Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Strep throat...

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 7 Replies
We all came down with the flu and now strep throat \" now my doc is trying to prescribe me an antibiotic. I'm allergic to penicillin so she prescribed me a zpack. Turns out my pharmacist is withholding it from me because I also have an allergy to clindimycin (same family as the zpack, I suppose) my doc was aware of this but still prescribed it and now it's just a waiting fe to see if the pharmacy will get the ok from my doc or if she has to prescribe something different all together.

Anyone experience this? Has anyone ever been allergic to clindimycin but ok taking a zpack?

I've been out of work all week and on the verge of being fired I'm sure because of this...any imput would be appreciated!
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Momma22monkeys
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Bump
LyTe684
by Tasha on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Nope. Good luck! BUMP!

crazymommy2007
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM
I'm allergic to penicillin.. but I didn't find out until I had strep but it still cured it haha. Idk. Is there anything else your Dr can prescribe instead???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Strange.  Clindamycin and azithromycin (the antibiotic in the zpack) are only related in that they are both antibiotics.  They are in two totally different classes of antibiotics.

TommyAbby
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Quoting taniamorse85:

Strange.  Clindamycin and azithromycin (the antibiotic in the zpack) are only related in that they are both antibiotics.  They are in two totally different classes of antibiotics.

They are different as to how they work, but they are similar as in the base of them. Notice the "mycin" at the end? that's your clue. That is what flagged the pharmacist. 

Same if you were to look at the penicillin family: Amoxicillin, Ampicillin..etc

The chance for an allergy to a zpack is still there, but I am sure you can take it just fine.

Momma22monkeys
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM
They're trying to figure out if I should take the chance with a zpack even though I'm allergic to my mycins.
Jenni_Lynne71
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I don't know about this as far as the meds go but I hope they get it figured out for u quick cuz strep throat being untreated can result in rhuematic fever. It doesn't happen often but can happen. It happened to me and now my joints get inflamed and I have to take antibiotics when I get a flareup. Can affect your heart, too. Its also dangerous for me to be around others with strep throat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN