Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Woman tried to buy several iPads with her EBT card. Twice?? What do you think was going through this woman’s mind?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

Food Stamps Aren’t for iPads … They’re for Food, People.

Posted by Jenny Erikson on January 2, 2013 

A woman walked into a Wal-Mart and tried to buy several iPads with her EBT card. Twice. Food stamps for iPads. Tracy Browning, a 38-year-old Louisville, Kentucky woman, allegedly attempted to purchase the Apple tablets using an Electronic Benefit Transfer card, then assaulted store employees and took off with the merchandise when it didn’t work. She was arrested when she tried to do the same thing at another Wal-Mart a few hours later.

According to Louisville police, Browning had previously been banned from all Wal-Mart locations for other incidents with the discount retailer. She’s been charged with robbery, shoplifting, and trespassing, and has been booked into the Louisville Metro jail. No word on what those prior incidences were, or if they involved theft or fancy electronics.

What the heck was she thinking? How does one justify spending welfare money on not just one iPad, but several? The EBT program is in place to help people down on their luck -- not for expensive toys. How extreme does your sense of entitlement have to be to make this decision ok?

Maybe we should change the name of the EBT program to OPM -- Other People’s Money. It seems that some people, this lady to as an extreme example, have forgotten that government handouts don’t come from the money tree on the White House lawn. The government can’t give you something without taking it away from someone else first.

We could argue all day about whether or not welfare rewards laziness, or the amount of fraud that actually occurs, or what restrictions should be placed on the kinds of food that can be purchased, but I think we can all agree that it’s nuts to expect to buy iPads with food stamps. It’s supposed to be a safety net, not a hammock.

Browning gives people that really need assistance a bad rap. We all come into hard times, which is why we have programs like TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). No one needs an iPad, but people do need to eat, and sometimes they just don’t have the family or community available to help. Idiots like Browning don’t help the public image of welfare recipients, and that’s not fair to those responsibly using the system.

No matter how we decide to tackle the welfare issue in our country, I think it’s safe to assume that no rational person will approve of using EBT funds to buy multiple iPads at Wal-Mart. At least I hope.

What do you think was going through this woman’s mind?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM
That is crazy. Me and my hubby were recieving help at one point bc he was the only one working n i was a stay at home mom. But now we both have jobs n a house paid off our car. We will not ever go back to recieving help unless desperately needed. I hate how some ppl abusing the system. For example my sister is a mom of 6 kids n got laid off gets food n cash support but is not bothing to look for a job. (pisses me off). My other sister who will have 2 babies any week now who swore up n downhe would never be like my other sister is doing just that cash n food support. I even asked her if she wanyed to babysit my kids while i work mind u it would only be 3 hours from 1-3 pm when hubby gets off work. I work from 1-7pm. I was like that way you can have a bit of extra cash for babies. Guess what she said!!? Well i dont think i want to besides im getting cash assistance. My face was priceless :o even made a comment how she saidshe would never be like that. Lol i hate hate ppl like this. That are supposed to be putting clothes on their backs as well as their family n food in their mouths. You want expensive toys GET A JOB! Simple as that.
Bethsunshine
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Well, according to popular opinion on Cafemom, EVERYONE, especially people on assistance, deserves to have nice things. Just because she's on assistance, which she obviously NEEDS, doesn't mean she shouldn't have an expensive electronic device. *note heavy use of sarcasm font*

Aivlys_
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM
What a loser, I don't think anything of value was going through her mind!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GUTTADABOSSLADI
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Sometimes people think since they receive cash assistance on those same cards so I guess she figured she should be able to purchase whatever she wants with her cash assistance. PLEASE STOP judging people who get help from the government because everybody case is different when I was getting food stamps I did right by them and then we started making more money they cut the food stamps and gave us medicaid. Just because you think someone isn't trying to get off their asses and work don't mean they don't want better. I am a SAHM and I looked for a job for years, I have the education and all but in my town people hire who they know not what they can do..PLEASE HOLD UR TONGUE WHEN U DON'T KNOW THEIR STRUGGLE. I'M HIGHLY UPSET WITH THIS ONE...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Yes we dont know everyones struggles but in my case i know for a fact both my sisters dont want to gdt off their ass. Where i work there are plenty of job openings and none require special abilitys or to much education. I have let them know about the jobs n still they dont do anything. Oh and when their food n cash support gets lowered they say omg my case worker sucks shes not doing her job right so on n so forth. There are ppl out there who truely need help but the ones who dont n know it should be ashamed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)