Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is reasonable for an allowance ?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 27 Replies
Okay my 2 daughters always want something from the store makes going to any store difficult so I sat them down and said if they can clean their room and make their beds plus make sure to do their home work at the end of the week they will each get $10 also they asked if they help me out around the house if that counts and of course it does but all I asked for is clean room,make bed, and homework I figured that's pretty reasonable what do you ladies think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wissotamum
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds fine.  This fall, I made a check off sheet of 6 things for each of them to do everyday.  I laminated it and put it on the fridge.  The check the items off with a dry erase marker as they do them.  If they get the bulk of the stuff done, they get $5/week.  My 9 year old is able to do extra things to earn more if she wants. 

It's cut down on requests for things at the store.  My response is "yep, you can get that.  Do you have enough money to get it today, or do you need to save up some more?"  LOL, gets them every time    *evil chuckle*  However, they are really proud of themselves when they earn enough to get something they want.

2kids19yrsapart
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:54 AM

We do stickers for helping out.  Each sticker is worth .50.  Some jobs get 2 stickers.  At the end of the month (we have a monthly payday), she totals up her stickers and gets that as an allowance.  She has made between $13 and $32 a month, depending on what she does.  My dd is 6 yrs old.

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That seems fine. 

I dunno. I think they should keep their rooms clean and do their homework anyway, but... it seems like they should just do those things because it is expected of them and they could do extra stuff for spending money. In our home, homework is not an optional activity. You don't get rewarded for doing what you are supposed to do.

ladyluke2007
by Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Seems fine to me.  

daiseymae2
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Mine get 50 cents a day for doing their chores. 

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM

More than reasonable. When I was growing up both of my parents worked and I knew they could use all the help I could. I'd dust,vacuum,make simple dinners,watch my little sis,feed the dogs etc. It was really appreciated and I loved that feeling.

kandi2100
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

that sounds like a good plan wished i would have thought about that maybe thats what il start doingmy daughter is 6 yrs old as well thanks!

Quoting 2kids19yrsapart:

We do stickers for helping out.  Each sticker is worth .50.  Some jobs get 2 stickers.  At the end of the month (we have a monthly payday), she totals up her stickers and gets that as an allowance.  She has made between $13 and $32 a month, depending on what she does.  My dd is 6 yrs old.

ColieO
by Silver Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Seems like a lot to me, but it's your choice. Personally I'd do like $10a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Tasha on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Lol. My kid would love you. Anyways seems like a lot.. But they're your kids not mine. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like to much money for to little work.  Thos are things that I expect on a daily basis from my 4 and 6 yo and I don't pay them.  BTW those are things that I have to do and no one pays me for that either.  I don't think kids should get paid for things that help the household out.  JMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)