Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Django Unchained' Premiere Cancelled After Shootings & Quentin Tarantino’s Comment Is Awful - Do you think it's insensitive, or honest?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

'Django Unchained' Premiere Cancelled After Shootings & Quentin Tarantino’s Comment Is Awful

Posted by Linda Sharps on December 18, 2012 

Django UnchainedIt's hard to know what sort of approach to take with entertainment events in the face of a national tragedy. Do you acknowledge it? Ignore it? Should the show always go on? In the case of Quentin Tarantino's uber-violent Django Unchained, I think the studio made a very smart decision by canceling the movie's star-studded red carpet premiere that was planned for Tuesday.

While the film's splashy LA premiere has been downgraded to a private event with no media coverage, some are still criticizing the film's planned release date: Django Unchained is set to hit theaters on Christmas Day.

Not only that, but there's controversy behind the scenes, with the movie's star and director at public odds over the role violent movies play in events like the school shooting in Newtown last week.

Jamie Foxx, who stars in the film, spoke out this weekend about his concern over violence in entertainment content:

We cannot turn our back and say that violence in films or anything that we do doesn't have a sort of influence. It does.

Quentin Tarantino, as you might imagine, had a slightly different take:

I just think you know there's violence in the world, tragedies happen, blame the playmakers. It's a western. Give me a break.

Whoever you side with in this particular debate, it seems like canceling the glitzy premiere was the best move the studio could have made. A big Hollywood event glorifying a movie chock-full of gun violence … it's just not the right time.

The studio behind Tom Cruise's upcoming movie Jack Reacher (which reportedly opens with a sniper shooting several people) must've reached the same conclusion, because they also scaled back their premiere plans, out of what Paramount described as "honor and respect for the families of the victims."

The show does go on, obviously, and the entertainment industry has reacted in ways that have been both extremely classy (the Saturday Night Live "Silent Night" cold open), and extremely awkward (Survivor's brief moment of silence for the Newtown victims before the reunion show, which made everything about the idea of contestants "surviving" a month on a game show seem petty and ridiculous).

For movies and shows that include a lot of gun violence, some may say they should be cancelled altogether. My feeling is that's unrealistic, but canceling the planned premieres -- those events intended to drum up publicity and boost audience numbers -- was the right choice.

As for Mr. Tarantino, well, I've always been a fan of his films … but maybe he should go ahead and shut his toe-licker shut for a little while. "Give me a break," indeed.

What do you think about Quentin Tarantino's comment? Did it come across as insensitive, or is he just stating the obvious?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
K_D88
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do we always blame the media...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Serenity7
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

All I know is I am going to see the movie

Venae
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Quoting K_D88:

We don't - sometimes we blame the NRA.

K_D88
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel it is time we stop finding easy outs for everything.  I think it is time for humans to take responsibility for the things they do.  I personally believe this was nothing more than satan forging his evil doings through the hands of human flesh.  If anything should be blamed evil should be, satan should be.  That is just my feelings.  I don't think it is media, or guns for that matter.  I think it is people themselves. 

Quoting Venae:

Quoting K_D88:

We don't - sometimes we blame the NRA.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM

He was right and wrong at the same time. I get tired of the media always blaming video games and or movies. I raised 3 sons who like all of the above and they are all sane. One is a teacher,one in the USAF and the third is studying criminal law and has plans to become a state trooper. There is more "gore" any night of the week on the nightly news.

katzmeow726
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

He's got a fair point.  On top of that, it's easier to blame media. The issue is that in the US it is easier to get violent media and guns than it is mental health care.  Many insurances don't cover mental health treatment, and mental health funding is often one of the biggest cuts in state and federal funding. 

It is still treated as something that isn't a real illness...when it very much is.  Mental health is a more challenging thing to fix.  But it also means the government and companies would have to admit that they are wrong, and that they'll have to allocate funds for such care.

So the focus on guns, games, and movies.  Easier target to focus on 

GertieK
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If we don't like the violence, speak up with your wallet.  Don't go see it.  Be careful with your kids.  Mental health is definitely a challenge, and needs to be addressed.  The guy was right, but a little crass.  Maybe some kids aren't affected, but you cannot believe that they aren't impacted by the consrant barrage of violence they are exposed to.  Parents bear some responsibility in this situation.  Blaming access to guns is ridiculous.  Just as you cannot blamed the club that Cain used to kill Abel.  It is the reality that we all have the capacity for evil, and sometimes people are just plain old mean, and sometimes they are mentally ill.  Figuring out which is which is the tricky part.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM

i dont think he came across insenseitive but I dont have a habit of looking very far into matters like this. Was that all he said or was there more or soemthing?

jalikym
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
He is honest. We are blaming movies like these. While kids grow up playing violent video games. Its my opinion but once you purchase a killing-maiming game, you tell your child its ok to chose to do the same. Buy a child a gun/rifle the take them to a shooting range allowing them to shoot at shapes of ppl. Followed by praise for that kill shot, what are you doing? Follow the growing up in the country rule, shoot at can targets, deer forms, bulleyes targets. Take them to turkey shoots. Take them hunting. About all else teach them to respect their elders & officials from a young age. Family is precious & we take pride in that. Make time for that family to be stronger.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)