Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I need help. I'm terrified of my own son.

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night, my son had just gotten home from being at his dads for a week. He was screaming and crying cause he wanted to stay with his dad. I had to hold him untill his father walked out. And then he went crazy.

I have never seen this look on my son before. It looked like he seriously wanted to kill me.

He attacked me. I know it sounds crazy to say I was scared of my own 3 year old son, but I was. he was ripping every toy out, throwing shoes at me, one shoe hit me right in the nose and I have a giant bump and bruise from it. He bit my hand so hard it left a bruise as well, and he bit my stomache and ripped a chunk out. I was balling my eyes out and at that point I went to hid in my bathroom because I was scared of him...

I dont even know who that person was... that cant be my son. he was puynching and biting himself as well.

I know he needs help but I dont know where to start. I dont have insurance at the moment, and I dont see how A doctor could help.... but after last night, I am for sure he needs it... after an hour, its like he snapped out of it and turned into a different person. He was laughing and smiling and giving me kisses... A complete 360..... Im just lost

This is his wrist from biting it so hard^

and this is my stomache where he bit a chunck out....

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Replies (21-27):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

That sounds like a behavior issue. Possible autistic... I am not a doctor in the least. But you may need him evaluated. That is a scary thing to go through. As a PP said, the local Preschool should be able to supply you with these tests for little to no cost. Also, talk to his dad and see if he reacts this way at his house. Maybe, have him do a "Go to mommy's" route... Which is inform your son that they will be leaving in half an hour, then again we will be leaving soon. "Let's go see Mommy!" have the dad be excited. That's if you two are able to talk without issue. This should be a concern for his dad as well. You two may not be together but you two have to be parents together for your son.

jessecutez
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I agree 100% . Benadryl will not take away your problem. Your son will still have a problem that needs to be delt with. He has no ins have you( I mean op) looked into Medicaid . He will need vax before school( unless you are signing a waver, but he will still need an up to date physical ) are you planning to send him to pre school?

Quoting agrisham13mom:

Are you serious?!? OP I do NOT recommend you "drugging" your child up to make him sleepy when he is brought to you. Plus benedryl could have the opposite effect and make him more angry and hyped. As a nurse I recommend bringing him first to his pediatrician ASAP. There may be a hormone issue, or something going on at dads home that needs to be addressed. That would be the first step then the dr can point you further depending on what his/her findings are. I also suggest counseling and anger management for him (yes they have it for peds it is called play therapy helps them with rage). I also suggest parenting classes for you and dad. I am NOT once so ever saying you are a bad parent please do not think that. It is good classes to teach you techniques on how to cope with this behavior and your child. They also do testing on your child (if you find a good program). I agree with a pp that said bear hug him during this. Yes that is an excellent technique wrap your arms tightly around him and clasp your legs over his. Hug him tightly and talk to him with reassurance such as "mommys here, and I love you" ect. Good Luck!

Quoting Eve-marie:

Talk to the pediatrician about giving him Benadryl, and let his father give him a dose before he brings him home. He will at least be sleepy. For when he wakes up have a fruit snack and a fun activity for him to engage in so he gets into a good mood. Also you need to build in him a respect for you. Good luck

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Hes 3. Hes throwing a fit. It IS normal. Get a grip and discipline your child. There isnt anything "wtong" with him at 3. My best friend went through the same thing with her son when he was 4. She didnt medicate him or label him.....she got better at disaplining him. Hes 14 now and a awesome young man.

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:51 PM

If it's completely uncharacteristic, then you need to take him to the er, urgent care,ped. something, because generally kids don't fly off the handle to that kind of extreme. Sometimes, but not usually. Doesn't matter if you have insurance or not, you need to take care of your kid.

If he is a little violent with his tantrums, then it is possible he just flipped out from being over tired and hating the changes in his routine. How is he now?

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM
You scared of a 3 yr old? Should have pulled out your biggest belt. Anyway you have to nip this behavior in the butt right now, before he gets too old, teenager and he really get out of control. Put him in timeout, reward him for postive behavior. And take away something when he acts out. If he continues to show aggression seek counseling. You can't let him see you fear him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
witchybabymomma
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Counseling is probably a good idea, but you also as the parent need to stop him from harming others and himself. You are bigger then he is even if you have to hold him in a reverse hugging position until he calms down you should not let him attack others or himself.

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Also I recommend the bear hug when he gets like this . Or removing everything from his room but his bed and placing him in there . Shut the door and sit outside tell he calms down .

mine3 yr oldd did stuff like that till we sent her to her room i figure this way she can have her fit, and we dont have to listen to or be hurt by it that said is he watching stuff at dads that might make him more violent?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)