Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents say Christmas carols are form of bullying

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM
  • 71 Replies

Parents Say Christmas Carols are Form of Bullying

Parents Say Christmas Carols are Form of Bullying

Dec 16, 2012

By Todd Starnes

A group of parents in Missoula, Mont. are upset over the religious nature of Christmas songs performed at a local elementary school - alleging the songs about the Baby Jesus is unconstitutional and a "form of bullying."

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The parents, who declined to be identified, are threatening to sue the Missoula County Public School District unless songs like "Joy to the World" and "Good Christian Men Rejoice" are replaced with secular tunes.

"Bullying is such a hot topic, yet that seems to be what is occurring here," the parents wrote in a letter obtained by The Missoulian. "When the children are singing about the lord and savior Jesus Christ - public school is not the place."

The complaint came from parents who have children attending Chief Charlo Elementary School. A number of students are Jewish, Buddhist, and Muslim.

They said they have no problem with Frosty the Snowman or Santa Claus - but the real reason for the Christmas season has no place in school concerts, they argued.

"One of the largest complaints last year was the young children singing about "their Lord," they wrote.

Superintendent Alex Apostle told The Missoulian that he takes separation of church and state issues seriously.

"These are difficult waters sometimes, and I think we are moving forward in a respectful way," he told the newspaper. "We as a school system, want our children to enjoy the holiday season. In the process, we are obviously respectful of the beliefs and cultures of all children and their families.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
junebaby11
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:50 AM
4 moms liked this
For fucks sake you can do anything now without offending someone, I don't give two shits what u song at Christmas as long as it sounds nice lol it could be,about a damn purple cat just make it nice
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't they have the option of their kid not participating in the performance?  I know my kids always come home with papers giving us the option.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

LyTe684
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Pretty much... lol

Quoting junebaby11:

For fucks sake you can do anything now without offending someone, I don't give two shits what u song at Christmas as long as it sounds nice lol it could be,about a damn purple cat just make it nice

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Oh brother...

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

robbinsroost
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this
My oldest learned Hannukkah songs in K and 1st. We are not Jewish, we are Christian. I did not care and we had fun singing the songs together. It is always fun to learn about other cultures. Just because you learn a song it does not mean you magically change religions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this
My children attend a school with a vast number of songs for their winter concert that have nothing to do with religion. There is a lot of appropriate music available for public schools. They have options.

if parents want their kids to sing religious songs they should be encouraged to attend the area churches and join the children's choir.

Roo1234
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting robbinsroost:

My oldest learned Hannukkah songs in K and 1st. We are not Jewish, we are Christian. I did not care and we had fun singing the songs together. It is always fun to learn about other cultures. Just because you learn a song it does not mean you magically change religions.

"I have a little dreidle" has more in common with Frosty the Snowman than it does with any song that talks about "the Lord"
deadlights86
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh for the love of god. I don't believe in god an don't teach my kids about him but I love christmas carols and my kids can sing them all day if they want to.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Quoting Roo1234:

My children attend a school with a vast number of songs for their winter concert that have nothing to do with religion. There is a lot of appropriate music available for public schools. They have options.

if parents want their kids to sing religious songs they should be encouraged to attend the area churches and join the children's choir.

Our school encompasses as many faiths as they can, to include everyone.  They don't have to cut it out completely.  And not every church has a children's choir, or even a regular choir.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh good grief. There is the option of not participating.  They take it too far.  It isn't bullying, maybe they don't like it due to religous freedoms, but it isn't bullying. It's a Christmas carol. My kids learned the driedel song and other Christmas songs from other countries and traditions.

The kids have as much right to sing the songs as the person has NOT to sing them.   Then you are going to have people say, they won't let my kid sing a Christmas carol and that is that child's freedom. They sang more than just "religious songs". They sang a mixture. Good grief. being politically correct has gone to far. Bullying is so not having to hear a song.  They play religious songs everywhere...what are you going to do, make the kid wear ear muffs? I listen to horrid, profanity laced music in public, I don't make a big deal of it.  My  kids learn halloween songs in school or sing them in class at halloween. We don't do halloween. I let them participate, it doesn't hurt them.  It isn't going to corrupt them. If you are teaching your child your beliefs at home, heaing a few songs in a program is not going to change that or harm them. Good grief.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)