Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

She prescribed AVALOX??

For strep throat...anyone ever take it???
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM
I'm sure your Google copy and paste is much more reliable than her 10 years of actual experience in treating actual people for actual illnesses. I'll let her know.

Quoting TommyAbby:

Yes, my daughter did. It worked.

And yes, it is used to treat Strep.

Avelox (Avalox) is a prescription antibiotic used to treat infections caused by certain bacteria. It kills bacteria that can cause sinusitis, pneumonia, and secondary infections in chronic bronchitis. It also fights skin infections caused by staph or strep. Like all antibiotics, Avelox (Avalox) works only against bacteria. It will not cure an infection caused by a virus.

Whoever has the sister who is a PA.. that PA needs to take pharmacology over again. 

TommyAbby
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Actually, it was a reference from my sil.. 20 yr pharmacist. She showed that to me when my daughter was using it... 

And my 15 yrs experience as a Medical Assistant to know how to research meds that I am giving my daughter so I know what side effects it may have...

My hubby's 9 yrs as an RN to agree with me that our doctor knows what he is doing and isn't going to give my duaghter something that won't work...

It was from a drug reference site they use and refer patients to at her pharmacy. Drugs.com They explain meds very well using laymans terms.  Try again. And a PA can't prescribe drugs.. only a doctor or NP. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sure your Google copy and paste is much more reliable than her 10 years of actual experience in treating actual people for actual illnesses. I'll let her know.

Quoting TommyAbby:

Avelox (Avalox) is a prescription antibiotic used to treat infections caused by certain bacteria. It kills bacteria that can cause sinusitis, pneumonia, and secondary infections in chronic bronchitis. It also fights skin infections caused by staph or strep. Like all antibiotics, Avelox (Avalox) works only against bacteria. It will not cure an infection caused by a virus.

Whoever has the sister who is a PA.. that PA needs to take pharmacology over again. 

rayroe2
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I remember I had strep all the time when I was little I don't remember what I would take but doctors arnt going to give you something that will hurt you. reading online is never the best lol it can be very convincing about untrue things or very RARE cases. I had to get my tonsils out due to always getting threp throat

mizhoward
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:03 AM
I took it once and I broke out all over and it irritated my stomach.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Are you joking? All that medical "experience" and you clearly don't know diddly squat. PA's can and do prescribe drugs every day.
Quoting TommyAbby:

Actually, it was a reference from my sil.. 20 yr pharmacist. She showed that to me when my daughter was using it... 

And my 15 yrs experience as a Medical Assistant to know how to research meds that I am giving my daughter so I know what side effects it may have...

My hubby's 9 yrs as an RN to agree with me that our doctor knows what he is doing and isn't going to give my duaghter something that won't work...

It was from a drug reference site they use and refer patients to at her pharmacy. Drugs.com They explain meds very well using laymans terms.  Try again. And a PA can't prescribe drugs.. only a doctor or NP. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

And here is the reason why i don't trust nor like PAs', they lack of medical training, they are irresponsible and they are NOT DOCTORS. (and somehow they believe they are)

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you joking? All that medical "experience" and you clearly don't know diddly squat. PA's can and do prescribe drugs every day.
Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

TommyAbby
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

In NYS they cannot prescribe. They can have the attending prescribe. They themselves cannot sign a script. 

My hubby was looking to enroll to become a PA and every doctor he works with told him NOT to do it for that reason. Too much waiting for the attendings to order meds.. Every one of them said to become a NP because they can write scripts.

Perhaps it is different in your state.. but it truly doesn't matter.

Your sister is still incorrect. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM
We live and she works upstate NY, so I guess you're still incorrect too.

Quoting TommyAbby:

In NYS they cannot prescribe. They can have the attending prescribe. They themselves cannot sign a script. 

My hubby was looking to enroll to become a PA and every doctor he works with told him NOT to do it for that reason. Too much waiting for the attendings to order meds.. Every one of them said to become a NP because they can write scripts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM
You also clearly don't know what you're talking about and, even if you did, your sweeping generalizations are ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous:

And here is the reason why i don't trust nor like PAs', they lack of medical training, they are irresponsible and they are NOT DOCTORS. (and somehow they believe they are)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

TommyAbby
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Funny; I mention NY and you say you live there, yet you hide behind your anon so no one can prove it to be true. 

Whatever.. 

Quoting Anonymous:

We live and she works upstate NY, so I guess you're still incorrect too.

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TommyAbby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)