Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Replies (141-150):
jess0315
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Put a call in before something happens to that child. Cus it will huant you if something happens that u could have prevented u will feel horrible.
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM
6 yr old is too young, god forbid a fire etc happened. I would have serious talk with his mother.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM

From my states Department of Family and Childrens Services Website:

(ATLANTA) School is out and the children are in. Now that summer is here, there will be more opportunities for children to be left home alone and more worry for parents who wonder if they should leave them without adult supervision. The Georgia Department of Human Resources urges caution and vigilance when leaving children home alone.

Like most states, Georgia does not have regulations or laws to determine when a child is considered old enough to care for her/himself or to care for other children. However, there are state guidelines administered through the Division of Family and Children Services to evaluate situations and determine if a child neglect investigation is warranted. DFCS encourages parents to use sound judgment and assess the maturity and responsibility of their children before deciding whether to leave them home alone.

"Leaving a child at home alone should never be an easy decision for a parent," said Mary Dean Harvey, director of the Division of Family and Children Services. "Many cases of neglect can be avoided if parents carefully weigh their options before leaving children unsupervised. A healthy and safe environment for the child should be at the forefront of any parent’s mind," she said.

Georgia’s Guidelines for leaving a child without adult supervision:

• Children under 8 years old should never be left alone, even for short periods of time.
  • Children between the ages of 9 and 12, based on level of maturity, can be left home alone for brief periods of time.
  • Children 13 and older can generally be left as babysitters, with the exception of children in foster care. It is not recommended, however, that 13 year olds baby sit infants, small children and children that require special attention due to medical conditions.
  • Children 15 and older can be left home alone overnight, depending on the level of maturity of the child.

Other safety precautions to consider when leaving a child unaccompanied: Don’t leave the child responsible for food preparation that involves the stove; have a neighbor or relative check in regularly or have the child check in with an adult; make a safety plan that includes 911, and rehearse it with your child.

BethanyakaRED
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM
My boys are 8 & 11 and I still make them come into the gas station with me.. Yes most likely they would be fine but on the off chance something happened i'd lose my mind. They cannot be replaced.

Same for this little boy. Chances are he will be ok but what if something happened. Could you live with yourself.

Several years ago a friend of my sisters was leaving her baby at home all night so she could go out clubbing. At that point it was about the walefare of the child not their friendship.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

No. I'd just call cps. Honestly if someone is stupid enough to leave a 6 year old home alone I doubt showing her laws would do any good.

mariee12
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Only two States have legislated a specific age to leave a child home alone, Illinois and Mariland.  Illinois you can`t leave your child home alone if he/she is under 14 years of age. and in Mariland It`s he/she is 8 years old and under. 

LovelyDayz
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I don't care about what the laws say. But I wouldn't leave my 6 yr old home ever. You never know what can happen.

Gloria.steps.up
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Amazing!!! Regardless of how mature a child might act theres always a possibility of an accident or something happening...maybe,maybe just maybe for a quick errand but the whole DAY??? Wow, no I believe thats irresponsable of the parents...sometimes we leave my son 14 n step son 13 for a couple of hrs n I have that concern in me the not 100% peace within me brcause you never know. I dont know how they do this....
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM

And what happens if he wanders away or answers the door and someone abducts him? What if there is a fire? What if he chokes? What if he decides to take a bath and slips and knocks himself unconscious? What if he decides to drink some cleaning fluid? I can't think of any scenario where it would be a good idea to leave a 6 year-old home alone.

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/homealone.cfm

dobrd
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Anonymous, This is a 6 yr. old your posting about, not a lost child.. Screw what the mother thinks, this is wrong, period.. There is a child who needs help not a mother who needs suggestions.. He may be mature for his age but, in his head he's only 6.. I'd call. I could care less how she feels or will feel.. Take Care, Donna.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)