Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Scary Stuff

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

My SO just called me. His sister, who is a great single mom of 3 kids - 15, 6, and 4 is back in the hospital battling Leukemia. She can't receive anymore chemo therapy right now because she is battling a staph infection of some sort that has taken hold of her body and won't let go. This battle started a little over a year ago, she went into remission but it came back.

She is in desperate need of a bone marrow donor. None of her siblings are a match. If you are not on the bone marrow register, PLEASE consider signing up. You could save a life.

http://marrow.org/Home.aspx

The original diagnosis came a little over a year after we buried SO's only biological son after a heroic battle with sarcoma. He was 19. Please, sign up. You could save a life.

(This will be posted on multiple groups - if you see it multiplied, don't be alarmed I really don't want to lose her, she's awesome.)

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gonecrazi
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs and thanks for the info 

Ellen

cjsix
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

huggingHugs Momma! May God show the doctors what is needed to eliminate the infection and what can be used to fight the leukemia. May she have the strength she needs to continue her fight,be wrapped in His comforting arms and filled with peace. 

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM
We just had a bone marrow drive here to help save a little boy. They found a match through it. Have you thought about doing anything like that? I hope she finds one soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm already on the list. I hope she gets her match!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Quoting MrsNewman:

We just had a bone marrow drive here to help save a little boy. They found a match through it. Have you thought about doing anything like that? I hope she finds one soon.

We had a drive at my job for her awhile back, and I am looking for places to host a couple around here. Right now I'm doing an internet campaign and will be setting up a fb page for it when I get back from going to see her at the hospital. Apparently its pretty difficult for people of any ethnicity (African/Native/Asican/etc American) to find a match.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:34 AM

(((Hugs)))   I hope she gets her BMT.  I've been on the registry for close to a decade.

thefiregoddess
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:35 AM

I dont meet medical guidelines to be a donor.. but good luck. Positive thoughts to all!

thefiregoddess
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Yes and even worse for mixed racial backrounds.

Basically marrow (unlike blood) has to come from someone with the same racial backround(s). With all the melting pot things going on, its very hard.

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting MrsNewman:

We had a drive at my job for her awhile back, and I am looking for places to host a couple around here. Right now I'm doing an internet campaign and will be setting up a fb page for it when I get back from going to see her at the hospital. Apparently its pretty difficult for people of any ethnicity (African/Native/Asican/etc American) to find a match.

lnrmom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Yes and even worse for mixed racial backrounds.

Basically marrow (unlike blood) has to come from someone with the same racial backround(s). With all the melting pot things going on, its very hard.

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting MrsNewman:

Luckily cord blood - found in umblical cords and placenta - is something that, if donated (from what I understand) can help anyone. Her cousin is pregnant and ready to pop and has agreed to donate to her. Praying!!

Diamepphyre
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm already on the registry but will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN