Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
jedwards2009
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Well it was 20 years ago lol. But a lot of it depends on where you live and the child. We lived in a very safe neighborhood wjere we knew all our neighbors and I knew what to do. I knew how to make my lunch and what to do and not to do. Some kids can deal with it, some cant.

Quoting Anonymous:

What yr was that because its neglect and plain stupid now a days

Quoting jedwards2009:

Eh not a big deal to me. My parents were letting me stay home alone at six. If he is responsible enough I see nothing wrong with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM

she knows the laws. she knows what she is doing is wrong. in our state it is 12 years to be alone and 13 to be able to be alone with younger siblings.

Quoting GodsAmiga:

How about looking up the laws in your state for when a child is allowed to legally stay home alone and then showing them to her first just to let her know? She may not actually realize that it's not legally allowed-especially if her mom used to let her stay home alone all the time when she was that age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM

where i live it is 12

Quoting mgm_5:

Actually some states allow kids of any age to stay home alone as long as they are not in eminent danger, i looked up CA law when my friend was leaving her son home, i even called the local p.d. To see if it was true and she said"yes but if something goes wrong, believe that cps and the p.d. Will be involved"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Idk what the best thing to do would be.  I know I have a 6 year old and I can't imagine leaving her home alone.  

nodramamama311
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand how anyone can leave a child that young alone, I can't even imagine. Our daughter is 11 and I just now starting feeling ok about leaving her home alone. 6 is WAY TOO YOUNG! I would talk to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:35 AM

me either. but at the same time this child is more on a 8 or 9 year old maturity level, that is why im so "should i call or not"

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what the best thing to do would be.  I know I have a 6 year old and I can't imagine leaving her home alone.  

New.OrleansLady
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this
8-9 maturity is still under the state law limits.

Quoting Anonymous:

me either. but at the same time this child is more on a 8 or 9 year old maturity level, that is why im so "should i call or not"

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Wow, i would tell him that the boy is allowed to go outside with supervision as well.  Geesh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM

yes it is.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

New.OrleansLady
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Exactly.... I think you answered your own question.

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it is.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)