Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

So what should I do, if anything?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
  • 17 Replies
Little back story, there are 2 little girls that live down the street from us, cutest little things, 8 and 5. Their mom lets them go down the road alone, to come over here or whenever. The littlest one has been found outside in the middle of the road before alone. Apparently, mom has a case with CPS open on her already.

So today the girls came over to play with my son, he's 4, but we were on our way to run to the store so I told them to come back in a little bit. The older one says well my moms not home so can we just wait on your porch till you get back? I just about died. I asked if they were ever left at home alone. She says yes, that her mom tells them to stay inside and not open the door for anyone. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! Should I call and make an anonymous report or just let it go? I really don't think they'll do anything sadly but I don't think I could live with myself if something happened and I didn't at least say something. Normally I wouldn't question myself about something like this, I would do it, but these days everyone seems to think I should mind my own business but these are just little girls. Who will stick up for them if their own mother isn't even doing what she is supposed to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsRi
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I would confront the parents about it.  That is young to be left alone, also their mum leaving while they are outside playing is totally irresponsible.  I'd let her know that (if you're willing of course) you'd be happy to keep an eye on them from time to time if she has a quick run or something and the kids are already playing, but if this behaviour continues that you'd have to call CPS.

StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Id call em.

I wouldnt question it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM
We live in a very small town and honestly I'm too chicken to confront parents because I'm afraid of what some of these people might do. I'd rather let the authorities handle it to keep my own kids safe.

Quoting MrsRi:

I would confront the parents about it.  That is young to be left alone, also their mum leaving while they are outside playing is totally irresponsible.  I'd let her know that (if you're willing of course) you'd be happy to keep an eye on them from time to time if she has a quick run or something and the kids are already playing, but if this behaviour continues that you'd have to call CPS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRi
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Well then do that.  

Quoting nodramamama311:

We live in a very small town and honestly I'm too chicken to confront parents because I'm afraid of what some of these people might do. I'd rather let the authorities handle it to keep my own kids safe.

Quoting MrsRi:

TheIrishDuckie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I'd call that's way too young to be left alone.

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM
You're all right. I'm going to call tomorrow.

Quoting TheIrishDuckie:

I'd call that's way too young to be left alone.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chelesa336
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:27 PM

i agree with MrsRi. 

crazymommy2007
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Ya I would call.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loyamom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Yes call.  Maybe it will give the mom a hint that the neighbors are watching and that she'll have to step up as a mom.

Moms Helping Moms Work at Home! www.homeisgreat.com 

bouncing mom

1likeme
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM
I would extend an offer to watch them if the mother needed the help. She is very wrong but in my state there is no legal restriction on when a child can be left alone. If there were I would go ahead and call the police the next time it happened.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)