Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Replies (331-340):
c_ramirez8606
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Hell no I would not let my 6 year old stay at home alone. That is too young for me.

mp3mom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I agree a child of 6 is too young; however, if your state has no laws, it's obviously the parents' choice. I know my oldest (now 17) would've been capable of staying at home alone at 6; I did not leave mine alone (and, believe me, it was for 5 minutes) until 12, and that was only because she had babysat. I thought if she could do that, I could leave her alone, plus we have an alarm system. IMHO, I'd think twice about calling anyone. Instead, maybe you could drop by yourself with some excuse, such as bringing him a movie or lunch. If it were me, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my friendship.

Karopie_99
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I would talk to the parents. I would never leave my 6 yr old home alone. Even if they were the smartest kid on the planet. Little kids are to impulsive, even if they do "check out"

newmommy7608
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally since its not your child I'm sure his parents don't care how you feel...you've checked the rules on this and there are none you said he checked out on everything...while I don't agree a 6 yr old should be home by him/her self I think you should drop it. And leave the cops out of it..if your that worried why don't you call him throughout the day or drive by...but your wanting to send the cops over do you think he would answer the door?? I would hope not so your actually putting him In more danger by having him answer the door than by staying out of the entire situation. Have you never heard a parent say...don't answer the door while I'm gone or for strangers??? 

Shopsha0911
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I'm not sure what the big deal is, I was home alone at 7 years old. I know times have changed but if you give them rules, don't answer the phone, don't answer the door, no using the stove, kids are fine. 

In my opinion you need to mind your own business and the government needs to stay out of this too!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

People call CPS if you breath wrong anymore, sheesh!

KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM
GET THAR ADDRESS AND GO OVER TO THE HOUSE..CALL COPS. IF I MEAN SU LOOS MONEY THAN DO IT..A CHILD LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT.THE DAD NEED TO GROW SUM BALL AND BE A MAN AND SAY HELL NO.
KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Quoting Shopsha0911:

I'm not sure what the big deal is, I was home alone at 7 years old. I know times have changed but if you give them rules, don't answer the phone, don't answer the door, no using the stove, kids are fine. 

In my opinion you need to mind your own business and the government needs to stay out of this too!

WTF?? HE IS 6 YEARS OLD..HE COULD START A FIRE OR HAVE SOMEONE BRAKE IN .
KRIZZ25
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM
6 YEARS OLD IS TO YOUNG ..ANY ONE WTH ANY BRAINED WILL SAY THAT .AS FOR THE NABORS WTF?? WHAT IF THAR NOT HOME OR DRUGGIES..I THANK THY JUST DIDN'T WONT TO PAY U EXTRA . I WOULD SAY ..HUM I ,LL ONLY CHARGE U LIKE 25-50 $ THIS WEEK .OR DO IT FOR FREE.IF IT MEANS A CHILD IS SAFE.
C8linVilla
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

There has to be a law! At 6 years old they are not at all old enough to use a microwave or oven.. He is not old enough to protect himself if anyone were to break in. He can not be trusted to stay in the house and not leave.... So many things could happen. if there truely is no law in your state then your state has a bunch of idiots running it. No offence lol but that does not seem right to me.... Id be calling 911 as soon as the step father left! and giving them the address for them to go see for themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)