Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Gluten free dessert help needed

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

Does anyone cook gluten free?  I'm having a bunch of people over for Christmas and one of the People coming can't have gluten, dairy, or chocolate.  Since I'm surving turkey and veggies I know she will have something to eat.  As long as she stays away from the stuffing, mashed potatoes, and probably all of the desserts that I will also be making.  This will be her first holiday since finding out that a lot of her issues were because of those item so I don't want her to feel left out.  I also have never cooked gluten free so I have no idea what actually tastes good. I was thinking maybe doing a baked apple without a crust, but I'm not sure.  At ideas would be greatly appreciated.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheIrishDuckie
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

You can buy an all purpose gluten free flour. It works perfectly in place of regular.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I made the Thanksgiving dinner at my daughters house. She is gluten free. I had 2 loaves of GF bread that I toasted in the oven for a few hours on very low. Then I cut it into small cubes to make the stuffing. Was wonderful.

You can buy gluten-free flour to make things. The one we use is Cup4Cup. You use it just the same as regular white flour.

alc4evermom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I eat gluten free;

Sorghum flour is a great substitute for wheat flour.  It seems a little pricey at four dollars a bag, however I have found that it stretches farther than poisonous belly bloating wheat flour.   I made milk free tapioca pudding for thanksgiving, although I used egg yolks, it's not necessary and rice starch works a cheap thickener.  Good Luck! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I work with a woman that had to go gluten free because of allergies.  I remember her making a carrot cake and cookies that were gluten free and they were very yummy.  Check the grocery stores in your area to see what is available that is gluten free.

lancet98
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

A lot of websites have gluten, dairy free recipes.   Just do a web search.   Your library also has tons of gluten free books.

Cooking gluten free is really fun and interesting, actually, hope you enjoy it. 

I made a gluten free dessert once that used soy milk and gluten free flour and peaches, it was a big hit.   My SO makes a really cool salad dressing of tofu - he uses a silken tofu and puts it through the food processor to make a thick dressing, then adds seasoning, a bit of onion and chive.

bibdybobdyboob
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Bump for adding recipes later.

bibdybobdyboob
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Easy custard pie recipe (you can add bananas if she wants banana creme)

Crust

2 cups corn or rice chex cereal

3 TBS melted dairy free margarine, (pretty sure Nucoa is dairy free or go with Earth Balance)

2 TBS sugar

Crush the cereal in a plastic bag, then add the margarine and sugar and shake together.  Pat the mixture into a 9" pie tin.  Bake the crust at 400 degrees for 6 minutes before filling it.

Microwave Cream Pie Filling

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch (Call the company to ensure it is gluten-free)

1/8 tsp salt

2 cups soy milk

2 egg yolks

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a microwaveable glass bowl,  combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Add about 1/4 cup of milk and stir until cornstarch is dissolved.  add the remaining milk and whisk until smooth.  Cover wiht wax paper and cook on high in the microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring every minute and a half, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.  Whisk until smooth.

In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly.  Very slowly whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture.  Stir back into the remaining pudding mixture.  Cook uncovered, in the microwave for one minute on high.  Blend in the vanilla.

Pour into the cereal crust

Regarding mashed potatoes, set some aside for her and mash them with soy or almond milk.

Regarding gravy, you can make it with gluten-free cornstarch instead of flour.

Be careful of double dipping.  Make sure spoons from gluten filled items don't go into the gluten-free items.

I'm sure she would love some homemade stuffing as long as you can find a gluten and dairy free bread to make bread crumbs with.  Double check with McCormicks company, but I'm pretty sure all their spices are gluten-free.

She will surely be feeling left out this year.  I think it's awesome you are trying to help her fit in.

crazymommy2007
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Be careful where you get the turkey... Some companies shoot liquid into the birds to make them heavier and look more plump. It's gluten and salt water they put in them. Especially Walmart meats. Good luck, my husbands aunt can't eat gluten, dairy, or anything acidic like tomato sauce. its so hard to cook things for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheIrishDuckie
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM

How does this crust turn out? I've made my own with a certain flour recipe but it falls apart too easy :-(

As an added note, we had 2 dishes for most stuff. The gluten free was sat in one spot so everyone knew to not stick crackers and what not in it.

Quoting bibdybobdyboob:

Crust

3 TBS melted dairy free margarine, (pretty sure Nucoa is dairy free or go with Earth Balance)

2 TBS sugar

Crush the cereal in a plastic bag, then add the margarine and sugar and shake together.  Pat the mixture into a 9" pie tin.  Bake the crust at 400 degrees for 6 minutes before filling it.

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

2 cups soy milk

2 egg yolks

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a microwaveable glass bowl,  combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Add about 1/4 cup of milk and stir until cornstarch is dissolved.  add the remaining milk and whisk until smooth.  Cover wiht wax paper and cook on high in the microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring every minute and a half, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens.  Whisk until smooth.

In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly.  Very slowly whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture.  Stir back into the remaining pudding mixture.  Cook uncovered, in the microwave for one minute on high.  Blend in the vanilla.

Regarding mashed potatoes, set some aside for her and mash them with soy or almond milk.

Be careful of double dipping.  Make sure spoons from gluten filled items don't go into the gluten-free items.

I'm sure she would love some homemade stuffing as long as you can find a gluten and dairy free bread to make bread crumbs with.  Double check with McCormicks company, but I'm pretty sure all their spices are gluten-free.

She will surely be feeling left out this year.  I think it's awesome you are trying to help her fit in.

bibdybobdyboob
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM

It kind of turns out like a graham cracker crust.  I would recommend Corn Chex over Rice Chex since they hold up better.

What a smart idea to have the gluten-free stuff in its own spot. :-)

Quoting TheIrishDuckie:

How does this crust turn out? I've made my own with a certain flour recipe but it falls apart too easy :-(

As an added note, we had 2 dishes for most stuff. The gluten free was sat in one spot so everyone knew to not stick crackers and what not in it.

Quoting bibdybobdyboob:

Crust

2 TBS sugar

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 tsp salt

2 cups soy milk

2 egg yolks

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)