Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Feel so stupid and like I should cancel the check--edit--small update**update in replies**

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 67 Replies
This may get long...sorry in advance
We lost our beloved golden on Christmas. At first we weren't going to get another dog right away, but our other golden is very lonely and so is my hubby...he misses his dog. After searching for a few days we found someone in our price range. She said she wasn't good with computers so she didn't know how to use PayPal so I said I would send her a check. She is 2 hours a way so we wouldn't be able to visit before picking up the dog. She really sounded for real. She said she would send pics Monday night. She called back later and said her son was going out and he would send them Tuesday. Tuesday I didn't get anything. I called her and she said they were working on it. She still seemed sincere though. Never got pictures. I sent her a text telling her she could text the pics since email clearly wasn't working. She sends a text back saying it won't let her. I sent her one back asking her to try my husbands # still nothing. That was yesterday evening. The check is already out and should have arrived today if not tomorrow. I asked her to call once she got it, but I'm really feeling like we got scammed. She had many pics online of the same dog and talking to her she had so many details. I have checked her out...her name and address are legit. Should I give her a few more days or start worrying?

Just to clarify to everyone who keeps asking why didnt you pay for the dogwhen you get it? Every single breeder i have talked to requires a deposit to hold the dog...not just her. It is common practice. We gave her a DEPOSIT...not full payment. We already have a date scheduled to pick up the dog...feb. 2nd. I spoke with her today and she is going to send pics tonight. If i dont receive them by tomorrow, we are going to cancel payment and look elsewhere.

UPDATE: she called today and asked if i had FB. I added her and got pics of all the pups plus she emailed me one of just our puppy. I am feeling much better about the situation now.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM
I would worry. If she wasnt keeping in contact with you then something is up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I tend to be a very nervous person so I call more than I should so I'm trying not to call cuz I think she is getting sick of me, but she now has 400.00 of my money.

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I would be nervous about sending that kind of money too! I would cancel the check. It just sounds fishy to me. And I would have told her PayPal or no money.

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I tend to be a very nervous person so I call more than I should so I'm trying not to call cuz I think she is getting sick of me, but she now has 400.00 of my money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rayroe2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If she is a breeder is would know how to use paypal. was the going to be shipped to you?

2kids19yrsapart
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

From someone who used to work in a bank...CANCEL THAT CHECK ASAP!! If she hasn't sent pics of the dog, I wouldn't deal with her.  If it were me, I would have driven the 2 hrs to see the dog, pay her cash there, and take the dog home with me.  

I hope you can cancel the check in time, before she steals your money. Just get there as soon as the bank opens tomorrow!!

2kids19yrsapart
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quoting 2kids19yrsapart:

From someone who used to work in a bank...CANCEL THAT CHECK ASAP!! If she hasn't sent pics of the dog, I wouldn't deal with her.  If it were me, I would have driven the 2 hrs to see the dog, pay her cash there, and take the dog home with me.  

I hope you can cancel the check in time, before she steals your money. Just get there as soon as the bank opens tomorrow!!

PS...just because she had pics posted online doesn't mean that is HER dog.  She could have taken pics of someone else's dog, or stolen them off the internet.

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop payment NOW.  All you will be out is $25 instead of hundreds.  Didn't your parents ever teach you not to buy a pig in a poke?  In the future, go look at what you are buying before you pay for it, unless you are buying from a major, well known store.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting 2kids19yrsapart:

The puppies arent ready til 1/28. Even the most reputable of breeders require a deposit to hold a puppy so i didnt see it as odd. I did keep a copy of the letter and check so i can bring her to court if she doesnt follow through. I checked her address it is legit and matches her name so im not worried about that.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Quoting rayroe2:

If she is a breeder is would know how to use paypal. was the going to be shipped to you?

I guess she is considered a backyard breeder. She is private and only deals locally. This is her dogs 2nd litter. We are driving down there 2/2 to pick up the pup but like most breeders she requires a deposit in advance to hold the pup.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I find it really odd. When we sold our puppy we brought the dog to the person and got payment right then and there. I would never send someone money though the mail. It definitely sounds like a scam. If I were you I'd cancel the check and tell her you'll give her the full payment when you pick the dog up.

I could easily post a picture of someone else's dog or pictures of the puppies I had online. Sadly there are a lot of scam artists out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)