Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
notuseless
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

what would he do if there is a break in or fire? he is not emotionally mature to make rational decisions. you need to call cps then play dumb, when you call cps its anonymous.

Quoting Anonymous:

me either. but at the same time this child is more on a 8 or 9 year old maturity level, that is why im so "should i call or not"

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what the best thing to do would be.  I know I have a 6 year old and I can't imagine leaving her home alone.  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Just be honest with them and tell them you will be calling CPS and if they don't have a problem with it, then everything is fine.

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

With whats going on in todays world it boggles my mind as to what she is thinking.

Anidawehiwahya
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

This is a no-brainer. You as a child-caregiver have a right and a responsibility to do what is right, not what you want to do. Sometimes, as adults, we have to do things we do not want or like to do in this life, but we do it anyways because it is the right thing to do. You may lose a friend, you may lose out on money, but losing a child due to some unforeseen accident, fire, burglary, or any other kind of happening is even worse yet, especially since you know. Both step-dad and mom WILL get in trouble if something happens to this child. If you cannot handle the responsibilities of reporting on child neglect and abuse, you need to get a new job/career and find something else to do with your time, as this is something that happens more often than you think. Take off the blinders and wake up. Be proactive, and stand-up for the kids, not for your relationship with the parents or your income. If you want a steady income, work in a daycare, a factory, or outside the home. In-home daycare is never guaranteed to make money. It is nice when it does, but you have to be emotionally mature to deal with the issues that come your way. So quit posting to everyone here and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! I am not posting this to be mean, I am posting this as a wake up call. There are NO SAFE neighborhoods anymore, people are dying even in our safe schools, theaters, and malls. An easy fall or trip can cause a concussion and then nobody would be there, and he wouldn't be able to get up and get the neighbor or call for help anyways!! Do what is right, you already know. Get off line, take care of the kids you have at the house and make the call that you already knew you should have. 

*If you are going to ask yourself life-changing questions, be sure to do something with the answers* Bo Bennett

Bookwormy
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM
You have answered the question yourself. She knows it is wrong, as do you. I see no choice but to report.

Quoting Anonymous:

she knows the laws. she knows what she is doing is wrong. in our state it is 12 years to be alone and 13 to be able to be alone with younger siblings.

Quoting GodsAmiga:

How about looking up the laws in your state for when a child is allowed to legally stay home alone and then showing them to her first just to let her know? She may not actually realize that it's not legally allowed-especially if her mom used to let her stay home alone all the time when she was that age.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rbrown72707
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:47 AM

When my brother and I were five and six, my parents left us home alone all the time.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

he can not stay home by himself. so yes you need to report that

nikkik526
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Really

Quoting GodsAmiga:

How about looking up the laws in your state for when a child is allowed to legally stay home alone and then showing them to her first just to let her know? She may not actually realize that it's not legally allowed-especially if her mom used to let her stay home alone all the time when she was that age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amber_jean101
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM

You should call the police and send them there a 6 year old is not capable to take care of themself! That is neglect no matter how you look at it. I have a 7 almost 8  year old and I would never even think to ever leave him home alone! He is still little!! Here you are to be 12 years old before left alone. How could you worry about a friendship not lasting when a child is being neglected like that!

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor kid.

Yeah, a lot of kids seem so miserable when forced to stay in a room with toys, lol. I guess at home alone the 6 year old can watch Cinemax and eat chips all day so its more fun. Poor kid.

It is a tough call. For the child's sake I'd give up the friendship and the money and ask the police to do a child welfare check at the house. :/ He could so easily hurt himself and lay bleeding alone on the floor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)