Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Anyone else live with Anemia?

Posted by   + Show Post

Can I just tell you how much I hate it!!  

by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Replies (11-18):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM
**every morning to last me through the day
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I have it from time to time, but not too severe.  When it does happen, I definitely am miserable.  Those are days I allow myself to eat a burger, usually loaded with a ton of veggies.  I don't often have burgers, but I feel like I must have one to get through those days.  I take a multivitamin with 18mg of iron everyday, but it's just not enough some days.

One thing that has helped is going on birth control pills.  My periods used to be incredibly heavy, which of course contributed to the anemia.  On BC, though, they are shorter and lighter.

Eve-marie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Yes and I just do when I can, and let it all go to hell when I can't. My husband understands that I feel rotten and my kids are quick to pull up a chair when I start to sway. Mine is due to sickle cell, so iron can only go so far to help me. When my haemoglobin is low I feel cold and trembly from the inside. It's a scary feeling, but I realize now I'm not dying. But once I almost lost my twins and had to spend a week in hospital on oxygen.
goldengirl23
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I used to but thank God I don't anymore. My anemia was a result of very heavy cycles. I took a liquid iron supplement that you can get at any vitamin shoppe. This helped me much better than any pills. I had the novasure procedure once I decided I didn't want any more kids and this resolved my anemia issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRYSTALK1013
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I've been anemic since my period started 15 years ago. It's just a part of life now. I'm used to being tired all the time. I've had to have 2 blood transfusions and iron infusions twice a year. They suck, but I have to do what I have to do.

momatippie
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

What is the Novasure?   I have had my tubes tied.  I have tried birth control it made me bleed more and made me gain weight.  I am scared to try an IUD my body does not do well with any type of hormones and my insurance does not cover the non hormonal one.  Ugh

Quoting goldengirl23:

I used to but thank God I don't anymore. My anemia was a result of very heavy cycles. I took a liquid iron supplement that you can get at any vitamin shoppe. This helped me much better than any pills. I had the novasure procedure once I decided I didn't want any more kids and this resolved my anemia issues.

umm.yeah
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I have been slightly anemic for many years but didn't know it until I was diagnosed with leukemia.  The pill I take to treat the cancer is hard on the red blood cells too so my anemia is worsened by it.  For some reason my body does not absorb the oral iron supplements so taking iron pills really does nothing for me.  I eat a lot of iron rich foods but very little is absorbed.  When my iron stores get too low I go in for some IV iron.  Last time I was there my iron was so low they had a hard time finding a vein to accomodate the IV.   It really sucks and the fatigue is horrible sometimes.  But for me I can't tell if the fatigue is from the leukemia or the anemia until it gets really bad and then I know I need some iron.  Hang in there - listen to the docs and you will find a way to control it.

goldengirl23
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM
You can google it and/or ask your GYN. It's a procedure to the lining of your uterus for women suffering from heavy menstrual cycles. But you have to be sure you are finished having kids because it won't allow your uterus to hold a baby anymore. I see you've had your tubes tied so you've already made that decision. Your insurance should cover Novasure. Best wishes to you.

Quoting momatippie:

What is the Novasure?   I have had my tubes tied.  I have tried birth control it made me bleed more and made me gain weight.  I am scared to try an IUD my body does not do well with any type of hormones and my insurance does not cover the non hormonal one.  Ugh

Quoting goldengirl23:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN