Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Toddler’s Heroin Overdose Should Have Never Happened - Do you think the parents are to blame?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

Toddler’s Heroin Overdose Should Have Never Happened

Posted by Emily Abbate on December 13, 2012 

FlowersHearing about someone unexpectedly passing before being able to live a full life is always heartbreaking. Hearing about a toddler passing, though, is especially rough. Daniel Jones, a 23-month-old from England, died on May 29 at his home. Initially unexplained, forensic tests later showed that he died from a heroin overdose. His parents, Emma Bradburn and Simon Jones, appeared in court today and were charged with manslaughter and causing or allowing the death of a child.

... it's hard to form words. While we don't know exactly how the heroin got into the toddler's system, one would assume that he either ate it or sniffed it accidentally. So many questions, so very few answers. The toddler died by heroin overdose: Now that's a phrase you don't hear every day.

The fact that there was heroin in the home of a 23-month-old is a major problem to begin with. I won't go straight to blaming the parents here. Sure, a babysitter could have left the drugs around or someone else could have brought them into the home. Regardless, in any situation, parents should know what kind of people are interacting with their child. Personally, I could never imagine inviting someone that would abuse a drug like that into my home, nevertheless near my kid.

Now, Daniel was found at the home with only his two parents at the time -- so herein lies the bigger issue: What were they doing when their toddler found and consumed the drugs? Why were they not watching him? Could Daniel have been saved if they were playing closer attention? Like I said, the questions are endless.

My heart breaks thinking about the aftermath right now. If the drugs belonged to the parents, I highly highly doubt they wanted their baby to come anywhere near them. Because of a careless choice, a toddler is dead. We can only hope that the responsible party takes the blame.

Whether or not the drugs belonged to Emma and Simon, do you think the parents are to blame?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Yes. Regardless of who is taking care of your children, you are still 100% responsible for them (if they're using the line as in the story that it could have been a babysitter, etc. Even if they were unaware of someone's using the drug, still the parents responsibility.

atlmom2
by Susie on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this
If he was in their care they should be charged with murder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alta2008
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Yes they should be blamed either way if it were theirs or not, and seeing they were the only ones there more likely it was theirs. If a druggy was in their home they would have took their drugs with them when they left....And being a parent you don't let people like that in your home, I think they were using the drugs... couldn't they test the parents to see if drugs were in their system and have they done so yet...

PEEK05
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!

iman34
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Alta2008:

Yes they should be blamed either way if it were theirs or not, and seeing they were the only ones there more likely it was theirs. If a druggy was in their home they would have took their drugs with them when they left....And being a parent you don't let people like that in your home, I think they were using the drugs... couldn't they test the parents to see if drugs were in their system and have they done so yet...

I FEEL AND THINK OF IT THE SAME WAY. I AM SORRY THAT A ANGEL WAS TAKEN WAY TO SOON.

Mommy2_two
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Of course the parents are to blame. It is their responsibility to protect and care for their child and they FAILED big time.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Absolutely!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twistandshout
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Well, they are the parents and they are the one who is suppose to look over him. They are responsible for the child and any thing or anyone who comes into their home. Accidents do happen and they might not have known about the drugs being in the home, but sorry to say the parents are responsible for their child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)