Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it ok to tell 2 1/2 year old..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Is it ok to tell a 2 1/2 year old that its not ok to be shy?

Options:

Yes

No

Yes, but only in this situation (or others like it)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

is it ok to tell a 2 1/2 year old that it is not ok to be shy? My daughter gets very shy at her ecfe class around the teachers.. if they ask her for example what shape something is she shrugs her shoulders but if I'm around and they ask she will tell them. I asked her why she didn't tell the teachers when they asked her and she said "cause i'm too shy mom." So I told her its not ok to be shy at school when the teachers ask her something because she needs to respect them and talk to them. what do you think, is it ok to tell a toddler it's not ok to be shy?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM
You can work with her on coming out of her shell. I never had a kid that was that shy. One outgoing child and one that was mildly shy.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Dec. 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a shy child.We just worked with her and she slowly got to be more outgoing.Now she is loud.lol

Fyrestar68
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM
I'd want them to be as vocal as possible. It takes work though. My DS is shy, but vocal, he'll hide behind me...screaming mommy, mommy, mommy anytime a stranger approaches him or talks to him that he doesn't know or a person that he doesn't recognize. It's even happened to DF when he grew a beard and DS took one look at him and ran away...lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2kids19yrsapart
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:22 AM

My child is extremely outgoing and a huge bundle of energy at home.  She is in Kindergarten this year, and it is the very first time she has ever been in any type of school/daycare environment.   I found out, before a field trip I was going along on, that she is very shy in school.  She does have her moments of getting in trouble, but most of the time, it is because she won't talk, won't answer her teacher, and just completely shuts down.  It is usually when she is mad at the teacher and just doesn't want to talk to him (one instance was the 50th day of school, they had a 50s party...served ice cream floats, she was mad because she didn't want soda on her ice cream, and she shut down instead of talking to the teacher, we explained later all she had to do was open up and tell the teacher and she could have just had ice cream).  I don't mind her being shy, but I am trying to let her know it is okay to open up and express her opinions, and have a voice.  But I would not tell her it is not okay to be shy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN