days and he had JUST PASSED that time, and then he had to start over again. The past two days have been hell! He is acting out, crying over everything, and throwing fits. I am INSANELY frustrated but I like his teachers and his school :( I sent in the list of allergens today but if this happens again I think I will need to say something...but I don't want to get her into trouble, both of his teachers are awesome. Sigh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arabellas_Mommy
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM
I would be uber pissed. You plainly stated that you would provide his snacks. And that you would provide a list as soon as you were able. She shouldn't have given him anything at all! What if she gave him something that caused a bad attack?
smartmommy1050
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM
That's why I was upset! Even though his allergies don't have physical symptoms the doctors said they allergens are effecting him neurologically and messing with his brain! To me that is just as serious, and I'm 100% sure they are right due to his reaction!

Quoting Arabellas_Mommy:

I would be uber pissed. You plainly stated that you would provide his snacks. And that you would provide a list as soon as you were able. She shouldn't have given him anything at all! What if she gave him something that caused a bad attack?

smartmommy1050
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Bump
kaitybird
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I would call the school and see if you could come in and talk to the school nurse if they have one and someone above the teacher along with the teacher.  As everyone should be involved to some point that way this does not happen again.  Next time you may not be so lucky.  I find if you go in and physically talk to them then there will be no doubt in anyone's mind.  Good luck to you.  

TommyAbby
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM

With one of the teachers gone, did the substitute teacher know about the allergies/snacks before she passed them out? I am sorry that it happened, but I think it was an honest mistake. In the preschool I work in, there are brightly colored papers with each child and allergy on the wall next to the teachers desk so she see it or the substitute sees it every day. Try printing up  his name, the allergies, and that you will be sending in snacks on it so NO one will miss it.  Make sure the school nurse gets a copy as well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM
This

Quoting TommyAbby:

With one of the teachers gone, did the substitute teacher know about the allergies/snacks before she passed them out? I am sorry that it happened, but I think it was an honest mistake. In the preschool I work in, there are brightly colored papers with each child and allergy on the wall next to the teachers desk so she see it or the substitute sees it every day. Try printing up  his name, the allergies, and that you will be sending in snacks on it so NO one will miss it.  Make sure the school nurse gets a copy as well. 

smartmommy1050
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM
The sub didn't hand them out, his other regular teacher did (she told me). I did bring in a list of his allergies the following day, so hopefully this doesn't happen again. The part that upset me most, though, was that she chose not to inform me she fed my son the regular snack.

Quoting TommyAbby:

LyTe684
by Tasha on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

It's hard to remember something VERBAL. I don't really blame her since she's been giving him snack all along and you didn't provide her with a note. I don't think you CAN get her into trouble.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Your son needs to be proactive for himself as well. Teach him what he can and cannot have. If no snacks except what he brings, he should know that.
GhettoKoolAide
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
He should know that only after a couple days?

Quoting Anonymous:

Your son needs to be proactive for himself as well. Teach him what he can and cannot have. If no snacks except what he brings, he should know that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN