Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
gammie
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
She is not a good friend if she could do this to her son. Tell her this not normal and dangerous . You are not losing much if she stops talking to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollinicole
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM
I would call the PD and have them do a well check, there are sooooo many things that could go wrong! My DD 6 and its hard for me to get a 10min shower with out being worried about if she is okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allisonc7910
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I wouldnt let my 5 year old be by herself anywhere, including home.  CPS or do the well check while he is home alone!  You can't let this slide, they could pull their other one out and this could go on till something happens. Six year olds jump on things, like beds, run with scissors, slip etc.  What if he got a cut or needs something does he go to the neighbors, and are they always there?  What if he needed help and the neighbor left for a bit.

Gabrielle1982
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

When I was a kid that wasn't a problem.  I was babysitting my younger siblings when I was 7 but nowadays, if something were to happen to that child the parents would probably be arrested for negligence.

ThreeTimesThePi
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM

call the police and anonymously report that a child might be home alone. Let them go and find him alone and deal with it. The parents might suspect you, but won't have proof you called. For all they know, a neighbor decided to call. But yes, call. If you don't and something happens, you are responsible for it too.

banana-bear
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Omg! I would never. She needs to have someone watch him or you need to call the proper authorities.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

8-9 maturity is still under the state law limits.

Quoting Anonymous:

me either. but at the same time this child is more on a 8 or 9 year old maturity level, that is why im so "should i call or not"

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what the best thing to do would be.  I know I have a 6 year old and I can't imagine leaving her home alone.  

In the state of MN, my friend had a visit from cps when her son broke both his arms. They informed her that children as young as 7 can be left at home unintended for an hour.
momofmany86
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My stepson probably would have been okay staying home at 6. My twins, no way. They have their good moments, but mostly they sneak to do things they shouldn't when we aren't looking.

Quoting jedwards2009:

Well it was 20 years ago lol. But a lot of it depends on where you live and the child. We lived in a very safe neighborhood wjere we knew all our neighbors and I knew what to do. I knew how to make my lunch and what to do and not to do. Some kids can deal with it, some cant.

Quoting Anonymous:

What yr was that because its neglect and plain stupid now a days

Quoting jedwards2009:

Eh not a big deal to me. My parents were letting me stay home alone at six. If he is responsible enough I see nothing wrong with it.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

Allebas
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

YEP!! I remember being left at home with my sister when I was 6 too! My sister was 10 at the time. My parents would go out to eat, go grocery shopping, etc. And **GASP** we had a swimming pool in our backyard! My sister and I KNEW the rules and followed them. If there is no adult to watch you by the pool, you do NOT go out by the pool period!

Quoting jedwards2009:

Eh not a big deal to me. My parents were letting me stay home alone at six. If he is responsible enough I see nothing wrong with it.

butterflycircle
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I just looked up the requirements for my state. I found that My state along with most states do not have a minimum age requirement for being left home alone. Most states might recomended that the youngest age be 8yrs old but 12 is the most common age of acceptance for this. 

I am surprised by this. I personally would never leave my 6yr old home alone. My oldest is 7 now and I have only let her stay in the car at the gas station one time. I would worry far to much that something would or could happen. Even a fairly responsible 6yr old can make bad choices. A childs brain isn't developed enough to know how to handle a dangerous situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)