Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Feel so stupid and like I should cancel the check--edit--small update**update in replies**

This may get long...sorry in advance
We lost our beloved golden on Christmas. At first we weren't going to get another dog right away, but our other golden is very lonely and so is my hubby...he misses his dog. After searching for a few days we found someone in our price range. She said she wasn't good with computers so she didn't know how to use PayPal so I said I would send her a check. She is 2 hours a way so we wouldn't be able to visit before picking up the dog. She really sounded for real. She said she would send pics Monday night. She called back later and said her son was going out and he would send them Tuesday. Tuesday I didn't get anything. I called her and she said they were working on it. She still seemed sincere though. Never got pictures. I sent her a text telling her she could text the pics since email clearly wasn't working. She sends a text back saying it won't let her. I sent her one back asking her to try my husbands # still nothing. That was yesterday evening. The check is already out and should have arrived today if not tomorrow. I asked her to call once she got it, but I'm really feeling like we got scammed. She had many pics online of the same dog and talking to her she had so many details. I have checked her out...her name and address are legit. Should I give her a few more days or start worrying?

Just to clarify to everyone who keeps asking why didnt you pay for the dogwhen you get it? Every single breeder i have talked to requires a deposit to hold the dog...not just her. It is common practice. We gave her a DEPOSIT...not full payment. We already have a date scheduled to pick up the dog...feb. 2nd. I spoke with her today and she is going to send pics tonight. If i dont receive them by tomorrow, we are going to cancel payment and look elsewhere.

UPDATE: she called today and asked if i had FB. I added her and got pics of all the pups plus she emailed me one of just our puppy. I am feeling much better about the situation now.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
marshsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Cancel payment and go to the shelter.  I promise your hubby will find the perfect dog there.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Quoting marshsmom:

Cancel payment and go to the shelter.  I promise your hubby will find the perfect dog there.

You don't know my hubby. The only dog he wants is a pure bred golden retriever puppy.

rayroe2
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Hope it is legit. Good luck.

marshsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I understand that breeders want a deposit to hold the dog, but you can't possibly know that she is reputable without going there in person and seeing for yourself.  How would you feel if you went there and it was a puppy mill and mother dog was unhealthy and kept in deplorable conditions?  You should cancel the check and call her and tell her your bringing cash.  Or like I said in my pp, go to the shelter and don't even support her breeding.  There are plenty of golden's at shelters all over the place and plenty of rescue groups willing to help transport.  You could even go to a breed specific rescue if your hubby is picky about the breed.  It will cost less and you will be saving a life and contributing to saving others.

kim8934
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM

cancel the check and let her know.  Scammers can act dumb too

sununner36
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never go through a breeder again, not with so many dogs out in shelters and rescue groups. Most rescue groups have pure bred dogs too.  Also, never, never pay for a dog until you see them in person.  Stop the check, this is a scam.

Every Second of Every Day is a New Beginningpuppy

adrosie08
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Why not take a drive to the breeders to see the dog in person?? 

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Quoting adrosie08:

Why not take a drive to the breeders to see the dog in person?? 

Because its a two hour drive each way. That is a long drive with 4 kids. We have someone to watch them the day we pick up the dog, but we dont have much family near by and i only trust family with my kids so we could only find someone for the day we pick him up.

adrosie08
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I completely understand that. We have four kids and my family, I clearly remember going to visit our dog at the breeders before actually getting to take our girl home. It might be worth it just to see! 

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Quoting adrosie08:

I completely understand that. We have four kids and my family, I clearly remember going to visit our dog at the breeders before actually getting to take our girl home. It might be worth it just to see! 

Well she is communicating more today so i am going to give her the benefit. She did say she works a lot which i understand. She told me today that today is her last day of her long work stretch so she will send pics. If i dont hear from her by tomorrow afternoon, i will be stopping payment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)