Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Replies (351-356):
Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Again I was home alone as a child and nothing happened. There were no fires, floods, or other acts of god, I think people just need to mind their own business.  

Quoting KRIZZ25:

Quoting Shopsha0911:

I'm not sure what the big deal is, I was home alone at 7 years old. I know times have changed but if you give them rules, don't answer the phone, don't answer the door, no using the stove, kids are fine. 

In my opinion you need to mind your own business and the government needs to stay out of this too!

WTF?? HE IS 6 YEARS OLD..HE COULD START A FIRE OR HAVE SOMEONE BRAKE IN .

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What state do you live in? 14 is excessive and extremely big brother!

Quoting Anonymous:

In our state, you are not supposed to leave a child alone under 14 years of age.

KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Quoting Shopsha0911:

THAT WAS THEN .THIS IS NOW.. U DON'T LEAVE A 6 YEAR OLD ALONE ..WTF IS WRONG WTH PPL NOW DAYS,
KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
SOME PPL DON'T NEED KIDS ..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Iowa, there is a lot wrong with Iowa and its relationships with kids.  They have gone so overboard in getting the dads involved that they do not listen to the mother at all.  They would tell us they would rule in the childs best interest, make their ruling, dads lawyer goes in to see the judge after the ruling, they come back out, and the judge reverses himself and always goes with the father, every damn time.

Our system here is very screwed up, so many children get put in unsafe situations because the judges think they know better than the moms.  They do not listen to doctors when children are diagnosed with problems and the dad does not believe it and goes to court to make trouble.

I know you did not ask for this, but this is such a pet peeve of ours.  We ended up in it with our grandchild and his biological dumb dumb..  I just home my daughter learns from her mistakes and goes from there.

Iowa courts suck.  We vote every judge out when they come up for renewal just on principal except for Judge Rosenberg, he stood by his rulings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:22 AM

No state has any laws regarding the age a child can be left alone, they have recomedations but no actual laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)