Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I need help. I'm terrified of my own son.

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, my son had just gotten home from being at his dads for a week. He was screaming and crying cause he wanted to stay with his dad. I had to hold him untill his father walked out. And then he went crazy.

I have never seen this look on my son before. It looked like he seriously wanted to kill me.

He attacked me. I know it sounds crazy to say I was scared of my own 3 year old son, but I was. he was ripping every toy out, throwing shoes at me, one shoe hit me right in the nose and I have a giant bump and bruise from it. He bit my hand so hard it left a bruise as well, and he bit my stomache and ripped a chunk out. I was balling my eyes out and at that point I went to hid in my bathroom because I was scared of him...

I dont even know who that person was... that cant be my son. he was puynching and biting himself as well.

I know he needs help but I dont know where to start. I dont have insurance at the moment, and I dont see how A doctor could help.... but after last night, I am for sure he needs it... after an hour, its like he snapped out of it and turned into a different person. He was laughing and smiling and giving me kisses... A complete 360..... Im just lost

This is his wrist from biting it so hard^

and this is my stomache where he bit a chunck out....

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
mom2ljh
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Yes. If he ever falls into a rage like that again, go straight to the ER. For now, he needs a behavioral therapist. Contact your ped for a referral.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have taken him right to the er.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
agrisham13mom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM
5 moms liked this
Are you serious?!? OP I do NOT recommend you "drugging" your child up to make him sleepy when he is brought to you. Plus benedryl could have the opposite effect and make him more angry and hyped. As a nurse I recommend bringing him first to his pediatrician ASAP. There may be a hormone issue, or something going on at dads home that needs to be addressed. That would be the first step then the dr can point you further depending on what his/her findings are. I also suggest counseling and anger management for him (yes they have it for peds it is called play therapy helps them with rage). I also suggest parenting classes for you and dad. I am NOT once so ever saying you are a bad parent please do not think that. It is good classes to teach you techniques on how to cope with this behavior and your child. They also do testing on your child (if you find a good program). I agree with a pp that said bear hug him during this. Yes that is an excellent technique wrap your arms tightly around him and clasp your legs over his. Hug him tightly and talk to him with reassurance such as "mommys here, and I love you" ect. Good Luck!

Quoting Eve-marie:

Talk to the pediatrician about giving him Benadryl, and let his father give him a dose before he brings him home. He will at least be sleepy. For when he wakes up have a fruit snack and a fun activity for him to engage in so he gets into a good mood. Also you need to build in him a respect for you. Good luck

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM

You need some help, call his doctor, he should be able to tell you what to do.

Eve-marie
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My bad. I'm just realizing this isn't an autism group. A normal child behaving like that needs discipline. I would send him to his room until he settles down. After he is reasonable I would ask him about his week at his father. Maybe something happened there that upset him. I would also ask his father about anything that could have upset him. If he just is acting out because he didn't want to come home I would let him know that if he behaves like that coming home he can't go to dads anymore. If you can't behave yourself at home you're not going anywhere. That should sort him out if it's just bad behaviour. You and his father should make sure his diet is the same generally so it's not messing with his balance. Good luck.

Quoting agrisham13mom:

Are you serious?!? OP I do NOT recommend you "drugging" your child up to make him sleepy when he is brought to you. Plus benedryl could have the opposite effect and make him more angry and hyped. As a nurse I recommend bringing him first to his pediatrician ASAP. There may be a hormone issue, or something going on at dads home that needs to be addressed. That would be the first step then the dr can point you further depending on what his/her findings are. I also suggest counseling and anger management for him (yes they have it for peds it is called play therapy helps them with rage). I also suggest parenting classes for you and dad. I am NOT once so ever saying you are a bad parent please do not think that. It is good classes to teach you techniques on how to cope with this behavior and your child. They also do testing on your child (if you find a good program). I agree with a pp that said bear hug him during this. Yes that is an excellent technique wrap your arms tightly around him and clasp your legs over his. Hug him tightly and talk to him with reassurance such as "mommys here, and I love you" ect. Good Luck!

Quoting Eve-marie:

Talk to the pediatrician about giving him Benadryl, and let his father give him a dose before he brings him home. He will at least be sleepy. For when he wakes up have a fruit snack and a fun activity for him to engage in so he gets into a good mood. Also you need to build in him a respect for you. Good luck

KayLundy3
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Do you think something happened at GIS dads? Does his father know about this? You need to take him somewhere to be seen..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saeed19
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

This is a very serious situation, and I am sorry to hear you don't have insurance coverage, because I do believe that professional help is the next best step.  Someone suggested getting a referral from a pediatrician.  If that is available for you, then that is good advice.  Alternatively, you can try to find a child psychologist in your area and consider going by fee-basis.  Finding a good psychologist is not always straightforward, but here is a link that may help (look at item #8 in particular if you don't find the others to be useful).  http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/01/26/10-ways-to-find-a-good-therapist/

If you are not in a position to pay (it will probably cost you several hundred to a few thousand dollars for therapy and assessment), then try to go through the school system as someone else suggests.

The post about possible substance use is also something to consider

However, this is quite serious and you were right to reach out for help.  You should continue down the path so you and your son can get the help that is needed. 

I wish you the very best and hope this is resolved.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I would take him for a phsical first to see if thats whats causing him to be like this.If everything is ruled out I would take him to counseling

mrsrobins2012
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My 4yr old son use to throw tantrums almost like that he would never really hurt me that bad just would hit or kick me plus he would aswell bite himself or hit himself he also goes to his dads every other week and that whole week of not knowing whats going on it really worry's me. He is now involved in HANDS and its completely free it helps him with his moods,behaviour plus he also recieves help when he is in school he is definitely doing a lot better, Im not sure what services are available in your area but you definitely should speak to a doctor or a health unit even and find out what help is out there for your son not saying anything is wrong with him but its really hard when he is only 3yrs old for him to tell you everything still. Good luck and I hope your able to find help for your son

LyTe684
by Tasha on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
The bigger question is... Why do Neither parent have insurance for this kid? No sense blaming just.one parent.

Quoting Anonymous:

Who has custody ? And why is your ex not providing insurance
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Serenity7
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I understand. I have been there

nye2linda_zps23bfdd61.png

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN